ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

[Breaking News] Cyber Attack cripples UK NHS.

<< < (2/8) > >>

wraith808:
https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2017/05/massive-global-ransomware-attack-underway-patch-available/?utm_source=list&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=051217
-wraith808 (May 12, 2017, 02:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

says that there was an update for this in March ...
According to Microsoft a fix for this vulnerability was released on March 14th for all affected versions of Windows.
--- End quote ---
-tomos (May 12, 2017, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just because there was an update doesn't mean that everyone did so.

tomos:
^ well, yeah, that was my point, if a little understated :D

EDIT//
I was presuming that some of those affected were using more recent OS's (and simply not updating regularly), but may be wrong there
//EDIT

rgdot:
An OS that was released over 15 years ago, in an age where people pay for latest phones, latest consoles and other gadgets ... sorry but that's silly. We are not in a time where we can be lax about privacy. Mitigating cyber attacks, ransomware are very much a subset of privacy surely.

f0dder:
An OS that was released over 15 years ago, in an age where people pay for latest phones, latest consoles and other gadgets ... sorry but that's silly.-rgdot (May 12, 2017, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes and no.

In general, I agree that it's silly to cling on to an operating system that's that old - but there might be good reasons for it at a hospital. They have special equipment that sometimes, unfortunately, need drivers that haven't been updated for modern systems.

6DecadesOld:
I thought there were certain entities in possibly the commercial arena that were still able to receive updates for XP, if they had some sort of special code in the registry.  I am not sure about medical facilities, but I thought that some financial institutions had XP still in some ATM systems and that Microsoft was still giving them a kind of minimum support.

And that point about some equipment in older hospitals requiring the XP OS seems not too far-fetched.

Just a few months ago I surprised a dentist I was seeing for the first time; I saw his monitor near the chair and he was using that system for recording my information and I recognized it was an XP system.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version