topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR updates ?  (Read 11992 times)

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR updates ?
« on: February 01, 2017, 07:58 AM »
Hi mouser,

Is there any news regarding FARR upcoming release ?

I cannot wait anymore !!!!  :D

Please give us some updates  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR updates ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:10 AM »
I apologize for the delays.. Ok I will endeavor to get out an update this week, and get back into the swing of more regular updates. Promise! :up:

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:04 AM »
Ok I will endeavor to get out an update this week, and get back into the swing of more regular updates. Promise! :up:
Sounds great !!!!

no need to apologize mouser, it's just that I would like to keep your innerfire for FARR alive :-*
because FARR is a MUCH needed software and IMHO your best software

Don't hesitate to ask me when you need some beta testing ;)

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:13 PM »
FARR is more than really, really great and it can be even better with a few upgrades in place!

Wishlist items, from other users, under: ("FARR V3 Discussion"): https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=36477.0

My updated wishlist:
01. Launch file, Keep FARR opened and Continue searching! - "ctrl+dbl click" launches the file and keeps FARR opened but it should also keep populating results! (not all results are populated instantaneously)
02. Content Search - search for text inside .pdf, .docx, .xlsx, .pdf, .txt!
03. Ignore "accents" - add functionality to search accented and not accented files at once (search for "dinamico" and return both "dinĂ¢mico.doc" and "dinamico.txt") - it's quite unpredicted when filenames have accents or not and therefore easy to miss a search.
04. Fuzzy search - so that it may find results that are mistyped.
05. Multithread all searching - to eliminate the occasional delays people experience during searching [from Mouser]
06. Launch file and keep FARR opened but avoid safe-mode - "ctrl+dbl click" is opening apps like word and adobe pdf in safe mode - the shortcut could be changed for "shift+dbl click" or middle mouse button
07. Drag and Drop from desktop into FARR search folder - Drag and drop a file from the desktop into a FARR folder, that is shown on FARR search results, could copy/move the file into that folder (right mouse button drag and drop could open context menu - same as between normal windows folders!)
08. Drag and Drop from FARR into desktop with right click - Drag and drop a file from FARR into the desktop with right mouse button should have the same type of functionality as between windows folders (showing context menu).
09. Rename functionality - "Right click\Shell Context Menu\Rename" does not work! Add rename possibility to FARR!
10. Improved Right Click Context menu - add option to combine "ShellContext Menu" with "FARRContext Menu" - or "ShellContext" submenu could open with mouse-over (same as the "Add to Group Alias" submenu)
11. Indexing - always handy to have a faster system and be able to avoid being so picky with the amount of configured search folders!
12. Costume filetype launcher - option to override Windows settings and to use a costume application to launch files (by use of relative path)
13. Cross-platform - add macOS and Linux support!
14. Allow FARR searching while options window is open - This makes testing easier [from Nod5]
15. Ability to search settings page - "unreal commander" has this in a nice way, maybe something similar in FARR!
16. Bring FARR to front when relaunching FARR - Bring FARR to front and avoid message "Only one copy of FARR at the same time" - same as with your SSC app.
17. Toolbar shortcut items with costume icon - add option to select a specific icon instead of using the builtin .exe icon - could be handy to assign an icon to batch file as well!.
18. Double hotkey to start FARR - start FARR hitting twice a hotkey like ctrl, shift or space
19. Toolbar shortcut items with relative path are not showing the icon - "..\Winamp Lite\winamp.exe" launches winamp but it does not show the winamp.exe icon while "c:\sw\Winamp Lite\winamp.exe" does! (it does show relative path icons if FARR is restarted but it will remove them again when clicking "Configure Toolbar" and "OK")
20. Include hotkey text on context menu items - the text "Launch and stay open" should be renamed to "Launch and stay open [CTRL dbl Clk]"

Have a great day
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:06 AM by Filipe Meira Castro »

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 02:19 AM »
Should be on top of your list to make FARR more compatible with new computers...
1) update FARR to make it DPI aware (https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=43275.0), more and more computers are high-dpi and FARR is not running well on those...
2) update FARR to make it windows 10 universal app aware...
what I do for now is to create .ahk files which run windows apps protocols, for instance I have a Messenger.ahk file :
Run fb-messenger://

A fix to make...

1) fix the command-line limit on setuservar (https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=17639.0)

New feature
1) make FARR installable in a dropbox/othercloud folder so it could be shared across multiple computers
the idea is to share : aliases, plugins, icons, skins, sounds, searched folders, heuristics, hotkeys,...
and to keep : launch history, troubleshooting log, ... separate
today when i make a change, i have to make it on 4 other computers
(https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=42729.0)
except when i change a small thing in an alias that loads with filecontents

Dreams
1) new internal browser
2) new plugin engine
3) unicode

from you mouser :
The other major thing I am considering for FARR 3 is a revamp of the plugin engine.

