ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Developers who use spaces make more money than those who use tabs

<< < (6/7) > >>

Edvard:
btw was it mentioned anywhere how much $/space they are paying?  I can crank up the autorepeat rate and hold down the space bar with the best of 'em!   :)

-MilesAhead (June 23, 2017, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

It wasn't so much a $/space thing, I mean, maybe if they asked how many spaces they used to indent code, you might find some correlation, but I don't even...

I think the bigger question here is WHY those who use spaces make more money.  The author of the article claims there was no single factor other than spaces vs. tabs that would come up with a consistent disparity.  The only thing I could think of right off was maybe because Python devs may be in higher demand (therefore paid more), and it skewed the results towards Python rather than raw spaces vs. tabs.  But again, according to the article, the author tried finding some cross-reference that would reveal some sort of confounding factor, but found none, including choice of programming language.  :huh:

As some of the comments state, it may even be due to bad data passed via a flawed survey, who knows?

For your entertainment:  ;D

wraith808:
It is a apparent that this is one of those things, like religion and politics, that people adhere to and have their own opinions on (which is the reason that I've backed off at some of the vehemence), and I don't doubt that this is one of those click-baity titles, and with more indepth good scientific and statistics and better data, wouldn't hold up to the light of investigation and there'd be little to no correlation nor causation.

On that note, I'd recommend an old book to allow one to see the lies we are fed daily under the cover of statistical analysis- I know it has made me look at such things in a different light.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Lie_with_Statistics

f0dder:
It is a apparent that this is one of those things, like religion and politics, that people adhere to and have their own opinions on-wraith808 (June 24, 2017, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's what people who use filthy spaces would have you believe - us tabbers have the objective facts, obviously.

;)

Shades:
Tabs...are just fake spaces.  :P

hamradio:
My first thought jokingly of course...is that it takes them longer to enter spaces verses tabs and if they get paid by the hour...then more time was spent with spaces... :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version