ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

High Contrast setting & programs

(1/2) > >>

Dormouse:
I've recently developed what I hope is a temporary visual difficulty when using computers.
I have ended up trying the High Contrast setting on Windows, and the equivalent on Android & iOS (reverse colours). It has had the much welcomed, apparently usual, effect of improving the legibility of text and reducing eye strain.
I am much struck however by two things:

* It is an extraordinarily crude, and not especially effective, way of tackling the problem. Photos are very very strange.
* Many programs can't be set up to work properly with HC set. Some simply don't work. Some are illegible in parts. Some insist on glaring large white spaces at me, when dark is what I need; it's even worse because everything else is now dark.
I'm now having to go through each program and app to see if it works well enough in this mode and if looks good and easy to use. Some are very good, some are very poor and most are considerably worse. It's clearly not something that most programmers check out. I don't really see why all programs can't have available themes with dark backgrounds and light text; can't be that hard to do, can it?.

I'll probably stick to HC going forward since it is easier on the eye anyway, and I will have got used to it and switched to using the programs that work best with it.

Ath:
It would be very helpful, both for you and the developer, if you report anomalies in this area to the developer(s). Then at least there's a chance it gets fixed.
And for me as a developer, a reason to not add 'skinning', and similar graphics/ui tricks, to applications I (co)develop, sticking to OS-standards ensures that the built-in features like high contrast and screenreaders work as expected.

Dormouse:
Reported one so far - "Sorry, we're not about to help a lot more with the Desktop or web apps appearance beyond the themes that we offer and the colour schemes offered within. I can of course take this on as feedback to see if the team are able to offer more high contrast options as well in time, but I couldn't offer a timeline on that."
I'll take it a bit further, and I will report others that seem easily fixable. But my computer access time is already reduced and my emphasis now is trying to get a way of functioning more productively.

A substantial part of the problem is that no OS deals with the issues very sensibly. Simply doing a colour reversal covers most of the major problems, and is an easy solution to implement, but it leaves all the colours used potentially clashing or fading into each other. It's easy enough on windows to see what the HC effect is as a keyboard shortcut allows you to toggle between normal view and HC.

Ath:
Hm, that's a rather disappointing response :(

wraith808:
Hm, that's a rather disappointing response :(
-Ath (June 05, 2017, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thought it was a rather expected response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version