topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 6:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how to compare two huge music directories playback length and file count of corr  (Read 6581 times)

rupeshforu3

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have a huge directory of size 150 gb of which 93 gb are mp3 files which are speeches recorded by someone at 64 kbps and remaining are music files with bitrate between 96 kbps to 216 kbps.

I want to compress all these files and store these in external memory card. Upon performing a number of experiments I came to conclusion that opus codec is best for speeches and mp4 files generated using aac(Nero acc encoder) is best for music with crystal clear quality at even lower bitrates.

I have converted 93 gb speech files to opus files and occupied 30 gb and converted remaining music files to mp4 files which occupied 20 gb. I have choosed lamexp for conversion which is a best open source software which combines binaries of other encoders including lame, opusenc, NeroAacEnc etc.,. For opus encoding I have used 11 kbps,16 kbps and 24 kbps. For aac encoding I have used 48 kbps and 56 kbps. For all encoding I have used 48000 Hz sample rate.

Even though I have used lower bitrates for conversion the resulted output files are of acceptable quality. The output file names generated and directory structure are identical to source.

During conversion very few of the original files are ignored and so no output files generated for those. Some very few of files are not transcoded properly I mean suppose source file is of 50 minutes length it was transcoded to a file containing 5 minutes or 10 minutes in length but the source and destination file names are identical. I have noticed those differences by examining some source and destination directories.

Sometimes I think that a huge amount of files are not transcoded properly as illustrated above. I want to compare source and destination directories and obtain a list of files with paths which are not transcoded properly.

Suppose I have a directory of size 23 gb and 2400 files and I have transcoded to a destination directory of size 5 gb and 2200 files.
can anyone of you suggest how to the list of the missing 200 file's.

Suppose I have a directory of playback length 600 hours distributed into various files say 1000 files and I have transcoded these files and the resulting file count is 1000 of playback length say 500 hours.  Can anyone of you suggest how to obtain the list of files with paths which are different in playback length.

Atleast can you suggest how to obtain the playback length of the total directory which contains 150 files.

In playtime app I am unable to see any entries when I add a folder containing mp3 files but at status at the bottom I am able to see 1000 files loaded. When I add a folder containing opus files I am unable to see anything. I have copied the mediainfo folder to program files which is extracted and added path to system settings.Can you suggest how to configure mediainfo in playtime app.

Regards,
Rupesh.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi, rupeshforu3, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.

In playtime app I am unable to see any entries when I add a folder containing mp3 files but at status at the bottom I am able to see 1000 files loaded.

That's odd.  You should see something like this:

2017-06-25_103630.pnghow to compare two huge music directories playback length and file count of corr

When I add a folder containing opus files I am unable to see anything. I have copied the mediainfo folder to program files which is extracted and added path to system settings.Can you suggest how to configure mediainfo in playtime app.

You need to add the opus extension to the audio extension list like this:

2017-06-25_104009.pnghow to compare two huge music directories playback length and file count of corr

rupeshforu3

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have followed your suggestions and added opus in audio codecs section and at present the app is able to load files but it is showing 0 in all fields of all files.

When I export the content to csv file and when I open the file in Microsoft office excel only the file name and file path are occupying the whole row of the corresponding file and so there are no other options like size, play back length etc.,

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Would you please post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I believe you can get to what you're trying to do by using XYplorer (the Windows Explorer replacement). This has a means of adding to the displayed file list various file attributes, including what it can pull from ID3 tags of audio files, or EXIF tags in images. Once you've got them displayed with the track length, there's a function for outputting the directory list as a "report" into a file. So if you do this for both directories, using the same sort sequence, and then diff the two files (using a tool like WinMerge).

