topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [SOLVED] SendTo (portable) replacement [attn:skwire]  (Read 9439 times)

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[SOLVED] SendTo (portable) replacement [attn:skwire]
« on: April 20, 2017, 02:54 AM »
As simple as it sounds, I have not found anything (yes I tried Open++).  I want a Splat-like program for the SendTo menu.

Essentially, the app runs 100% portable in the folder, with the exception that it registers its DLL (with a cute icon) to the Right click menu (as high on the menu as you can possibly get it. NOT at the bottom).  You add the shortcuts you want in the SendTo list and it shows up in the context menu with the app's native icons and all.  The list of shortcuts, again, should be stored locally in the app's folder and NOT tied with the system at all. The only link is the right click DLL menu association.

The whole rationale is:
1. SendTo main is a PITA to move mouse to when you have a lot of context menus taking up screen. Those seconds count when working with a lot of files
2. I constantly lose my rapidly rotating SendTo entries whenever I reinstall windows. This happened for startup entries too, but skwire's awesome app "Splat" fixed it.
3. Further 'portabilizes' windows to reduce relying on stupid system folders.

Picture: IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/WYZoM9Y.png

Help me skwire! You're my only hope. lol!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:54 PM by stisev »

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: SendTo (portable) replacement [attn:skwire]
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I scoured the web for a long time and the only software even remotely close to what I want here is Open++, as I mentioned.

Portable download link:   https://www.portable...reeware.com/?id=2084

I cannot figure out how to use this to "Send" apps to it.  If anyone can figure this out, let me know.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:43 PM »
Are you just wanting it to open file extensions through the send to menu or executable files?

If file extensions (other than executable files) you could try my program that I made called Portable Extension Warlock at: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=27928

After you set it up you can setup a send to menu shortcut to the launcher that will launch the extension in the program you specify and if more than one program can handle that extension it can popup a dialog asking which program you would like to open it with.  No dll in right click menu just a shortcut that will pass the filename to the launcher after you setup your extensions.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 12:45 PM »
Thanks for the reply ham. nice to see you :)

I was JUST about to post that I believe I figured out my issue and Open++ works for my needs for now.  I would absolutely love if skwire would create something like Open++ because it's discontinued, outdated, and buggy. It's sort of like a "Splat for right click context menu" :D

Here's a picture of the final result I just finished with!
PIC: http://i.imgur.com/fZ36ERr.png

I wish I could move the Open++ menu a lot higher :(

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 12:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply ham. nice to see you :)

I was JUST about to post that I believe I figured out my issue and Open++ works for my needs for now.  I would absolutely love if skwire would create something like Open++ because it's discontinued, outdated, and buggy. It's sort of like a "Splat for right click context menu" :D

Here's a picture of the final result I just finished with!
PIC: http://i.imgur.com/fZ36ERr.png

I wish I could move the Open++ menu a lot higher :(

You're very welcome. Glad you figured out what you was wanting. Great to see you on the forums as well. :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 12:52 PM »
I would absolutely love if skwire would create something like Open++ because it's discontinued, outdated, and buggy.

Probably not going to happen as I just copy over my SendTo folder contents from my daily backups whenever I have to reinstall.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 12:54 PM »

Heh, it's ok skwire.   I also posted to your Splat post linked from your app. I fell in love with this app!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [SOLVED] SendTo (portable) replacement [attn:skwire]
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Heh, it's ok skwire.   I also posted to your Splat post linked from your app. I fell in love with this app!

I really need to find time to update Splat a bit.  Lot of potential in that app.

dcsev

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [SOLVED] SendTo (portable) replacement [attn:skwire]
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 01:01 PM »

I really need to find time to update Splat a bit.  Lot of potential in that app.

You're not kidding. I left you a few suggestions too. Didn't know if this was the right place to put it, but...
https://www.donation....php?topic=39934.150

I managed to crash it :D

In all seriousness, this app will save me some serious time for managing my startup folder.