ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

will Win 10 not 'do' a 1920x1080 monitor?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Shades:
Manufacturers treat parts of the world differently then others. In Western-Europe, US/Canada and Japan/Korea/Australia you can take the specs from the monitor manufacturers at face value. In South America, not so much...

From the 36 active monitors here (mainly Samsung, Acer, LG and Sony) the website for their monitor models indicate that those monitors have a combination of VGA and/or DVI and/or HDMI connector. However, after unboxing I am surprised if there are any of the digital video connectors available. There is only the VGA connector. Sure, there are openings in the chassis for those digital video connectors, but th are simply not there. To add insult to injury, the VGA cable that comes with these monitors are of p.ss poor quality.

Many years ago, I had some Eizo CRT monitors and while those monitors have arrived at the great scrapyard in the sky, their VGA cables are still in use today...and have no problem with 1920x1080 resolution at all. The VGA cable that comes with monitors can barely keep up.

For me it is a necessity to have good VGA cables...so I have made some myself. Even one that is 15 meters long. That particular cable I got from a someone who works at the national phone company. Shielded and 32 wires in twisted pairs, ideal for a VGA cable of that length. The twisted pairs an shielding eliminate all interference, making it a very useful cable with the bonus of not having DRM standards build into the digital connector standards. Those standards are know to introduce problems, when the display port on the transmitting device is not using the same version of the DVI/HDMI connectors as on the device showing the image.

With those unnecessary headaches and practically unnoticeable differences in image quality, you will need to pry my good VGA cables from my cold dead hands.

Curt:
Please understand that the last week has been quite stressful to me; anything out of order is stressful ;-) My point being that I of course should have listed what measures I have tried in order to fix this weird monitor problem. To put it inaccurate but shortly: I have tried ALL the various suggestions in this thread. The .INF file from the manufacturer was last updated 2013 and was not accepted by Windows, so it didn't change a thing, and so on and on.

Only last night did I begin to understand that most of the problems were caused by the lack of activation! I tried again and again to activate the key from the laptop that I was moving from, but MS wouldn't accept it. Yesterday Windows began to say out loud so even I could understand it, that the various settings I was trying to do, wouldn't be accepted until I had activated Windows. Inside my head I expected it opposite: I wanted to be able say that this x64 Windows 10 Pro was so satisfying to me that now I wanted to also activate it! No, wrong order, MS said: Pay first, then like it - Whether you like it or not...

All this was more frustrating to me than the monitor problem. But at least I now have activated Windows.

A new problem is that our approx 250 years old post system has broken down, due to text messaging and emails instead of handwritten letters, so my cable is out there... somewhere... mailed, but not yet received.

I can see that the technician has removed the old Nvidia card and replaced it with Microsoft Basic:

--------------
Modified:
quote from YouTube: "this is a video explaining why you can't update your older nvidia card - and what you can do to fix being stuck with Microsoft Basic Display Driver - and still use your windows 10 OS."

Hmm... what I think I understand is: My graphics card from Nvidia didn't comply with Win 10, so the installer (not "the technician") replaced Nvidia with MS Basic! So now I need a new graphics card? :tellme: That will take more than my two cents!

Mikekolly:
Thanks @xtabber for you short but excellent solution because i am also facing the same problem of my monitor acceptability to my windows! :)

Curt:
Thank you, all of you guys.

It made no positive difference to mount a DVI cable instead of the VGA cable. I tried and it all got even worse! I have now ordered a graphics card instead: Nvidia Asus GeForce 710-2-SL or something. It won because it's fairly affordable and the box is stamped "Windows 10 compatible". Like that!

Curt:
Finally I am posting from my new old computer which is connected to this 1920x1080 pixels monitor screen, and all is looking good.

Forgive me for not sounding more happy, but the technician and I misunderstood each other more than I could imagine was possible: After mounting the GeForce 710-2, as planned he also installed a Solid State Drive as my new C: drive. But then he deleted everything from my old C: hard drive, without first copying / moving / keeping anything => absolutely not according to plan! I now have a strong but empty computer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version