ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows XP Myths

<< < (6/20) > >>

f0dder:
Mastertech: I have to wonder if you're a troll or just dull. Windows will never ever "create a paging file in memory", and such a term doesn't even make any sense at all. The only thing that can happen from disabling the paging file is that you might run out of memory, and some greedy application will be denied a memory request.

Also note that this only works for XP, Windows 2000 and below require at least a minimal (~20meg) paging file, and will create one at boottime if you've disabled it.-f0dder (July 19, 2006, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah in RAM and multitasking performance will suffer.
-Mastertech (October 10, 2006, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wrong, on disk - easy to verify. And again, only 2k does this, XP doesn't. And again, no such thing as "paging file in RAM".

The article also seems to confuse 80386 protected mode "virtual memory"/"paging" with the process of paging in/out from disk - just because 80386 paging is enabled doesn't mean you have to page (or swap) to disk.-f0dder (July 19, 2006, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
People confuse paging to disk with Virtual Memory, thus they think disabling paging to disk is disabling virtual memory.
-Mastertech (October 10, 2006, 10:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
Some people do, I don't. x86 paging/virtual memory cannot be disable on windows, but the use of a paging file can (on XP). There's a big difference between "paging" (protected per-process virtual memory space) and the "paging file" (swap storage on disk).

Once you've mastered x86 protected mode, know what a kernel debugger is, and what the numbers in Process Explorer means, feel free to try and correct me.

mouser:
f0dder please try to be more respectful, there is no reason to resort to name calling, especially to a new visitor.

f0dder:
Sorry. Hard and annoying evening at work and I haven't had my sugar dose.

Mastertech:
Mastertech: I have to wonder if you're a troll or just dull. Windows will never ever "create a paging file in memory", and such a term doesn't even make any sense at all. The only thing that can happen from disabling the paging file is that you might run out of memory, and some greedy application will be denied a memory request.-f0dder (October 10, 2006, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Disable paging to disk, reboot and look at the Task Manager, Performance Tab. Oh and I have already corrected you on your incorrect advice on LargeSystemCache.

f0dder:
Mastertech: I have to wonder if you're a troll or just dull. Windows will never ever "create a paging file in memory", and such a term doesn't even make any sense at all. The only thing that can happen from disabling the paging file is that you might run out of memory, and some greedy application will be denied a memory request.-f0dder (October 10, 2006, 04:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Disable paging to disk, reboot and look at the Task Manager, Performance Tab.
-Mastertech (October 10, 2006, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Look at process explorer from sysinternals which has the real name for the value: "commit". The read up "Inside Windows 2000" (or Windows Internals as the more recent version is called) to get an idea of how the windows memory management works.

Oh and I have already corrected you on your incorrect advice on LargeSystemCache.
-Mastertech (October 10, 2006, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Nope :)
Try doing disk-cache intensive stuff in a large-memory system and you'll see what I mean. The Microsoft cautions in the knowledge-base article you refer to apply to low-memory systems. The default windows 2k/xp memory management settings might have been fitting for ~128meg machines, but are a bit conservative for modern machines.

Do keep in mind that the filesystem cache is dynamic, and will thus be adjusted depending on full system needs. LargeSystemCache simply means than, on a large-memory machine, your RAM won't be wasted.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version