topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Opt-in before January 31, 2016 to keep your current OneDrive storage size  (Read 9238 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Microsoft once offered unlimited storage on its version of Cloud storage but threw a hissy fit when it realized that some are actually taking advantage utilizing the free storage. So long story short, if you have had any free storage allocated to your account, you have to go to this link to retain your current storage size else it will be reduced to 5GB.

• Source: http://lifehacker.co...pt-in-for-1747583500

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Thanks! I came here to post about this too. :Thmbsup:

https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
If I agree to allow OneDrive Preview to access my address book, profile info, and let it add/remove storage as it wishes? Um... no. They can keep the extra storage...I don't need it that badly.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just a reminder for those that have forgotten - https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/ - you are running short of time.  ;)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
@lanux128: Thanks for posting this. I did actually already know that I had a limited time to opt-in, and so promptly opted-in, but your post would have been a useful nudge had I not known about it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Just a reminder for those that have forgotten - https://preview.onedrive.com/bonus/ - you are running short of time.  ;)

Thanks.  I clicked in the nick of time.  (I got a 100GB bonus some time ago for some Bing promotion that I still don't understand.  I've never seen any explanation for cashing in the points anywhere.)  The 100GB is worth keeping.   :Not sure if it would be chopped but no sense taking chances.  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

thanks, still good :Thmbsup:
Tom

Scott_Y

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... So long story short, if you have had any free storage allocated to your account, you have to go to this link to retain your current storage size else it will be reduced to 5GB.
Now that was interesting. As far as I know, I never had any OneDrive storage space until I purchased an Office 2016 license last October. It included 5 Gb of OneDrive storage space -- nothing extra. So out of curiosity I tried the opt-out link just now and found I had 15 Gb. Maybe I signed up long ago and forgot about it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
... So long story short, if you have had any free storage allocated to your account, you have to go to this link to retain your current storage size else it will be reduced to 5GB.
Now that was interesting. As far as I know, I never had any OneDrive storage space until I purchased an Office 2016 license last October. It included 5 Gb of OneDrive storage space -- nothing extra. So out of curiosity I tried the opt-out link just now and found I had 15 Gb. Maybe I signed up long ago and forgot about it.

Click it again. Maybe you'll have 30GB.  :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
*Shrug* I'm still showing 25GB of storage, and I didn't sign shit. However I have had the account since back when Hotmail was trendy ... So I'm guessing the early adopter/loyalty storage bumps are still being honored.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmm, I just checked my storage and it is only 15 GB total capacity.  It was at 125 GB when I did the "Opt In" BS.  Looks like they just chop you when you are not looking anyway!

Guess it's a good thing I happened to be under the 15 GB limit in usage.  I hate how they just use a scythe like was are the front lawn instead of customers.

Edit: I see the "contact us" on the OneDrive page has been set up to reply to keywords in what you send them.  Meaning there is no way to just send a note with the one line description of the issue to a human being.  Instead it is badminton with "did you mean this?" and some description that has nothing to do with your problem, coming back over the net.  Somewhere there has to be one guy with bifocals who actually reads the communications.  It is finding out his email address that's the problem.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:18 AM by MilesAhead »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hmm, I just checked my storage and it is only 15 GB total capacity.  It was at 125 GB when I did the "Opt In" BS.  Looks like they just chop you when you are not looking anyway!

Guess it's a good thing I happened to be under the 15 GB limit in usage.  I hate how they just use a scythe like was are the front lawn instead of customers.

Edit: I see the "contact us" on the OneDrive page has been set up to reply to keywords in what you send them.  Meaning there is no way to just send a note with the one line description of the issue to a human being.  Instead it is badminton with "did you mean this?" and some description that has nothing to do with your problem, coming back over the net.  Somewhere there has to be one guy with bifocals who actually reads the communications.  It is finding out his email address that's the problem.

That was to let you keep the 15GB, reading the notification above.  The only additional storage you get to keep is the camera storage for a total of 30GB.  How did you have 125GB?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That was to let you keep the 15GB, reading the notification above.  The only additional storage you get to keep is the camera storage for a total of 30GB.  How did you have 125GB?

When I first signed up I got 25 GB.  Then there was some MS promotion.  I forget what it was.  But I had to click a link or whatever to get an additional 100 GB of free storage.  When I did the Opt In I got an email back saying they would not reduce my storage.  Of course I can't find it now.  But anyway, it occurs to me this is just a setting in the user's quota.  IOW, if I am only using 10 GB and am happy, why set my quota to 15 GB and piss me off?  This is a lame PR move.  If they were smart they would wait until I got over 25 GB and sent me a note "Gee we are sorry but we can't afford to carry the 125 GB anymore.  How about we give you this (some software or other promo whatever) instead?

The disk space isn't used until I use it.  It was just a number at the bottom of of the OneDrive panel that said "10 GB of 125 GB used."  But see they want to just cut the quota in an automated way to make sure nobody gets to use any of the storage.  A more live person to live person approach would be way better PR.