topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What is Screenshot Captor doing to my Windows?!  (Read 3504 times)

infosundso

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What is Screenshot Captor doing to my Windows?!
« on: May 22, 2017, 10:27 AM »
This is NOT a complaint. I've only seen that Screenshot Captor has countless entries in "notifications and actions" and wonders what went wrong. Or does it have to be?

infosundso

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What is Screenshot Captor doing to my Windows?!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Hm, I tried to add a video as attachment but it didn't work... here it is as animated GIF.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:03 PM »
Check this thread.  Not sure if it helps, as the person didn't report back.

https://www.donation....msg408571#msg408571

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:22 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this weird phenomena?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 02:24 PM »
infosundso, can you tell me a little bit more about how you are installing or uninstalling Screenshot Captor?
Do you use the portable version or the installer? Do you uninstall the previous version before installing the new one (not needed)?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 11:46 AM »
Does anyone know anything about this weird phenomena?

In response, I can tell you what I found out.
I have wondered about this sort of thing - repeated/duplicated "Banner, Sounds" icons in the list of Notifications & actions settings in Win10.

However:
  • (a)  I don't see this sort of thing happening with SC. In fact, SC doesn't occur in the list at all, even though it does appear in the Systray when it is running - which seems a bit strange, but I presume that might be correct, because I have it as a "portable" app.

• (b) I do see this sort of thing happening with a few other apps that have a Systray presence. I had assumed it to be duplicated hooks in the Registry, or something. ABBY Screenshot Reader seems to be the worst offender with 30 so far, some of which I turned off as an experiment, but it seems to make no difference.
    Interestingly, of those 30 ABBY icons, 27 are an identical type of icon, and 3 are another.

Using CCleaner to clean up the Registry seems to make no difference either.

Win7:
The Systray notifications was buggy and harmless, and ergonomically annoying, in Win7, as some notifications that one needed would sometimes disappear from the Systray for no apparent reason. The workaround was to get them restored by restarting WE (Windows Explorer).

Win8/8/1:
Don't recall noticing any problems in this regard in Win8/8.1, but then I was in the habit of periodically restarting WE as a matter of course anyway, as WE often seemed to be at least part of the cause of some other problems.

Win10 and subsequent versions of that:
In Win10, the Systray icons seem to be buggy and harmless also, but in a different way (as described above) and which is not (so far) ergonomically annoying. So I tend to ignore it. I guess it's just cluttering-up the Registry.
Restarting WE seems to have no effect on this either, though it can still help to clear some other problems.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:26 PM by IainB »