ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Kapersky reports trojan in CH&S 2.41

<< < (3/3)

cranioscopical:
Maintenance on the machine is becoming the primary purpose of the machine it seems.  Get your computing in using one hour per day because the other waking hours will be consumed maintaining the system.
-MilesAhead (March 31, 2017, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ain't that the truth!

Never mind, the Creator's update will change all that for Win10 - not fix it, just change it  ;)

IainB:
...While MSE is still my favorite, it's no angel. It FP'd on me a few weeks back on a copy of f0dder's FSekrit I'd been using for years on 5 different machines.
-Stoic Joker (March 31, 2017, 06:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

Oh yes, and MSE does occasionally give annoying false positives on stuff that one has had on one's PCs for years with no prior adverse report from MSE. The workaround is to tell MSE that that particular file is an Allowed item.
My experience is that MSE gives fewer false positives than most of the other AV packages I have used.
I had put that down to the MSE developers possibly doing a more thorough job of virus signature detection than the developers of other AV software.
All this "Oh noes! The sky is falling!" and running around frantically every time there's a false positive on a downloadable software is both unproductive and time-wasting, and it puts the onus on the developer to jump through bureaucratic hoops to lodge an appeal against the false (in error) AV verdict. What ruddy cheek!
No, the responsibility more correctly lies with the AV developer to ensure that they only release bug-free, tested AV products in the first place. That testing won't exactly be rocket science, and they should have a suitably-designed testing regime for it. It will therefore probably be  a semi-automated, defined process and one which will be operating in statistical control, so they will be able to distinguish between constant cause errors and special cause errors, and thus be able to predict the former with differing levels of confidence, and mitigate against those particular risks. That's kinda like Statistics 101. As I said, it "..won't exactly be rocket science".

If they don't take that responsibility, then they are effectively just distributing the AV software in a Beta state all the time, trusting to luck and expecting the users to do their testing for them "in production", as it were.

IainB:
Maintenance on the machine is becoming the primary purpose of the machine it seems.  Get your computing in using one hour per day because the other waking hours will be consumed maintaining the system.
-MilesAhead (March 31, 2017, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, and for a long time that seems to have increasingly been the case with each new release of Windows. We are all apparently being used as perpetual unpaid Beta testers for each release of the MS Windows OS - in fact we effectively pay for the privilege, in buying the licence.
Microsoft's task thus becomes to develop and release buggy pre-production software for Beta testing. A while back I was talking with a retired aeronautical engineer from McDonell-Douglas/Boeing who recalls how, in the old days, they used the Microsoft DOS OS and found bugs in it whilst using it to develop advanced computerised control systems for warplanes and commercial aircraft. Every time they found a bug, they would report it to MS, and would promptly get an updated (new) version of the OS, with the bug removed - "After a while doing this, it became pretty evident to us that we were acting as Bill Gates' unpaid outsourced development and testing team and that we had probably become indispensable to him."    :D

I don't recall that being a problem with Apple computers...so there's probably a price trade-off somewhere.

irishatheist:
Ditto,
And despite white listing, it gets blocked for "Suspicious behaviour".
This only happening under 64bit Windows 10, not on 32bit Windows 10, but there's plenty of other differences between the systems, but both have the same Kaspersky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version