topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:47 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Considering going Android all the way  (Read 3227 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Considering going Android all the way
« on: April 18, 2017, 07:43 AM »
At least until I get a desktop PC I am considering going Android all the way.  The Ten Ton Toshiba(tm) is just too heavy to drag around.  The only thing binding me to it is Windows Programming.  I just purchased an RCA Viking 10.1" Tablet.  It has a keyboard, mouse pad and touch screen.  In effect it is a neat little Laptop for $100.  The fly in the ointment is going without coding.  But I am not coming out with anything new anyway   Perhaps the next thing will be to do some Android Apps..

With Windows 10 I feel the Windows Desktop days are numbered anyway.
The other thing a bit annoying is the  tendency of Tablets to only support USB 2.0.  But my USB 3.0 thumb drives should run a bit faster then a USB 2.0 would.  Plus it is more likely I will back up via WiFi in any case.  It is hard to imagine no Dos/Windows but I cannot push this weight around anymore.  It is doing bad things to my body straining against the load all the time.  It may be time to bite the bullet and go Linux/Android all the way.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Considering going Android all the way
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 02:31 PM »
It can't hurt to try. Anywhere you can stow the laptop for a while while you experiment?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 02:39 PM »
The only thing binding me to it is Windows Programming.
The fly in the ointment is going without coding.
This is ofc not a 1 + 1, but maybe this would be an option? http://www.android-ide.com/

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:15 PM »
The only thing binding me to it is Windows Programming.
The fly in the ointment is going without coding.
This is ofc not a 1 + 1, but maybe this would be an option? http://www.android-ide.com/

Thanks for the link.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:27 PM »
It can't hurt to try. Anywhere you can stow the laptop for a while while you experiment?
-cranioscopical (April 18, 2017, 02:31 PM)

Unfortunately storage and ID are the major stumbling blocks.  The pattern seems to be anywhere close enough to be accessible is priced out of the ballpark.  Anyplace advertising a reasonable storage rate you have to hire a Sherpa to get there.  :)  If I could store my suitcase and just use a small knapsack for my tablet and a few odds and ends I would have a much easier time of it.

Even if the prices were reasonable most places won't deal with you if you don't have a government created ID to show.  It is really frustrating.  Of course since the Age of Terrorism(tm) in the USA you cannot rent a locker by the day.  I think the only people who have lockers in the college are those in the Culinary Institute since they have to change into their staff uniforms to cook or serve at events.

Plus it makes it nearly impossible to apply for a decent job.  If you are dragging all your stuff behind you it gives the game away.  Additionally, with no state ID they figure you are an illegal Immigrant.  I can see the Federal Prison from the campus where Immigration puts those people.  I'd rather be homeless than live there.  :)