ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Developers who use spaces make more money than those who use tabs

<< < (4/7) > >>

wraith808:
As Deozaan says, it also means that you (you special snowflake!) is trying to dictate how wide my indents are supposed to be, instead of letting that be up to my editor settings. Editor settings that probably vary depending on whether I'm on a machine with big monitors, or editing in Vim through SSH.
-f0dder (June 21, 2017, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not really.  If that's what the team decides on, then that's what the team does as a rule.  And when others come into the team, they adhere to the standard.  Right?

f0dder:
As Deozaan says, it also means that you (you special snowflake!) is trying to dictate how wide my indents are supposed to be, instead of letting that be up to my editor settings. Editor settings that probably vary depending on whether I'm on a machine with big monitors, or editing in Vim through SSH.
-f0dder (June 21, 2017, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not really.  If that's what the team decides on, then that's what the team does as a rule.  And when others come into the team, they adhere to the standard.  Right?
-wraith808 (June 21, 2017, 07:55 PM)
--- End quote ---
It sucks if the team has made the misguided decision to use spaces, but yes.

anandcoral:
It is personal choice.

I use tab with 4 character setting. The code looks wider on other text file viewer because of default 8 characters. One of our developer uses 2 character for tab and also some time space-bar. His/her code looks awful on my editor and I have run re-indent. Still he/she is happy with his/her style. So it is a personal choice.

Regards,

Anand

Tuxman:
OpenBSD uses 8 spaces which might or might not improve the code legibility (thus: security).

MilesAhead:
I consider languages insisting on indentation for semantics (like Python) to have made a really bad choice in that regard. The intention might have been to make program structure clearer, but it's dictatorial "we know better" that doesn't belong in a language, and it ends up causing more troubles than it solves.
-f0dder (June 21, 2017, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't do much with Python.  However it does seem much more natural to type a block by hitting Enter, then Tab rather than holding down the shift key and hitting a curly brace.  At the end of the block you hit backspace to back off the indentation rather than again holding down the shift key and hitting another curly brace.  I didn't find it all that problematic when using an editor that knows Python.

You're either using a very, very narrow monitor (for professional development I've been on 120 columns with plenty of real estate for an IDE for 5+ years), or having crazy amounts of indents.
--- End quote ---

I guess you don't use end of line comments much.

I've been using tab-is-4-spaces indenting for some 15+ years, but I'm considering changing that to oldschool 8, since it forces you to reduce indentation - preferably by splitting your code into shorter, coherent functions.

--- End quote ---

So use an editor that has a hard tab/spaces option.  I don't get the controversy.  But for people who may type in the < 30 wps range hitting shift brace combinations is distracting and causes a lot of lint since it is easy to get a bracket when you want a brace.  Also I notice many IDEs, at least in free tools, lack a reformatting indentation parser(such as Tidy.)  When I used Delphi 5 I found it liberating to just type in the code all messy and hit the function key for Delforex to indent and capitalize according to rules etc..  If everything lined up chances were good I did not have any typos.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version