One possible hole in this is that I'm not sure if it's able to read opus files.

rupeshforu3

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
At present I have followed the steps below

1. Opened play time app
2. I have added opus seperated by comma in audio section of options
3. I have selected include sub folders in options
4. I have added a directory which contains 1562 opus files and 5 sub directories
5. Play time has not shown any files at all but shown loaded 1562 files in status at the bottom
6. I have selected justify columns in view sub menu after that it showed all files but with 0 in size field and left empty for most of the fields.
7. I have exported the contents to csv file and the csv file is nicely formatted but left empty most of the fields

I am providing the screen shots of what I seen below

Screenshot (5).pnghow to compare two huge music directories playback length and file count of corr

Screenshot (6).pnghow to compare two huge music directories playback length and file count of corr

Screenshot (1).pnghow to compare two huge music directories playback length and file count of corr

Screenshot (2).pnghow to compare two huge music directories playback length and file count of corr

Screenshot (3).pnghow to compare two huge music directories playback length and file count of corr

Screenshot (4).pnghow to compare two huge music directories playback length and file count of corr

rupeshforu3

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I forgot to mention that what happened to opus files are also occurring same to mp3 files and so I have provided screen shots of mp3 files also.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmmm...very strange.  Which operating system are you running?  Also, could you try running PlayTime with administrator rights?

rupeshforu3

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for your suggestions and it is working perfectly and I am able to see file properties like codec, channels,size,length etc., but unable to see others like depth,height,framerate etc., which I don't want and I want mainly size and length, file name, path.

I am running Windows 8.1 pro. Upto now I ran with normal privileges and so it has not worked and by launching with administrative privileges it worked perfectly. Is it possible to always run with administrative privileges when I click shortcut in desktop.

When I export the content to csv file and open the  file in excel date modified column is not displayed properly. The path field for some files are not uploaded properly. I am providing the csv file generated as an attachment and so please examine the content especially path column and in that too examine first few rows and middle rows and at last bottom rows. The path field for bottom rows are uploaded properly and for some middle rows not uploaded properly.

The main issue is is it possible to calculate total playback length in the csv file generated I mean sum the total length column. As I have transcoded a directory containing 1562 files to opus is it possible to compare csv files of source and destination directories regarding length column.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for your suggestions and it is working perfectly and I am able to see file properties like codec, channels,size,length etc., but unable to see others like depth,height,framerate etc., which I don't want and I want mainly size and length, file name, path.

There won't be any data for the depth, height, and framerate fields because those are video specific fields.  You're working with audio files.

I am running Windows 8.1 pro. Upto now I ran with normal privileges and so it has not worked and by launching with administrative privileges it worked perfectly. Is it possible to always run with administrative privileges when I click shortcut in desktop.

Under Windows 7, right-click the EXE and choose Properties.  Go to the Compatibility tab and check the "Run this program as an administrator" box.  I'm assuming Windows 8 is similar.
 Alternatively, you can move the program to a non-UAC-protected folder.

When I export the content to csv file and open the  file in excel date modified column is not displayed properly.

This is almost certainly because Excel is converting the date into whatever date format you have set in Excel.

The path field for some files are not uploaded properly. I am providing the csv file generated as an attachment and so please examine the content especially path column and in that too examine first few rows and middle rows and at last bottom rows. The path field for bottom rows are uploaded properly and for some middle rows not uploaded properly.

Your paths look fine to me but I have nothing to compare them to.  I mean, they're your paths, right?  I don't know exactly what to expect them to look like.  It could be another case of Excel formatting the data.  The best thing to do would be to use a CSV file viewer that won't change the data.  You can use NirSoft's CSVFileView found here: http://www.nirsoft.n...s/csv_file_view.html  You could also simply look at the CSV file directly in a text editor (like Notepad) and see if the data is correct.

The main issue is is it possible to calculate total playback length in the csv file generated I mean sum the total length column. As I have transcoded a directory containing 1562 files to opus is it possible to compare csv files of source and destination directories regarding length column.

What you're asking for is beyond the scope of PlayTime.  That is, PlayTime offers no sort of comparison features like what you're describing.  The CSV export just exports the list contents.  What you do after that is your own business.

rupeshforu3

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for your suggestions and my issue is resolved. Upto now I have used a number of tools or software like mediainfo,mediaconch,mp3tag etc., but none worked and I thought playtime is also similar to that but by following your valuable suggestions my need is fulfilled.

I am searching for a proper csv file viewer and so my goal may be achieved.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I am searching for a proper csv file viewer and so my goal may be achieved.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/csv_file_view.html

rupeshforu3

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks I have installed the app you specified and it is showing all fields properly.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks I have installed the app you specified and it is showing all fields properly.

Great to hear.  =]  Thank you for your patience on this.