ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help! My Firefox has lost Bookmarks Menu + the bookmarks!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Curt:
Hm... The situation is that my drive (120GB) really is too small for me; I am using 78% of the available space, but can easily use half a thousand percent more. So on one hand I might take up your idea, Shades, but on the other hand various test-programs all give praise to my, and I quote, excellent SSD drive. But, hey, they didn't foresee the fall of the Soviet Union, or even that a ginger knight would be the new trump card!

I recently lost my external almost new backup drive, and now this drive may have problems. Well, something might be wrong inside this old (year 2009) Dell Latitude Z 600 (http://www.pcworld.com/article/173245/dell_latitude_z600_review.html) with 4GB RAM. I don't know what is wrong with this one, but it's far too often telling me to wait, "the program is not answering". I really want for once in my life to try to own a fast computer.

But for now I am not finally decided.

Anyway, this is hardly the reason Bookmarks Menu is gone.

Is Bookmarks Menu even a normal part of Firefox > Titelbar > Bookmarks or was it just something that I had from an extension, maybe?   :-\  Do 'you' have Bookmarks Menu? -Curt (February 06, 2017, 02:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
:tellme:

MilesAhead:
One more idea.  Do you use multiple browsers?  If you installed another type of browser it may have imported bookmarks from Firefox.  In which case you may be able to export to an html file, then import it into Firefox.  You might get back all the Firefox bookmarks you had up to the date you installed that other browser.

Curt:
-yes, thank you, MilesAhead, I did that yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't think to tell about it, because 1) I am so frustrated with Bookmarks Menu not being both available and working, and because 2) I am unable to delete the old, empty bookmarks (they are (not) there, but won't go away!?), so I now have double of it all, except of what I ask for:

Dear Reader, Do 'you' have a Firefox > Titelbar > Bookmarks > Bookmarks Menu ?  :tellme:  I  don't!

MilesAhead:
Do you have the old fashioned caption bar menu?  If not maybe you had Classic Theme Restorer installed.  That is what I use. Otherwise I would be stuck with the "ribbon" crap.  :)

Shades:
Hard disks can be "fickle beasts" and when data resides in a spot that the hard disk has trouble reading/writing to, all kinds of strange things can happen in the software trying to read/write this data. Hence my suggestion of a bigger/better/faster drive. I also should have mentioned the cloning. You have types of cloning software that uses its own bootmedia (specifically not Windows) before it gives you options to clone your disk.

Usually this kind of software is able to retrieve data where Windows (even after using CHKDSK) fails to do so. Be also aware the when you use a different version of CHKDSK when you try to repair disks/partitions in the Windows GUI or when you use the command-line version. The command-line version is the most powerful of the two.

So if you haven't done so, I would suggest to use the command-line version to see if your data is moved to a more readable/writable spot on your hard disk. And then see if you can access/copy/move your bookmarks in the way you are accustomed to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version