ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows XP Myths

<< < (19/20) > >>

tslim:
I am a lazy man who prefers staying at home (as much as possible) than travelling around (especially by driving on my own) and I take very little care of my car (I can't recall when was the last time I wash it). I always describe my car as: "All components are either malfunction or not in the right shape except for those mandatory/must have parts which make my car moves"

The othe day, I send my little poor car for repair because of a major part problem, guess what, the 50 years old (I guess) mechanic throws at me (in bad tone) words like "I can't believe it, your car is in such a sh-t condition, the xxxx is gone, your yyyy is so bad and ..." And this is before he start repairing my car (i.e. he might loss me as a customer and make no money) But I just smile in response to his "father teaches son" style of comment (and I pay as much as he claimed after the car is repaired), the reasons are simple:

1) He is a car mechanic - a good one, I suppose, because he love my car more than my money...
I believe the better a mechanic the more he/she loves to see a car in good shape, though he/she might express his/her techinical love badly!

2) If I get angry with him, dispute with him, I am quite sure at the end he will make no money from me but what is next?
I will have to drive miles further (which I don't think I will want to) to get another mechanic who really understands what is "Customer is always right" . Anyway, I normally will need to pay more to this kind of mechanic for the same service.

I am not saying someone is like the old mechanic nor hinting that he is as old as 50, I just feel his eagerness to get things techinically right is as great as the old mechanic and he expresses it as bad as the old mechanic.
Also, I don't mean to urge the party who argue with him to instead smile to him like what I do to the old mechanic, I only wish to point out that there is no gain in a moody argue.[link from boingboing]

zridling:
I'm never one to back down from a good fight, but the key to any successful "forum" is the same thing Socrates meant with his dialectic — give and take, back and forth, discovering and uncovering knowledge along the way. Once a forum diverts from a given topic, then it's like trying to right a car sliding wildly out of control on a wet highway — shit flies everywhere and pretty soon the wheels fall off. I actually had one or two people follow me around the web for years accusing me of stuff for what reason I've yet to discern. Ed Bott has spent years on his blog knocking down Windows' myths and he gets new challenges every month!

After a certain age, the passions that fire one's anger lose their hold on your brain and you learn to let things go under the long-held axiom that you absolutely positively cannot change another's mind on most topics, despite whatever facts you each cite. (Look no further than politics and religion.) Trust me, in a few years, it won't make a tit's worth of difference in the scheme of things. As for Shaun Costello, I invite you back, as this thread — as you acknowledged yourself — is atypical of DonationCoder.com. But recognize, Shaun, that this very thread demonstrates the great strength of DonationCoder.com, that we can give and take on any topic without fear.

Mastertech:
I tried very hard to resist replying to mastertech's attacks on my point of view, and instead tried to lighten up the mood of this thread twice, with humor.-app103 (October 15, 2006, 12:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is what you do not understand they are not "points of view" they are factually incorrect statements. A point of view is that you like orange juice better than cranberry juice. How a feature or setting works in Windows is not a "point of view".

Mastertech:
Yeah... I'm actually one of the long-term site members that rose to Mastertech's bait but I escaped Mouser's censure...-Darwin (October 15, 2006, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
There is no "bait". You implications towards me are as wrong as your understanding of Windows. I don't post something to "bait you". I post something to correct what you did not understand and you made factually incorrect statements. You "baited yourself". Don't post something blatantly incorrect and I will not respond to it. But since you just did by claiming I "baited" anybody I must again respond to clear that up.

Mastertech:
I don't see a problem with how mouser has handled the situation and haven't taken any insult. I'm used to deal with much worse trolls like ***** (my own censure there). Personally I would probably have locked the thread, and looking at the track record MasterTech has, would have banned him.-f0dder (October 15, 2006, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
First of all Fodder you still have not supplied ONE SOURCE to back up either of your incorrect claims. Why is that? And why have you now turned this into a personal attack on me? Simply it is the only way you think you can win the argument. I have no track record, except for being accurate about what I state. Of course you want me banned so their is no one to challenge you on things you cannot back up.

I'm going to be 100% honest though and say that I believe MasterTech is a annoying little troll and that I'd kick him in the stomach if I met him face-to-face... and yes mouser, I'll have some chocolate and cola now ;)-f0dder (October 15, 2006, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Of course you do because I asked you to prove what you can't. It is much easier to call me a troll than to provide proof. But I am not falling for it and never will. I wonder how much other incorrect information you provide here?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version