topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Born in the wrong time...  (Read 12017 times)

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Born in the wrong time...
« on: July 13, 2006, 09:29 PM »
So a year ago, I bought a set of Audrey Hepburn movies.  Beautiful Audrey  :-* is and was too old for me :(
So I just watched J. Love Hewitt :-* play Audrey in The Audrey Hepburn Story.  Where in the heck have I been?
Oh yeah, she's about 15 years too young for me :(

So, I've decided I was born in the wrong time, either 10 years to early, or 30 years too late.  Bummer.

At least Cody is ageless  ;D
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Born in the wrong time... (or maybe not)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 01:25 AM »
Broadband is worth far more than any old actress :Thmbsup:

In my opinion this is the perfect time to live!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Born in the wrong time...
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 04:47 AM »
When you go back and look at some of the actresses of the 40s and 50s — Hedy Lamarr, Ingrid Bergman, Maureen O'Hara, Sophia Loren, Rita Hayworth, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, among others — there's very few who could hold a candle to them today. You might see incredible individual performances, like that of Audrey Tautou in Amelie. Judi Dench is one who comes to mind off the top of my head who seems to have been in every other movie of the past twenty years, and made them all better. These women not only could act, but they looked good while doing it. As Madonna said, "they gave great face."

What is a lot of fun is to go back and watch movies like that of Doris Day and Rock Hudson's Pillow Talk, whose story is comprised around the technology of the late 1950s. What I wouldn't give if we all dressed and talked like Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 04:54 AM by zridling »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 05:56 AM »
Ahhh, nostalgia isn't what is used to be  :D

And you might try listening again to The Who's "Pictures of Lily"  :D

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 08:16 AM »
What is a lot of fun is to go back and watch movies like that of Doris Day and Rock Hudson's Pillow Talk, whose story is comprised around the technology of the late 1950s. What I wouldn't give if we all dressed and talked like Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.
You got me there, I've been planning to watch Pillow Talk for about two years now. But since we are talking about old movies here... I hope you all saw Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb? From 1964, this is a Stanley Kubrick classic, well deserving it's #19 in the IMDB's TOP 250 list.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 09:24 AM »
So, I've decided I was born in the wrong time, either 10 years to early, or 30 years too late.  Bummer.

look at your avatar rover - you are clearly from the late 1940s or early 1950s.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 11:40 PM »
Oh Hell No!  That is from The Powerpuff Girls.  The are from the 2000's and they rock.  :Thmbsup:

Just ask Della.  :P

Tell 'em girls.   ;D ;D ;D

Note: I take exception to the fact that Buttercup is not available on the smilies list.  >:(

See me dance with them here: http://www.funlinked...itter/powerpuff.html

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 11:44 PM by Rover »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 11:02 PM »
Oh yeah, Dr. Strangelove is pure genius. I often fret about my enemies draining me of my precious bodily fluids. "I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I should say the acting today is probably better than ever. They didn't have De Niro, Pacino, or Nicholson back then. Okay, I just dated myself (I grew up on the 60s and 70s, back when gas was cheap and only bikers had tatoos).

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Ooh, then you were around for "Network" too, eh?
http://www.imdb.com/...tle/tt0074958/quotes

Howard Beale's "I'm as mad as hell" diatribe is forever burned into my brain...

PS. Rover: here's cartoon artist Steph Gladden's interpretation of the PPG's, enjoy...
http://www.ilovecart...ladden_ppg_color.jpg
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:26 AM by Edvard »

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 06:54 PM »
hmm...I get a forbidden message.  Can you paste it here?

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 06:49 PM »
gladly...

Harrie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Productivity Talk
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 07:52 PM »
If you all ever get a chance, watch a movie called "The Nun's Story."  Audrey was great in that!  (Like everything else).

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2006, 08:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Harrie. Is there anyone around today comparable to Audrey Hepburn? I'm trying to think of someone.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2006, 09:54 PM »
One of my favorite old movies is The Man with the Golden Arm.

I grew up listening to the soundtrack to it. (my dad is a HUGE jazz freak) I became very familiar with the music. It's a great soundtrack.

When I finally saw the movie for the first time, I was awestruck. I have never seen a movie where the soundtrack fit in quite like this one. It was one of the things that really made this movie. Almost makes you wonder if the music was made for the movie...or the movie was made for the music. They are such a perfect match for each other.

I don't think I would have appreciated the movie as much if I had never heard the music first. If you are ever going to see this movie, get a copy of the soundtrack and listen to it a couple dozen times first. Then watch it. You will be glad you did.

It was made in the 50's and stars Frank Sinatra. (nobody sings in this movie) It dealt with the subject of heroine addiction....something unheard of at that time in entertainment history. It was one of the first to ever deal with that heavy of a subject matter.

Frank Sinatra plays a drug addict that was released from prison and has decided to go straight & legal and make a good life for himself. But he's on the same streets he was on that lead to the problems he's trying to get away from, and it pulls him right back down.

His struggle to beat his addiction and beat life on the street really pulls at something inside of you. There is a whole withdrawal scene that is quite realistic....graphic.

It might not seem like something that great from the way I describe it, but believe me it is. Compared to the movies of today, the storyline wouldn't be such a big deal...we are used to that kind of thing now...but you have to remember when this movie was made...it was a big deal.

This is by far Frank Sinatra's best movie. After seeing it, the soundtrack gives me chills now.

And as far as Audrey Hepburn...Wait Until Dark is one of her best. Another must-see movie....a fantastic thriller.

-------
Edit: I have since found out The Man With the Golden Arm is in the public domain and is considered legal to download...you can watch a free stream here if you have Real Player.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 10:44 PM by app103 »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 09:16 AM »
When I finally saw the movie for the first time, I was awestruck. I have never seen a movie where the soundtrack fit in quite like this one.
I had to think about Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) when I read your words.

You might not like its soundtrack, but you should like its tagline:

"Live by the code. Die by the code."

:)