ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

A rant on syntax and verbosity, why ruby is not for me

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
What does "elegant" really mean, in the context of programming?  Does it mean anything at all?
-mrainey (July 15, 2006, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
For me, it's code that you understand on the first read-through. Well-designed classes. And sometimes, just a "gut feeling" when something is done cleverly ("clever" doesn't mean "hackish" in this content, btw!).

mouser, et. al. - While I agree that your examples of bad code are indeed bad, I don't condem the language for it.  Just becuase you can use it to write bad code, doesn't mean you should.
-rover
--- End quote ---
You're right, of course... some langauges just lend themselves very well to writing hacky code. Heck, for some languages almost only hacky code is written :)

app103:

What does "elegant" really mean, in the context of programming?  Does it mean anything at all?
-mrainey (July 15, 2006, 07:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

To me 'elegant' is code that is written so well, and so obvious, it doesn't need comments...it speaks for itself. And it's author thinks of everything...including the idea that some day someone may have to change it....or add a new feature. And it's ready for that, from the start.

And that can't be done by shoving it all in 1 line.

cranioscopical:
When looking at the new programming languages, sometimes i feel like i'm alone in the wilderness in advocating for verbosity and the value of longer and clearer code...maybe it's time for me to dig up my plans on a language whose primary design principle was clarity and readability and unambiguity.
-mouser (July 13, 2006, 06:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Rexx?

Rover:
Rexx?
-cranioscopical (July 16, 2006, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was sarcasm right?  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version