ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Your First Programming Language vs Now

<< < (3/5) > >>

p3lb0x:
What was your first programming language?
I think the first programming language I really did anything in was Lua for creating mods for the game Cortex Command.
Amounting to:
Eventually moved on to PHP for programming class in high school (and hating it immensely) and Assembly for the electronics class (though I used C for the final project)
This translated well into Assembly, then C, then C++ and C# at university.

Can you remember a snippet from that language?
Not really, I do dabble every now and then in Lua for various reasons (WoW interface mods being the latest IIRC)

What's your current language of choice?
I've become really partial to C# because of the convenience of having most common things handled for you through the .NET framework. And the syntax is pleasing to me. C++ is my bae, though.

How would you rewrite that snippet in your current language?
If I had to rewrite something similar to the Brolands mod in C# I would definitely take advantage of the OOP paradigm.
Here is the single file I had for pretty much all code used. Note uneven indentation, barely any refactoring of code blocks to functions and pointer being used instead of reference as Lua has no pointers.

Tuxman:
1. What was your first programming language?

Given that "batch files" are not really "programming", it was either QBasic or Turbo Pascal. However, my memories of QBasic are (too) long gone, so I'll stick with Turbo Pascal. If I remember correctly, my short Visual Basic experiences were after that; or were they? Ah, growing old is not for sissies.

2. Can you remember a snippet from that language?

Does "Hello World" count?  ;D (I moved my focus to Delphi not much later, which was and still is "like Pascal" but different.)

3. What's your current language of choice?
4. How would you rewrite that snippet in your current language?

The one fascinating thing with these two questions is the assumption that there is exactly one language I'd choose for anything. Does anyone here really stick to one language?

Not counting my paid day job (which involves Java and C#), I write

[*]web applications in C, C++, Python, Common Lisp, or (if I'm in a hurry or I need to maintain existing code) PHP
[*]recurring server tasks in Perl, POSIX shell script, or Common Lisp
[*]desktop applications in C or Delphi (I stopped caring for Electron), still maintaining older C++ applications though
[*]other browser things in JavaScript because they force me to.

[/list]

Next up (if I'll find some time in the next decade or so): x86 ASM and (more) COBOL.

Do you really need a "Hello World" in all these languages?  :huh:

Ath:
Next up (if I'll find some time in the next decade or so): x86 ASM and (more) COBOL.
-Tuxman (July 17, 2017, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
x86 ASM I can relate to, but Cobol... remember wat Edsger W. Dijkstra said about that: "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense." (ref)
(And Yes, I do know how to program in Cobol and can confirm/confess that Edsger's quote is true)

Tuxman:
COBOL is awesome for trolling people.  Assume a web application with bells and whistles and people want to see the source and it's all caps.  ;D

wraith808:
-Tuxman (July 17, 2017, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
x86 ASM I can relate to, but Cobol... remember wat Edsger W. Dijkstra said about that: "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense." (ref)
(And Yes, I do know how to program in Cobol and can confirm/confess that Edsger's quote is true)
-Ath (July 18, 2017, 02:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I also know how to program in COBOL.  It's not something I enjoyed or would do, but there are several people that don't feel the same way.  That statement is pure hyperbole, IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version