topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: help needed: Windows programming, C++ wrapper  (Read 4897 times)

gjq

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
help needed: Windows programming, C++ wrapper
« on: June 21, 2017, 07:48 AM »
Hi,

We need to send and relay messages and game events between two PCs:

PC#1
(PC with Unreal Engine 2, running Windows 7 or soon 10, that also has incoming messages...not sure how this is connected to PC#1...maybe USB/recognized as a string?)
  |
  |  TCP/IP
  |
  v
PC#2
(PC hooked to the SR Research eye tracker system, running DOS).

We need some kind of wrapper, I think, perhaps in C++, that
1. calls functions provided by SR Research's EyeLink eye tracker API (in form of DLLs on PC#1) AND
2. takes messages from the Unreal Engine 2 gaming engine

to relay the messages (corresponding to events within the game) and the messages coming into PC#1 via TCP/IP from PC#1 to PC#2 (specifically to the eye tracking log files.

If I have understood correctly, there is no way to call functions in DLLs from Unreal Engine 2 (this feature was introduced in UE3 via
DLLBind).

Someone on one of the forums had suggested, "Why do you not simply create a HINSTANCE object using the LoadLibrary function and reference the function from that instance into an FARPROC object using the GetProcAddress function?" (I'm not a programmer, def not a Windows programmer, so I have no idea what he means :-P)

Help? And if anyone has any documentation about UnrealScript2 (specifically looking at recording gameplay, for example), I would also very much appreciate it!!

Thanks!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: help needed: Windows programming, C++ wrapper
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:37 AM »
Hi gjq.. I'm sorry no one has posted a reply to your post yet.. I think this probably requires some specialized  of unreal engine, and you might have better luck on an unreal engine forum..

gjq

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: help needed: Windows programming, C++ wrapper
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 04:41 AM »
Hi Mouser,
Thanks for the sympathy and keeping an eye out! Tried the UE forums, but UE2 is so old...and actually, the trickier thing for me, with no C++ background is to write the wrapper that calls both the eye tracker API and UE2 (I have VBS scripts that launches UE2...I guess should be straightforward to translate to C++?)
gjq