ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Your First Programming Language vs Now

<< < (2/5) > >>

wraith808:
    How would you rewrite that snippet in your current language?
[…]
    Yes
-wraith808 (June 12, 2017, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
O_o?
-ConstanceJill (June 13, 2017, 12:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I would think that since the rest of the post is the actual doing of that, one could overlook that word's inclusion.  :P

MilesAhead:
My first programs were written in GWBasic.  The first one that was actually useful was just a console program with a menu to calculate how much of each ingredient to put in the mix to conjure up this hot glue we had to mix for test batches at the research lab where I worked.  You could put in the weight of any ingredient or the total weight you wanted to produce of the glue.  We were doing it using a calculator.  Fortunately the PC in work also had a 5 1/4" floppy so I could run my program.  It was just faster and more convenient to hit a menu number then type in an amount.  Since the ratios never changed I never had to update the code.

Then I did the QuickBasic 3.0 compiler before moving on to Turbo Pascal, C and assembler.  Eventually C became C++.  Most small hotkey type utilities now I do in AHK and/or AutoIt3.  Now and then I try to keep my hand in with something C++ to keep up on the language changes.

Ironically I tried the freeBasic compiler for a time.  It has so many compatibility modes to let you compile code be it comma function call style or with parens.  I had a hell of a time just making basic(no pun intended) WinAPI calls as I could not seem to get my head around the external declarations.  Just too frustrating.

My older brother worked for DEC and showed me a few things in Pascal.  At the time the conventional wisdom was "structured programming."  When OOP came out at first I thought it was no biggie.  Just another wrinkle added onto structured programming.  My brother thought it was a "scam" and dismissed it.  When I got the idea of OOP I convinced him it was not just some new jargon to sell new textbooks but had a lot of power.  When I gave a few hypotheticals how polymorphism could be applied he saw the potential and got into C++.

But I was never an application programmer.  I identify more with Leo LaPorte because he went through a similar journey.  He learned several programming languages including assembler just to learn how computers worked and write his own utilities.  But he never cranked out code for a living.

Deozaan:
    How would you rewrite that snippet in your current language?
[…]
    Yes
-wraith808 (June 12, 2017, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
O_o?-ConstanceJill (June 13, 2017, 12:07 AM)
--- End quote ---
I would think that since the rest of the post is the actual doing of that, one could overlook that word's inclusion.  :P-wraith808 (June 13, 2017, 07:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Programmers aren't often in the habit of overlooking semantic details. In fact, they are highly trained to seek them out. This is how you bug-hunt.  :P

kyrathaba:
Started with QBasic, then some Pascal in college. Much later, Visual Basic 6.0. Later still, C#. Though I've dabbled with PHP and AutoIt, my go-to language is C#. My current project is a command-line utility that helps me track the progress of my paid proofreading projects.

robinsleica:
1.  C++
2. yes
3. I donno yet
4. Yes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version