topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:27 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Blank white screen when capturing a browser window  (Read 11108 times)

paperlait

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Blank white screen when capturing a browser window
« on: April 10, 2017, 03:45 PM »
SC captures the complete contents of any active window as expected, except for shots of either Firefox or IE browser windows.  All I get in the screenshot of the browser window is the very top title bar, and completely blank white below it. I've tried it with different pages loaded, just in case there is some privacy settings on the particular page I'm on that prevents screenshots.  See the attachments... One is using Screenshot Captor (blank), and the other was a Snipping Tool grab.

Just for a bit more info: I have used Screenshot Captor for years on my old computer, but I just started using a different laptop.  It is a Dell Precision M6800 running Windows 7.  I have multiple monitors set up, using the laptop for monitor 1, and two external monitors beside it (2 & 3).  I have external monitor #2 set as the default (in the middle). 

Suggestions?

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Blank white screen when capturing a browser window
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 04:34 PM »
Could be something to do with the anti-virus -- IIRC is often the culprit with blank captures.
Maybe try white-listing Screenshot Captor, and see if that makes any difference.
(What is the anti-virus programme btw?)
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:07 PM »
As Tomos says, it could definitely be a security antivirus program (or possibly a FF security addon or new FF feature) doing one of those irresponsible tricks where it thinks it is helping you and deciding you don't need to be told what it's doing.  In which case you will just need to go find the setting for it that whitelists Screenshot captor.  That would be my guess if snipping tool works.

However, if the FULL SCREEN capture from SC works, and just not active window capture -- then the problem is probably with SC's attempt to grab active window transparency.  And disabling that would fix it -- as would setting a longer delay between transparency flashes.  Let me know if the problem is only with Active Window capture in SC and I can provide more details (essentially just uncheck the "Try to capture Aero Glass transparency" option on the Window Capturing 1 tab).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 05:30 PM by mouser »

paperlait

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 08:09 AM »
However, if the FULL SCREEN capture from SC works, and just not active window capture -- then the problem is probably with SC's attempt to grab active window transparency.  And disabling that would fix it -- as would setting a longer delay between transparency flashes.  Let me know if the problem is only with Active Window capture in SC and I can provide more details (essentially just uncheck the "Try to capture Aero Glass transparency" option on the Window Capturing 1 tab).

I already had "Try to capture Aero Glass transparency" unchecked.  Oddly enough when I re-checked it, it worked.  It was apparently related to this function, although reverse from what you described.  The main thing is it works now... MANY THANKS, MOUSER!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 08:10 AM »
Hmm... Maybe I better look into this issue and that checkbox function..

theridgeway

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:30 AM »
My browsers are Chrome and Vivaldi. When I click to grab a portion of a website page, I get a black screen but with the cross wires. When I press prtscn on the PC keyboard this makes the clicking camera noise and the decision box comes up for me to choose what to do with the image. Can you help please.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 10:37 AM »
Most likely your AntiVirus is blocking the use of a screen capture tool. Usually that behavior can be inhibited in the settings of your AV.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 10:41 AM »
What Ath said.  Antivirus or other security program.
Look for a setting in your security program where you can add an exclusion to give Screenshot Captor permission to capture the screen.

theridgeway

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 11:30 AM »
I'll will try that. Thanks to you both.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Let us know if you solve it !

theridgeway

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 04:55 AM »
It's not my virus software causing my problem. It is to do with when using my browser to undertake a transaction with my bank. The bank's security software will not allow a screenshot unless you give permision. Using SC results in a black screen with crosswires. However if you use the PC keyboard prtscn key that results in the bank's software asking "deny or allow". "allow" results in a SC camera shutter noise and the SC decsion box of what to with the image. Other non-bank websites on Vivaldi, Chrome and now Opera are all accessed normally by SC. Phew! Hope this helps others.