topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Android book reader (thinking Moon+)  (Read 14292 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Android book reader (thinking Moon+)
« on: January 19, 2017, 10:03 AM »
Finally I am getting into some of these 21st century devices.  I have an Android phone(Marshmallow) and an Android tablet(Lollipop.)  I have Calibre on my PC.  After reading about a few of the book readers for Android I am thinking Moon+ free since I can access my Google drive from all three systems.

If anyone is using Moon+ can you tell me if it is only the current bookmark that is synced in the Pro version?  In other words, if I can store all my books on Google Drive using the free Moon+ I would like to try that out before worrying about doing the Pro.  I am likely to do most reading using my Tablet.

I guess what I am asking is if anyone knows if I copy the Calibre library folder onto my Google drive that is associated with my Android devices, if the files will propagate when additions are made?  The bookmark sync feature may be nice and perhaps in the future it may come in handy.  But I would like to just get the basics handled for now.

I installed Moon+ reader on my phone and it automatically installed on the sd card(I formatted the card as phone storage rather than portable USB.)  So I take that as a good sign.  I have step by step setup from an online page but I'm on the lookout for any tips avoiding the most common stumbling blocks.

On my phone I find my favorite app so far is the one for the public transportation in Miami.  I can check when the next train is due at a particular station and even if the elevator to the train platform is out of order before carding in and looking at the TV monitor.  Help this troglodyte see the light!  :)

I still hate trying to type into touch screen but I have to admit some of the stuff is fun to use.  :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Android book reader (thinking Moon+)
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I don't know anything about Moon+. I went with the free version of FBReader.

On Google Play: https://play.google.....zlibrary.ui.android
Homepage: http://fbreader.org

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 12:39 PM »
I don't know anything about Moon+. I went with the free version of FBReader.

On Google Play: https://play.google.....zlibrary.ui.android
Homepage: http://fbreader.org

Thanks.  I have that installed too.  Along with one or two others.  If Moon doesn't do what I need I'll study up on fbr.  :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 05:22 PM »
PSA: Moon Pro goes on sale 50% off often.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 06:23 PM »
I vacillate between Moon+, EBookDroid, and just using the Nook reader or Kindle or Google Play Books.  Never used any of the with Calibre, though.

I did notice this, however, and it's going to make me try FBReader:

FBReader Premium is 40% off till end of January 2017.

https://play.google....ails?id=com.fbreader

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 07:07 AM »
FBReader Premium is 40% off till end of January 2017.

Thanks for the heads up. I think I may try the Moon+ Pro since I already have Moon+ on.  Supposedly they will refund the purchase within 30 days.  If the Google Drive stuff works well then it will be worth the $5.

If I do give it a shot I'll post my impression of the GDrive integration at least.  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 07:43 AM »
Yes, I've made use of the refund policy instead of demos, but I didn't know it was that generous...

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 01:23 PM »
I have been reading a lot on Android in the last 6 years, and I have bought Moon+ Pro last year. It really is a revelation. Rock solid and full of (unique and useful) features and on top of that easy to use.

I can highly recommend it. I should also say that it does NOT go on sale very often.

I very much like that I can tell it to force me to stop reading after a certain amount of time to rest my eyes for a minute. I really needed that feature :).

You can't do anything wrong getting that app.
Regards, Brahman

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 02:11 PM »
I should also say that it does NOT go on sale very often.

Then you have not been paying attention. Most recently it was on sale half price on December 21st. It goes on sale half price 4 or 5 times a year. Unless, of course, your definition of 'not often' is every three months or so.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 12:05 PM »
You can't do anything wrong getting that app.

Thanks for your follow-up.  :)

The fact that google lets you use the paid versions of apps across devices takes the sting out of it. After trying out the whole procedure with Rocket Player I see no reason not to get the Moon+ Pro Reader.  I am glad you are enthusiastic about it.  I dragged my feet about doing touch screen devices but aside from "fat finger frustration" I am enjoying playing around with the Apps and settings.    :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 03:56 PM »
This is kind of off topic, but if you're concerned about the few dollars to buy an app, you may want to know this:

If you use Google Opinion Rewards they will occasionally give you paid surveys that will earn you somewhere between $0.10 - $1.00 each time (but be aware that sometimes they don't pay anything). These few cents here and there add up over time, and I've used those funds to purchase apps or even movies/albums every so often for "free."