I was thinking of adding native python plugin support, and making that the new recommended plugin language going forward.

The consequences would be:
1. Easier to write plugins -- no more need to build a dll, just a single-file standard python script file (.py) will work fine.  And I will simplify the API to use fewer and less finicky functions.
2. Old plugins would still be supported, but the new python plugin engine will be the recommended approach for anything but plugins that really need native dll speed.
3. The largest drawback would be that it would probably add a megabyte or so to the executable size of FARR, and I have to check what it would do to memory use.  This is my only real concern.  I'll post more info about this after some experimentation.

This is very interesting... (Directory opus plugin system is quite amazing...)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:21 AM »
ditto for content searching.  :up:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 01:08 PM »
I ended up in NYC the past few days and am flying back today, so I'm just a bit behind schedule but am otherwise still planning on update next week.

Filipe Meira Castro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 01:10 PM »
That's good news!! cheers  8)

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:05 PM »
Great  :Thmbsup:

Clairvaux

• Participant
  • Joined in 2016
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 01:33 AM »
I shall join the choir regarding the desirability of adaptation of FARR to high DPI scaling (after having said the same for Mouser's screenshot application).

FARR seems to work very well, however I can't possibly use it because of this. It's a very widespread problem right now and many programs are faulty in that respect, whether by individual developers or big publishers.

It's important to realise the issue is by no means limited to users with genuinely high DPI screens (often small laptops with very high resolutions).

I use Windows 7 and a 24" desktop monitor with a 1920 x 1200 resolution (so, pretty run-of-the mill and not actually high DPI), but I have set Windows to display at 150 %. Because, otherwise, everything is much too small on the screen. (I could use something like 140 %, but it's not one of Windows 7 pre-sets (100 %, 125 % and 150 %), and according to my experience, anything else than those three settings is liable to break things.

With display at 150 %, many programs, FARR including, basically offer the choice between an exceedingly tiny, unreadable interface (it stays at 100 %), and a correctly-sized interface (it scales to 150 %), but completely blurry.

Theoretically, this blurry effect is liable to happen only at DPI settings higher than 150 %, according to Microsoft. That's not my experience, however. Badly behaved programs get blurry before that. Added effect, in some cases and at some settings, is that the interface text is partly masked, and that fonts are of a very degraded quality.

There are two official mitigating techniques for that : either checking a particular box in Windows 7, which has a system-wide effect, or checking a box in the program's executable properties, which obviously affects only this specific program.

Combining these techniques, we get four different settings for one piece of software.

To change the display behaviour system-wide, you would check this box : Control Panel / Display / Set custom Text Size / Use Windows XP-style DPI scaling.

And to change the program's behaviour, you would check this box : Properties / Compatibility / Disable display scaling on high DPI settings.

I tried all four with FARR, and have attached the results. Yes and No means : checking and unchecking the boxes I mentioned.

There's one combination giving an adequately-sized interface, but with a blurry effect and prehistoric fonts : using the system in its default state, and leaving both boxes unchecked.

This is what I get with Windows = no and program = no :

Windows = no, program = no.pngFARR updates ?

The three other combinations give out the same crispy interface, but exceedingly tiny to the point of being unreadable. Plus, the same prehistoric rendering for fonts (less visible, since they are so small). An added defect is that the lower half of the entered keywords is cropped out of the search field.

This is what I get with Windows = no and program = yes, Windows = yes and program = yes, and Windows = yes and program = no :

Windows = no, program = yes.pngFARR updates ?

At some point during my testing, I got the same tiny interface, but with the search field not masking the keywords. This I might have considered barely usable. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reproduce the situation.

[Edit : I realise the two screenshots don't reproduce the size difference. The second one is much smaller on screen.]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 01:39 AM by Clairvaux »

jacemdom

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2015
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2017, 05:20 PM »
There is only one feature missing to make FARR the perfect software for me. The ability to apply different text colors to the results according to to complete file path pattern matching filters.

I am a paying supporting member and I would consider paying more to have this feature implemented :)

Could be as simple as adding a color column in the pattern scoring options page. Not even have to be a color box, a simple hex or rgb text value would be ok for me.

2017-02-22_18-14-01.pngFARR updates ?

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 03:25 AM »
Microsoft will push an update to windows 10 soon that promises to fix some of the high DPI scaling issues, that might fix the issues for users that are up to date with their windows installations. More info here
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

nitrix-ud

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Microsoft will push an update to windows 10 soon that promises to fix some of the high DPI scaling issues, that might fix the issues for users that are up to date with their windows installations. More info here

Thanks for the info skajfes !

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 01:34 PM »
Did i miss the update link?

oracle

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2023, 08:59 PM »
Are there any plan to release new FARR updates? Some of the plugins (like mcap) links is inaccessible already.  Thanks. :tellme: