topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: CPUBalance Pro [free GOTD]  (Read 4859 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
CPUBalance Pro [free GOTD]
« on: March 14, 2017, 02:39 PM »
As of post time there is still 12 hours and 20 something minutes to get CPUBalance Pro for free.  I have been running it for about an hour.  So far I like it.  What it aims to do is avoid the bogging of the process that has the focus by limiting CPU hogging programs running in the backgroud.

The main pleasant result I have seen so far is running SuperAntiSpyware scan in the background while surfing the web with Firefox in the foreground.  Ordinarily Firefox is a bit jittery when SAS is scanning in the background.  This time with the CPUBalance Pro running, FF ran smoothly at the cost that the background scan took a bit longer.

The only glitch I have seen is when run it pops up an error message that it cannot save a scheduled task and therefore it cannot be started at login with elevated privileges.  I don't care about that since I prefer to start it manually.  I just wish I could eliminate the error message. But I suppose I will have to bite the bullet and hit Enter after running it.  (My Laptop is a bit quirky.  You may not get this error.)

It comes with one year of updates.  There is some stuff in the readme about registration but afaict there is no way to register it.  Just install it and you are good to go.  In any case I did go to the web site and enter some info because I was not aware I did not need to.  Here is the link:

https://www.giveawayoftheday.com

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: CPUBalance Pro [free GOTD]
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:20 PM »
btw, I am trying surfing with Firefox to see what a difference this utility makes.  So far Firefox seems to load off the HD and run snappier than without it.  Those of you lamenting the sluggishness of FF recent releases may want to give CPUBalence Pro a try. At least on my Laptop it seems to smooth it out quite a bit.   :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 04:32 AM »
^ CPUBalance is from Bitsum, the makers of Process Lasso. CPUBalance is available as $0 FREE or as $10 PRO
https://bitsum.com/portfolio/cpubalance/

This application is a SUBSET of the technology found in Process Lasso. It is slimmer than Process Lasso and designed to do one job really well – ProBalance.

CPUBalance is unique in that it can either run independent of Process Lasso, or along-side Process Lasso, offering extended functionality over the ‘base’ ProBalance algorithm.

If you already have Process Lasso v8, you do not NEED this application, but as a side effect of having it, do get these benefits:

Newer tech than is in Lasso v8, but Lasso v9 will eventually have that tech.
    A different system tray icon for specific ProBalance interactions.
    A new Frequency of Action (Restraint) metric, which is pretty cool.
    Note that these features are all planned for Process Lasso v9 – so no removal or reduction of features here!
-Bitsum CPUBalance

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 07:03 AM »
^ CPUBalance is from Bitsum, the makers of Process Lasso. CPUBalance is available as $0 FREE or as $10 PRO

This application is a SUBSET of the technology found in Process Lasso. It is slimmer than Process Lasso and designed to do one job really well – ProBalance.

CPUBalance is unique in that it can either run independent of Process Lasso, or along-side Process Lasso, offering extended functionality over the ‘base’ ProBalance algorithm.

If you already have Process Lasso v8, you do not NEED this application, but as a side effect of having it, do get these benefits:

Newer tech than is in Lasso v8, but Lasso v9 will eventually have that tech.
    A different system tray icon for specific ProBalance interactions.
    A new Frequency of Action (Restraint) metric, which is pretty cool.
    Note that these features are all planned for Process Lasso v9 – so no removal or reduction of features here!
-Bitsum CPUBalance

The Pro was available free before the giveaway expired.  Now when I go to the same download link it says $9.95.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:15 PM »
As it turns out the email I got back from the GOTD promotion seemed to indicate I did not need to activate it.  Merely install.  So I missed the activation window.  I contacted the software publisher and apparently the same thing happened to many others.

So if you downloaded it and had an issue with it refusing to activate I suggest going to the publisher's site and pushing the Green Help Button.  I did so and explained the situation.  I got an email from the author saying a new GOTD type key would be generated to enable the Pro feature for those in the same predicament.

So far it seems to work quite well without the "affinity change" feature.  But I am curious to try that out.

See floating green help button at the bottom of the page:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:54 AM »
I got a note from the developer that my GOTD license code would work now.  Sure enough it accepted it and the CPU Affinity setting can be enabled.  I turned it on accepting the defaults.  I'll see if I notice any difference.