Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • December 15, 2017, 04:25 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Bug: Screenshot Captor switches into different resolution during screenshot  (Read 1220 times)

Flamacue

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use SC on a laptop with an external wide screen in resolution 3440 x 1440. When I undock my laptop and dock back in, in about 50% of cases this causes SC to no longer properly recognize the screen size to capture. When I capture a screen full screen or with the region select tool, the screen switches into an "interpolated" higher resolution of 4300 x 1800 which causes the actual content to be shrinked (and consequently blurred) and a large white border to appear at the bottom and the right side. Please see the attached screenshot.

Screenshot - 5_15_2017 , 11_50_23 AM.pngBug: Screenshot Captor switches into different resolution during screenshot

Restarting SC does not help, only a restart of the computer helps temporarily. Has anyone seen the same issue? What can be done about it?

I have been a happy user of Screenshot Captor for many years but this bug may now finally make me look for an alternative.

Thank you
Christian
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:28 AM by Flamacue »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Are you using the very latest version?
And is your video graphics adapter updated to it's latest version?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can you see if other screenshot apps suffer the same problem?  I would not be surprised if they do?

Here is another thing to test:

Wait until the problem shows itself again -- try going into your screen resolution options manually and changing the resolution to anything, and hit Apply.  Then change them back.  See if SC works properly and recognizes the correct resolution.   If so, then there may be a simpler fix that could automatically apply a temporary resolution change that will force windows to properly broadcast the new resolution to running programs.

Flamacue_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use the latest version of SC, and the drivers of my graphic adapter are up to date.

Other screenshot apps (just tried Snipping Tool) do not suffer from the same issue.

I changed the screen resolution as per your suggestion but this didn't improve the situation.

What else could be done?

Cheers,
Christian

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Other screenshot apps (just tried Snipping Tool) do not suffer from the same issue.

That is very surprising to me.. I'm at a bit of a loss to explain how that could happen.

To confirm -- you are saying that SC works fine except sometimes when your laptop docks and undocks -- and that when this malfunction happens, even exiting and restarting SC doesn't help, and other screenshot tools are not effected by this problem..

Can anyone else say whether they have seen such a problem?

Flamacue_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
To confirm -- you are saying that SC works fine except sometimes when your laptop docks and undocks -- and that when this malfunction happens, even exiting and restarting SC doesn't help, and other screenshot tools are not effected by this problem..
Yes, that is correct.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ok I have a guess about the nature of the problem -- I seem to remember an issue that happens when you have different dpi scales set on different monitors.  That is one monitor will have > 100% text size, and another monitor different..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Here is an older version if you can try this and let me know if it behaves differently:

http://www.donationc...rPortable_010416.zip

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Same is happening to me on my new laptop.  When I try to capture a screenshot, the screen resolution goes to something really small.  Not sure if it's because my monitors have a different resolution?  Same thing happens with the older version, also.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Different resolutions on monitors isn't a problem, but having one monitor set to a different TEXT SCALING option than other is.

I'm confused now if people are reporting that this is happening with new version but ALSO with old version? So we are saying this problem has always been there for you folks?

Or?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I just got a new laptop, so that's the explanation for my new problem.  And the scaling on both is the same.

Flamacue_

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quick update from my side: I have not encountered the issue so far again. Neither with the old nor with the new version. Not sure why this is as it used to happen frequently. I would like to point out though that none of my screens is set to a different text scaling (everything is in standard settings). I will keep watching this and let you know if I encounter the issue again. Thanks!