ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Explorer now has banner ads

<< < (5/6) > >>

IainB:
Whilst there may be banner ads in Windows Explorer, I haven't noticed them yet as I mostly use xplorer² - have done for years.

Deozaan:
Another wrinkle: I disabled that option as suggested to keep the ads from appearing, but today the ad appeared again. I checked that option and it's still disabled. So either I did something else wrong or it doesn't actually disable that ad after all.

It doesn't bother me too much as it is an ad for a MS product. If they started selling banner ads to other 3 party companies then that is different.
-c.gingerich (March 13, 2017, 08:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

While I'm inclined to agree with you ... The phrase 'War of Inches' does come to mind.

If the crowd reaction isn't harsh enough, this could easily get a lot worse rather fast.-Stoic Joker (March 13, 2017, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed. With both of you. :)

Though if the ad keeps coming back, that's going to make me feel a lot less accepting of it.

rgdot:
MS should accept third party ads in explorer, I would donate so xyplorer can advertise there.

Deozaan:
I've been perfectly happy with Windows Explorer all these years. Well, with some minor gripes starting in XP or Windows 7 that got fixed in Windows 10 (until the ads showed up). I even bought a license to XYplorer several years ago and went back to Windows Explorer because I just didn't see how XYplorer was any better for my needs.

But maybe it's time to re-evaluate XYplorer and see what all the hubbub is about.

Shades:
Who knew...Windows was better off under Steve Ballmer.  :tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version