topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I’ll never bring my phone on an international flight again. Neither should you.  (Read 5175 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
1-wjy2CLgP3nuKfXysepDzyQ.jpeg

I’ll never bring my phone on an international flight again. Neither should you.

Crazy stuff!  On the one hand, I don't have anything to hide.  But then, I think... everyone has something to hide.  And who knows how they will construe the information they have.  And as pointed out in the article:

“We should treat personal electronic data with the same care and respect as weapons-grade plutonium — it is dangerous, long-lasting and once it has leaked there’s no getting it back.” — Cory Doctorow

I was just concerned with the price and discrepancy of international flights before.  Now I have a whole new worry... :(

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Some of it doesn't make sense to me. If they can compel you to unlock your own device, they can also compel you to sign into a device that isn't yours, which will then sync all your data to it.

It's actually a really strong case for not knowing any of your own passwords, period:

I don't know any of my passwords and neither should you

But following the advice in that article still relies on knowing your master password for your password manager. If only there was a way to not even know that! Well, there is:

I know none of my passwords

Somewhat related:

My guide to securing your digital life
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:43 PM by Deozaan »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Some of it doesn't make sense to me. If they can compel you to unlock your own device, they can also compel you to sign into a device that isn't yours, which will then sync all your data to it.

That won't work in some cases.  Like for instance, I use mine as 2fa.  You can get me to sign in on another device all you want, but if I don't have the phone, I can't log in.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I find this scary and depressing, and I hardly use my phone for anything -- but they would be able to access email.
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I find this scary and depressing, and I hardly use my phone for anything -- but they would be able to access email.

Same here.  I'm to the point that I only access text, email, and phone functions on my phone, and I do access my books.  And I rarely use it for those.  And on my next trip, I'll probably just get a corporate phone, rather than paying the $40 and getting access on my own phone.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
In case anybody tl;dr's the additional info links (I damn near did..). Here are direct links to the "USB Condom" charging cables that block data transfer - That I just found out existed - mentioned in one of the articles.

3 foot cable
1 foot cable
Mini Adapter

(all links go to Amazon)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks!  I definitely skipped over that last part.