ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Directory used by the Paste-As-File function

(1/3) > >>

superticker:
How do I control the directory used by the Paste-As-File operation?  I would like to save these files on my Desktop.  How do I do that?

mouser:
The paste-as-file function (an idea stolen from DC member Chris Gingerich) tries to paste the file into WHATEVER APPLICATION WINDOW IS IN FRONT.

So basically if you wanted to paste a clip on your desktop, you go to your desktop and click on it and then use the function.  Or open a file explorer and go to the directory you want to paste into and invoke it there.

superticker:
Wow, that response was impressively fast.  :D

Hmmm, apparently it's not working then; I get the bell sound whenever I invoke it.  How do I get an error message out of CHS when the bell sounds?

Also, if it's pasting into an application window, then what's the file name associated with Paste-As-File used for?  (I must be missing something.)

I searched the forum, but no one mentions this feature.  I must be the only one having problems with it.

mouser:
It's not a commonly known feature..

then what's the file name associated with Paste-As-File used for?
--- End quote ---

Let me clarify.  This feature is for pasting the clip contents (text or image) as a newly created file, with the filename specified.

Therefore, it is only useful when "pasting" into a File Explorer program, or on the desktop (though it's possible that desktop pasting doesn't work on all versions of windows?).

When you do a "paste as file" -- a new file should be created with the filename you have specified.

If pasting to the desktop is not working, maybe try pasting inside Windows File Explorer or whatever third party file explorer you use.

Make sure you are in a window where you can create a new file (and have persmission to do so).  And try triggering the paste-as-file function from the quick pop-up menu.

superticker:
... if it's pasting into an application window, then what's the file name associated with Paste-As-File used for?
-superticker (June 26, 2017, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Okay, if I click the Desktop, then invoke the Paste-As-File feature, I get a file created on the Desktop with the associated Paste-As-File file name.  That works nicely.  Interesting feature....  I've been using CHS for several years and didn't even know it could do this.

But if I open a Notepad window, then invoke the Paste-As-File function, I get nothing....  Okay, I just read your followup post, which says I must use a File Explorer directory management program instead, and the goal is to create a new file, not paste into an arbitrary open window.  I think I got it now.  Thanks for all the help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version