topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 10 S and Surface Laptop  (Read 7226 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 10 S and Surface Laptop
« on: May 03, 2017, 11:28 AM »
So, Microsoft launched the Surface Laptop with Windows S.  The Surface has needed to be updated for years (Microsoft's financials show this).  The Book and Pro have given them a good name in the hardware market, but new people entering the market has really diluted their market share, and people are doing a good job of emulating what they've done, and catching up to them.

So, their plan?  Release Windows S, which is another failed attempt at Windows RT.  They just don't have the app support to try do do the things that the Pixel does (and that's not particular a smashing success, considering Google is abandoning the Pixel Laptop).  And then they sully the Surface name with the Surface Laptop, which seems to fit in the product line in name only.

It's very subpar:

128GB SSD
4GB RAM
Intel® HD Graphics 620

All that priced at $999?

What are they thinking?  And it seems they know it, as until the end of the year, they'll offer an upgrade to Win10 pro for free, and after that, they'll offer an upgrade for $50.  Like they already knew it would fall flat on its face.

Other perspectives:

https://www.theverge...ing-system-confusion

https://www.theverge...e-specs-release-date

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows S and Surface Laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 01:03 PM »
If overpriced meant automatic failure then few companies would exist these days. Not to say I think this will be a success but it won't be because of price it would be because of the differences like brand recognition and app store quality.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:25 PM »
If overpriced meant automatic failure then few companies would exist these days. Not to say I think this will be a success but it won't be because of price it would be because of the differences like brand recognition and app store quality.

There's still the word 'relative' on pricing.  You can get a comparable laptop for that price that is not hobbled.  You can get one for a lot less, in all honesty.  That's what the Pixel's problem was, by all indications.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Sounds like it's intending to be a Chromebook competitor.

And I'd rather have Windows 10 S on my Surface 2 than the currently stagnant and abandoned Windows RT it currently runs.

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 05:24 PM »
...do the things that the Pixel does (and that's not particular a smashing success, considering Google is abandoning the Pixel Laptop).

I don't think the fact that the Chromebook Pixel line has been discontinued suggests that it was not a smashing success. The Pixel among Chromebook users (and Linux users) is legendary, owners talk about it as the best laptop ever made.

But it was never meant for the mass market. It was meant to show off what Chrome OS would look like on top end hardware and as a device with specs for the future, so developers could develop for it (such as hi res touch screen, USB-C ports etc.).

If Google's goal was for the Pixel to be a symbolic leader to make Chrome OS a success, then it succeeded, as Chromebooks now dominate US classrooms, are the best selling laptops, and possibly the only traditional laptop category that is still growing.

P.S. As food for thought, here are the Pixel specs vs. Surface:

2015 Pixel specs:
Cost: $999
Processor: i5 5200u
Ram: 8GB LPDDR3
Storage: 32GB + 1 TB Google Drive
Ports: 2 USB-c, 2 USB 3.0
Display: 12.85-inch high resolution IPS (2560 x 1700, at 239 PPI) 400 nit
Weight: 3.4 lbs

2017 Surface Laptop:
Cost: $999
Processor: i5 7th gen
RAM: 4GB DDR4?
Storage: 128GB
Ports: 1 full-sized USB 3.0
Display: 13.5” PixelSense™ Display Resolution: 2256 x 1504 (201 PPI)
Weight: 2.76 lbs
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:30 PM by dr_andus »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:40 PM »
If Google's goal was for the Pixel to be a symbolic leader to make Chrome OS a success, then it succeeded, as Chromebooks now dominate US classrooms, are the best selling laptops, and possibly the only traditional laptop category that is still growing.

Certain Chromebooks succeeded despite themselves.  The Pixel definitely wasn't one at $999.  Price was one of the big selling points, just like netbooks.  And Chromebooks are also being driven by an active App store.  Windows doesn't have that advantage to even drive it that far.

And I think that the reason that sales have accelerated is because of the lower end products, and the fact that Google listened to the customers with offline mode and the availability of Apps.  Microsoft doesn't have the offline mode to get past (at least I don't think so), but they do have the downside of the availability of apps.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 05:45 PM by wraith808 »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 09:00 PM »
Pathetic though this may be...

I have a Surface Book and am strangely pleased not to have been upstaged by a Surface Book 5.

:-[

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 09:07 PM »
Pathetic though this may be...

I have a Surface Book and am strangely pleased not to have been upstaged by a Surface Book 5.

:-[
-cranioscopical (May 03, 2017, 09:00 PM)
;D

I'm actually quite happy with my Surface Pro, and didn't really need new hardware, so maybe I should just take my wins where I can like you. :Thmbsup:

:Thmbsup:

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 02:03 AM »
[sarcasm]Offering the choice of browsers between Edge, Edge, and of course, the Edge, I can already see what a huge success it will be.[/sarcasm]

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 06:26 AM »
[sarcasm]Offering the choice of browsers between Edge, Edge, and of course, the Edge, I can already see what a huge success it will be.[/sarcasm]

And Bing, Bing, and of course Bing.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 01:52 PM »
And Bing, Bing, and of course Bing.
S'okay for those using the bing bong.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 10 S - anyone surprised?
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 06:42 AM »
A worrying development - but is anyone actually surprised?

I wrote the following to explain it to a non-tech-savvy friend ...

Basically it boils down to new computers later this year will be supplied with a new version of Windows 10 called Windows 10S.

The upshot to this is that you wan't be able to install any programmes unless you buy them from Microsoft.

So you want to download a free programme from the internet like LibreOffice (an excellent free alternativeto Microsofts expensive Office package) - well tough you can't ... unless the developers of that free software PAY Microsoft to put it into their store - and how many people writing free software can afford to do that.

Another example - you go out and buy a new printer - let's hope the printer manufacturer have paid Microsoft to include the software that makes the printer work in their store or you won't be able to use it.

Of course there is a way to overcome this - everyone that buys a new computer with Windows 10S PAYS Microsoft a fee to unlock the computer to get a proper version of windows that lets you do what you want!!!

I predicted when Microsoft offered free upgrades to Windows 10 that they would find a way to charge.

My guess is that they will upgrade the free versions to Windows S and then you wil have to pay them to unlock it again. And at some point they will upgrade to a version that requires an annual subscription.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:54 AM by Carol Haynes »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile