topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Trend Micro Officescan  (Read 6038 times)

Flax

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Trend Micro Officescan
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Just to let you know that when I try to download LaunchBar Commander at work, Trend Micro Officescan complains that DonationCoder is a "verified fraud page or threat source" and won't allow the download.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Trend Micro Officescan
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:35 AM »
Oh dear lord that is absurd.  What kind of nonsense is that? Normally these antivirus companies decide to go rogue and falsely label a random program every once and a while.. But this one is warning against our entire site now and explaining it as some general "threat source"?  That has been "verified" no less.  Sigh.. I don't even know where to start other than to email them and complain.

Just to be clear, though I'm sure you already know, DonationCoder has for over a decade been free of any kind of malware, adware, fraud, trickery, etc. We never have gone near such things and we never will.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:37 AM »
Well of course when I tried to report the false positive they won't let me -- I have to fill in detailed information proving I own OfficeScan, etc.

These security services should be run out of town the way they handle this stuff..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 09:50 AM »
Well of course when I tried to report the false positive they won't let me -- I have to fill in detailed information proving I own OfficeScan, etc.

These security services should be run out of town the way they handle this stuff..

Pretty soon there will be like 80,000 scan apps available.  If you don't pay the vig to the scanning site they will submit your program/file/site/whatever to consecutive scans until they get a bad one to point to.  It seems like the trend is to get everyone to spend all their time treading water.  There's no "progress" anymore.  Just survival for another day.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:27 AM »

Indeed the cure has become worse than the disease.

However it occurs to me that many companies their size have PR damage control types roaming all over the web to ensure everyone has nice things - and only nice things - to say about their overloads. That being said I would ponder aloud that if I as a singular individual chose - because of this - to stop recommending their product in any fashion...no one would - most likely - give a shit. However....

If I as a singular individual, who just so happened to be the IT director for one of the larger MSP's in central Florida decided to scrap all intentions of looking into using and recommending any Trend Micro products for any of our 5,000+ clients because of this obviously flagrant disregard for properly vetting their reputation system ... I wonder if maybe someone there might just feel the need to take pause to reflect on the value of integrity..

Because up until about 5 minutes ago I really had been thinking about exploring their enterprise AV ... But I'm over that now. :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:05 PM »
Reclassifying URL or website in Trend Micro Site Safety Center

Updated: 2 Sep 2015
        Product/Version: Core Protection Module 10.6
        Platform: Windows 7 32-bit

Summary

Individuals or site owners who feel that a website has a wrong rating or is classified incorrectly by Trend Micro can visit Site Safety Center to have the website reclassified. Site Safety Center allows you to verify the rating and category of a website and request for reclassification via the Give Feedback link. For more information about how Trend Micro Web Reputation Services work, you may visit Information about Trend Micro Web Reputation Services.
(https://success.tren...com/solution/1037634)
which leads you here:
https://global.sites...fety.trendmicro.com/
which give a thumbup to donationcoder

Screenshot - 2017-03-28 , 19_04_28.pngTrend Micro Officescan

I wonder do they have different classifications for different countries? (I told them I was in N America)
Tom

Flax

• Participant
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 04:06 AM »
Just a quick update to say that I was able to download the portable zip from uploadocean.com.

A quick observation: the other software sites (Snapfiles, Major geeks) allowed me to download the full installer, but redirected me to donationcoder for the portable (which is what I required). - Not complaining, just an observation...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 05:15 AM »
Storm in a teacup.
But an example of how Trend Micro and other so-called "AV" (Anti-Virus) companies have been deftly digging a hole for themselves with this nonsense, then obligingly filled it in on  top of themselves. Self-destructive and well-earned.
Meanwhile, Microsoft Defender (AKA MS Security Essentials) laughing all the way to the bank as businesses get the message...