It shouldn't be too difficult to save up the $4.99 needed for Moon+ Pro.

Here's most of my reward history for 2016, (note the Total Earned goes back to 2013). Looks like I made about $7.50 in Play Store credits from those surveys. :)

Google Opinion Reward History.pngAndroid book reader (thinking Moon+)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 04:34 PM »
It shouldn't be too difficult to save up the $4.99 needed for Moon+ Pro.

Thanks for the suggestion.  :)
It's not that the $4.99 is a lot of money.  It is just that I like the idea that the default is to let you share your apps across all devices on your account. 

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 04:38 PM »
I have Moon+ Pro on both tablet and phone now.  I have the shelf loaded.  But I still don't see the setting to sync bookmarks across devices.  Also I am not sure if adding anything to my GDrive will auto import.  It seems like I have to physically stick the files in the /sdcard/Books folder.

I found step by step how to do it but it must be for an older version.  The buttons it shows aren't there when it shows how to Sync using Google Drive.  Strange.

But I'll figure it out as I go along.  On the plus side I am starting to get the hang of typing with my index finger instead of my thumb.  It seems buttons have a preference which hand you use to press them.  When doing anything inside an app I find I have to keep switching the phone to the other hand depending which menu I am in.  Arrrrrggghhh.  Heh heh.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I find I have to keep switching the phone to the other hand depending which menu I am in.
So now it's in the left, right?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 01:51 PM »
I find I have to keep switching the phone to the other hand depending which menu I am in.
So now it's in the left, right?

-cranioscopical (January 31, 2017, 01:12 PM)

I'm on the Laptop with usb mouse and keyboard.  Heh heh

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 01:11 PM »
I have Moon+ Pro on both tablet and phone now.  I have the shelf loaded.  But I still don't see the setting to sync bookmarks across devices.
I don't believe Moon+ Pro can sync anything other than the current location in a book.  The only way provided to move highlights, notes and bookmarks between devices is to export settings on one device and import the export save file on the second device.  See their FAQ for details.

I use Moon+ Pro for hard-to-read epub books because it easily handles large or poorly structured epubs that other readers choke on, but my regular epub reader on Android is Bookari Premium, which has better navigation, bookmarking and annotation capabilities.  Bookari is also my pdf reader of choice on Android.

Bookari has subscription plans that allow users to sync between multiple devices through their own servers.  A free account will only sync current location in a book between two devices, but their paid plans, which start at $10/year, allow you to sync everything between multiple devices, export notes, and more. 

Some years ago, when Bookari was called Mantano Reader, I tried their online service briefly but it didn't offer enough at the time that I wanted to subscribe. It looks like they have greatly improved it since then, and I'm considering trying it again.

As an aside, the method used by Moon+ Pro for loading epubs in chunks is great for reading on a phone because it allows for continuous scrolling through a chapter, but less useful on a tablet, where I do most of my reading. It also makes it hard to find your place in a book if you switch devices or readers, because it does not display epub page numbers (NOT the same as print book page numbers).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 09:43 AM »
@xtabber thanks for the info.  I see what you mean about not syncing the library.  But I do have it so that it will sync the last reading position at any rate.  It seems like the tablet will be OK for reading.  Phone would be last resort.  But I had room on the 32 GB micro sd card so I figured I might as wall put all the books on.  :)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 05:12 AM »
I hardly use my tablet any more for reading or anything else for that matter since I bought the Xiaomi Mi Max phone with 6.44 inch screen.

Before buying I actually researched quite well if it will be too heavy and big for me, and I was surprised when I got it, how thin it is.

Here is the pocket test video for the Mi Max:
https://www.youtube..../watch?v=gG7eaBaFeA8

Moon+ works really well with that phone, since you can switch on the turn page on tilt function, and then simply tilt the phone a bit and the next page will come up.
Regards, Brahman

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 07:01 AM »
^^  Thanks for the suggestion.  :)