topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Grab selected region  (Read 15680 times)

josephdifranco

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Grab selected region
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:12 PM »
Hello,

As of today, when I choose the option to grab selected region, the images on my monitors increase greatly in size and overlap the monitor borders.

Any ideas how to fix?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Grab selected region
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Have I broken this feature with my latest release?

This is a know weird issue that can happen if dpi settings aren't handled just right in the program and I did recently make some DPI changes to SC...

But I thought I tested it..

The main question is, did previous versions work ok?

Do you have different text scaling set for each monitor?

Hello,
As of today, when I choose the option to grab selected region, the images on my monitors increase greatly in size and overlap the monitor borders.
Any ideas how to fix?
-josephdifranco (May 15, 2017, 01:12 PM)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:30 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:39 PM »
Here is an older version if you can try this and let me know if it behaves differently:

https://www.donation...rPortable_010416.zip

josephdifranco

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:20 PM »
Thanks mouser,

Funny thing is that it started working again a couple of days later. 

New thing is that I have the view set to show capture bar, but its not there. 

Over time, this is what has happened for me, these two bugs.  However, still a very good program!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 05:09 PM »
New thing is that I have the view set to show capture bar, but its not there. 

The capture bar can auto hide - and it may be that changing the monitor configure has moved it to another monitor -- or maybe to a monitor that is no longer visible?  I will try to add some code that checks for that when it is toggled on.

Mikey1969

• Participant
  • Joined in 2014
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 01:16 PM »
I am having this issue(The main issue, not the capture bar one), and I am currently running only on my laptop. Version 4.21.1.

When I try to grab selected region, the screen resolution changes(kind of end up with a zoomed in effect), and I can't capture all of the available area. I have to suck it up and use the Windows Snipping Tool when I need something that is getting clipped. Ugh...  ;D

I DO usually dock my computer and use two larger monitors, but I am not currently connected.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 01:53 PM »
the screen resolution changes(kind of end up with a zoomed in effect),
A few questions to get mouser thinking in the right direction :P
  • Are your external monitors of (very) high resolution, and, using Windows 10 I presume, scaled differently (150-200%) then the laptop screen (100-125%)?
  • Was your primary monitor one of the external monitors when connected (and during boot, maybe, too)?

I'm thinking that SC still uses the previous main screen's resolution&scaling, though it should use the current screen's resolution&scaling.

Maybe we should sponsor mouser into the Windows 10 world and provide him with an UHD monitor so he can debug properly.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 04:23 PM »
The issue isn't with the high resolution or with windows 10 -- SC will perform properly in these cases.

There are two scenarios where this zoom problem might still happen when doing a selected-region capture with the latest versions of SC.

The main scenario is if you have multiple monitors AND you have a DIFFERENT text scaling magnification set on the different monitors.  That is, in windows 10 you can now set text scaling options differently on one monitor then on another.  This will cause the zoom problem.  Solution is to set both monitors to the same level of text scaling.  Unlikely to be a way for me to fix SC to behave well when they are set differently.

The other scenario can happen even when you have only one monitor, if windows has not broadcast a resolution change message properly.  This should be fixable by temporarily changing the monitor resolution just to get the windows message sent to running applications.

There is another fix for users who have these situations, and that is to go into the Selection Capture Options tab and choose to use "Red Box" mode for both Objects and Regions.  It's not quite a nice a way to capture regions but it should work in these cases because it uses a completely different way of letting you select the region on screen that you want to capture (it overlays a transparent window on top of your live desktop rather than taking a temporary capture of your entire desktop and then drawing on that).

jkastrinos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Hello,

I am also having the zoom issue that makes the region capture unusable for me.  I am using Windows 10 with 125% text scaling but I only have a single monitor.  The zoom isn't an issue as much as once the area is selected, regardless of using normal region capture or red box, that area that is captured is not the area I selected.  I use this feature a lot and have found that my only solution is to change the text scaling back to 100% when trying to capture a region.  Is the previous thread correct that returning to a previous release would get around this problem?  If so, does someone know the correct version that I need?
Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 09:40 AM »
Are you using the latest version of SC?

If you reboot the pc, does it work then?

There is no reason this shouldn't work for the latest version of SC in windows 10 regardless of your text scaling.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 01:05 PM »
It still happens like this for me.  It's hard to get a screenshot or explain, so I just gave up as it doesn't affect me very much, as I only have the problem when I have a monitor connected to my laptop and they're both the same resolution, but different screen sizes.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:16 PM by wraith808 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 02:06 PM »
I only have the problem when I have a monitor connected to my laptop and they're both the same resolution, but different screen sizes.

Do the two monitors have different text magnifications? I have 4 monitors and SC works fine and it's designed to work well with multiple monitors, but like I said if the monitors have different text scaling, that can cause the problem.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 06:49 PM »
I only have the problem when I have a monitor connected to my laptop and they're both the same resolution, but different screen sizes.

Do the two monitors have different text magnifications? I have 4 monitors and SC works fine and it's designed to work well with multiple monitors, but like I said if the monitors have different text scaling, that can cause the problem.

Nope.  Checked that after you told me before.  They are both set to 100%.

jkastrinos

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 09:00 AM »
I apologize. I was not using the most current version.  I installed the latest and now everything works correctly and I like the new features.  Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 09:02 AM »
Glad to hear that  :Thmbsup:

Evanrude

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 02:43 AM »
I've run into this frustrating glitch more than once.  I've tried 4.20.1, 4.21.1, I tried the old zip you linked.
No matter what I do, fresh install, old install, any version now, the screen magnifies immediately after I tell it to "select a region", OR, if I simply hit the print-screen button to capture the entire screen, it captures a zoomed image.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, a single monitor (65" screen). The computer DOES have to use AMD's Radeon scaling ability to scale the screen SMALLER since the graphics card wants to make the image larger than the 1920x1080p borders for some reason. So AMD software changes the "HDMI Scaling" by 6 percent in order to shrink the image to fit the 65" tv.

With that said, I've been using this Screenshot Captor software for a couple years now.  And the software worked GREAT until the recent SC update.  After that, it just started auto-zooming all the time, and I can't seem to find a version that DOESN'T do it now.

EDIT!!! I'm a computer technician... but my brain was really not working earlier (apparently).  I realized that if NONE of your versions of software worked properly, then it wasn't SC that changed, it was something else. And since we're talking about AMD Scaling issues or 'scaling' issues in almost every situation , I uninstalled my AMD video drivers and reinstalled them.  The issue was caused by AMD's own drivers interacting with SC somehow causing the magnification. After driving re-install, works perfectly again.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 02:59 AM by Evanrude, Reason: Found the issue that was causing my problem with SC. »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 05:01 PM »
Excellent detective work -- and thanks for sharing -- hopefully this will help someone else who encounters the same problem.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 09:46 AM »
@Evanrude: Oops, sorry. I forgot to say thanks for your potentially useful feedback (above) when I had earlier cross-posted it to:
Re: Pasted images too large with new laptop « Reply #17 on: 2017-12-10, 12:38:58 »

Evanrude

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Excellent detective work -- and thanks for sharing -- hopefully this will help someone else who encounters the same problem.

Sadly, as soon as I rebooted my computer, the zooming issue when capturing screenshots has returned.
If I reinstall video drivers, it fixes it until I reboot again, and it starts all over.  So, at this point I'm just lost , and there doesn't seem to be any way to 'disabled' the zooming.   Doing a full print screen zooms, doing a print region zooms, and you can't 'move' the zoomed region. It just auto pics a place and zooms in.  Only way to get out of the zoom is then to hit escape.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Well, at least you are one step forwards, insofar as you would seem to have established (conclusively?) that "After driving re-install, works perfectly again."
Some thoughts:
  • What you have subsequently discovered, however, is that, somehow, "the driver re-installation" fix is not "sticky". That is, a reboot of the PC unsets it and it reverts to the previous ("zooming problem") state.
  • What that might indicate is that the settings created at the driver re-install point are kept in a (possibly temporary) file, which is being overwritten or ignored when the PC is rebooted. This might be by design - for example, where reinstalling a driver normally has to be followed by a reboot.
  • It may be that you actually need to get a newer/different driver - i.e., one more suited to your display hardware device or to overcome this problem. A search of forums dealing with problems for this PC's display driver might be in order. Have you already fully explored that avenue? It is unlikely to be a problem that is unique to you and you might be able to find a lot of useful/relevant info.
  • My only experience of something similar to your so far inexplicable problem was with a Touchpad device in an HP laptop, where the Touchpad settings kept episodically reverting to some default, for no apparent reason. It drove me half-bonkers, as that was my main mouse-like device. I eventually discovered - by trail-and-error - that restarting the Touchpad driver executables/services would restore my preferred settings, This was a workaround only, not a fix, as the settings continued to episodically revert to default. I later discovered that I could ensure that my settings were saved in a named configuration file, and that, when the problem recurred, I could restore my defaults by reloading that default config file, via the Touchpad GUI. So something was apparently periodically taking precedence over my settings, restoring a default settings, but I still haven't figured out how/why that continues to happen, and I cannot locate the necessary Touchpad settings default file to edit it, so it continues to be a workaround which I am obliged to live with, meanwhile.
  • It may be that you need to consider how to refresh your particular display driver with your preferred settings. Most display/GPU hardware has that facility nowadays, usually via manufacturer-specific software installed in the system files somewhere on the PC. It may even be that you only need to define that (say) the SC executable is assigned to use such-and-such a display hardware - e.g., On my HP Pavilion laptop, for each application, I can choose whether it defaults to using either the Intel GPU or the NVIDIA GEFORCE GPU. In its "virgin" state, the system defaults to using the Intel GPU, but some games, for example, might perform differently/better via the NVIDIA GEFORCE GPU.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 08:45 PM by IainB »

philippqf

• Participant
  • Joined in 2018
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 04:35 AM »
I just came across this problem recently, now on a new HP 612 x2 running Windows 10 64. I installed the latest graphics driver, but that did not solve the issue. The only way I can make grab selected region work seems to be setting the desktop zoom in Windows to 100 % for all displays. As soon as I set one to e.g. 150 %, the described zoom phenomenon appears. Even if I set all displays to 150 %, the problem persists.

In my configuration it is not an option to work with the same zoom for all displays as the physical sizes and resolutions differ a lot. I've been using Screenshot Captor for many years now and I don't want to switch to something else. But if this problem persists I'll have to.

Any chance to get this fixed?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 08:20 AM »

Sadly, as soon as I rebooted my computer, the zooming issue when capturing screenshots has returned.
If I reinstall video drivers, it fixes it until I reboot again, and it starts all over.  So, at this point I'm just lost , and there doesn't seem to be any way to 'disabled' the zooming.   Doing a full print screen zooms, doing a print region zooms, and you can't 'move' the zoomed region. It just auto pics a place and zooms in.  Only way to get out of the zoom is then to hit escape.

Didn't see this, but yes, I could tell you that nothing really solves it.  I've resolved to making the capture and restricting the region in the post-capture dialog.  You can't screenshot the issue, so I've despaired of being able to give Mouser any useful input on the problem.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 11:00 AM »
If all monitors are set to the same DPI the problem there shouldn't be a problem.. If you have multiple monitors at different dpi settings (for example one at 150% and another at 100%) then the problem will happen.  It could also happen if you connect monitors after SC has been started.  There might be a way for me to add an option to correct this, at the cost of having the controls (buttons, etc.) on SC being native small size.

tintin42

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2019, 09:34 AM »
Is a fix for this issue in the works? I love SC, but I need to use different magnifications on screens and plug in and out monitors all the time when I dock my computer. All other screenshot tools I know of are inferior, but not beeing able to take screen shots is severe limitation...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2019, 12:06 PM »
Remember that SC is very good at letting you crop AFTER you take a screenshot of the entire workspace.. The difference between grabbing a selected region, and grabbing the entire workspace and then cropping is quite small..