topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ctrl+Z Undo doesn't work?  (Read 4876 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ctrl+Z Undo doesn't work?
« on: July 28, 2016, 03:36 PM »
I only occasionally need screenshots, so I find SSC overwhelming.  But I didn't abandon it because of its complexity, but because Ctrl+Z Undo doesn't seem to work, at least not as I expected.

SSC makes screen captures perfectly well.  My problem is in editing a screenshot.  I start to annotate, then decide I should (e.g.) have put an arrow in a slightly different place.  I press Ctrl+Z Undo to remove the arrow - and just get an angry beep, with no change on screen.  At this point, Hypersnap and PicPick both obediently revert to the previous version of the on-screen image, and that's what I expect to happen with SSC.

Have I misunderstood how Undo is supposed to work, or do I need to configure something?  I have the latest portable SSC, 4.16.1, installed on Vista Home Premium, 32-bit, UAC On, user account.

Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ctrl+Z Undo doesn't work?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Ctrl+Z should work to undo in Screenshot Captor.  It does for me.

If you find it doesn't, can you try choosing UNDO from the Edit menu and see if that works?

It may be that there is a bug that makes SC not see the Ctrl+Z in some cases -- if you find that to be true for you and you can figure out in what cases it doesn't respond to Ctrl+Z (but it does respond to choosing Undo from the Edit menu), please let me know!

dluby

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:27 AM »
Ctrl Z works fine for me (using version 4.16.1).  I added three lines and Ctrl Z removed each of them one after the other.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 03:18 AM »
Could this 'not working' have to do with what's currently the cursor-focus? If the focus is in the filename editbox, it'll undo there, and not in the image. Selecting the image pane by clicking it once, then press ctrl-Z might help.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 07:06 AM »
I think you have hit the nail on the head.  And it may be there are certain cases where the focus is on something that prevents it from triggering when one would like it to.

Just as an example, when you select the LINE tool, or indeed ANY existing LINE, a recent feature in SC is to automatically focus to the "End Label Text" box for the line tool.  That means that Ctrl+Z is not going to work for normal undo while it is there.  I wonder if that might be your issue.  I might be able to kludge a little workaround where if there is no undo buffer for the line text label, it would forward the Ctrl+Z to the main window.

As Ath suggests, the easy workaround for such cases is to click in the main editing window to restore focus there.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Running short of time, hasty tests on a steep learning curve...

The cursor didn't seem to be in an unexpected field.  What I mostly want to be able to do is to delete the last object added - and now I find the Delete key does that   :-[

I realised that when I got a beep from Ctrl+Z, a warning at the bottom of the screen said "Reached end of undo buffer."  I had only a single arrow added to the image, which I had immediately attempted to remove, so tried adding a few more objects.  Ctrl+Z then seemed to behave more normally, but still not as I expected.  I tried making a text box containing some text, moving it to two or three different positions, dropping it there for a moment, then going back into object mode and moving it elsewhere.  The first Ctrl+Z removed text from the box, and the next re-located the now-empty box to where I had originally drawn it.  SSC didn't seem to step back through each of the different locations with the filled box.

And, Ctrl+Z doesn't remove "the last object added" when that object happens to be the very first object added to the raw image, as I expected it to.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 02:48 AM »
There was an issue when drawing arrows that the cursor was in the arrow text label and so ctrl+Z was trying to undo any typing for the label rather than the arrow action.  Latest version will have a fix.