topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:35 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Hardware and software for quality youtube podcasting (for boardgaming)?  (Read 16082 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I am curious about the idea of recording some videos of board game playing/reviewing..

What I have noticed when watching some youtuber's channels is the vast difference in "quality" of the recordings, and how much of a huge difference it can make in my enjoyment watching them.

The ones I really love have crystal clear audio, great lighting, etc.

An example of one of my favorite board game channel's is "Game Night":

Now I know they have multiple cameras (including an overhead one) and lapel mics, and they must have some good lighting as well.
What a joy it is to watch their videos.

Another example of fantastic production quality is "Watch it Played":

Listen to that clean audio and look at that good lighting.

Not to single anyone out, but to give a few examples of some lighting/sound quality that I'd like to avoid:

So I'm looking for any thoughts/recommendations of hardware and software and tips and tricks to getting good production quality in videos, especially with regard to sound.

Any thoughts?

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Quality microphones do make a lot of difference. Having a dedicated room that you can adjust/alter for audio-recording (fully carpetted floor already prevents quite some echoes from voices in this room. But you can do more to the side walls and roof to eliminate the rest. As a bonus, this prevents noises from the outside coming into this room.

For each of those microphones, you will need a solid stand to hang them from. Preferably these stands allow the microphone(s) to "travel", so you can adjust accordingly when setting up a game with elaborate pieces. That, or a person keeping a microphone close to you, outside the view of the camera. By all means, if you plan to use more than one microphone, keep the recordings each on a separate audio track.

Get one or more decent cameras. It would be helpful if you can hang and stabilize these from those microphone stands, if you want have different angles while setting up/playing games.

The youtube show 'TableTop', part of the 'Geek and Sundry' channel, does a marvelous job with audio and video, angles and lighting. This show is done by a professional crew and it shows.

Personally, I think it is best to adjust the lights in such a manner that the camera(s) just need to record and not apply any compensation/adjustment options that are baked into their software. Diffuse light is your friend. Any editing you need to do is done best in software such as LightWorks.

Not sure if your use-case allows you to use LightWorks for free. It isn't the easiest software to work with, but it is used in a lot of Hollywood productions, so it delivers after you get the hang of it. By keeping all audio and video feeds on separate tracks, you can mix-n-match the feeds to make the best quality video-presentation you can...with regards to production value.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

So I'm looking for any thoughts/recommendations of hardware and software and tips and tricks to getting good production quality in videos, especially with regard to sound.

Any thoughts?

Well, are you recording cross talk from your fellow players, or will it be mostly just you speaking?  That will make a difference in your best choice.  I've used a Blue Yeti with a Filter before, and was able to get good results.  But that was *just* me.

There's also the pro version, but I'm not really sure of the difference.

Not much info, but hopefully it's helpful.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone have any experience with recording from multiple cameras and keeping them all synchronized while switching easily between them for the final production video.. Im interested in a workflow that doesn't involve a huge amount of "work".

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Anyone have any experience with recording from multiple cameras and keeping them all synchronized while switching easily between them for the final production video.. Im interested in a workflow that doesn't involve a huge amount of "work".

Not video, but I've done it in audio before with multiple sources. We had everyone say at the same time "1, 2, 3" and then clap hard. That would provide a way to very quickly line up and sync all the audio tracks. Think of that board thing that they use for movies with the scene numbers and a "clack". You could do anything like that and line up the "clack" to sync things quickly. Or, if you have all the clocks on all the cameras sync'd, you could use the SMPTE time.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice long article on getting your podcast recordings to sound amazing: "The ear training guide for audio producers"
http://training.npr....for-audio-producers/

Screenshot - 2_14_2017 , 5_12_01 AM_thumb001.png

"This post will help you identify problematic audio, prevent the most common problems and recognize when it’s time to call for help. It’s a great reference guide for anyone who works with audio, from new producers to seasoned veterans."

From lifehacker.com

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@mouser: Thanks for that article. Potentially very useful when one needs it. So I have taken a copy of the article.
I'm glad you spotted it! I have Lifehacker posts in my bazqux feed aggregator, but I probably would have missed the article in question as I tend to dismiss most of Lifehacker as being unadulterated cr#p nowadays, because it usually is.

Maybe I should give it another chance...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Hardware and software for quality youtube podcasting (for boardgaming)?
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 12:23 AM »
Anyone else with any thoughts? I'm actually going to start making a couple boardgame podcasts/vlogs with my friend very soon.. exciting/scary/daunting.. any advice?

Nod5

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 06:50 AM »
I have no feedback on the specifics (easily sync audio streams, ...) but some software thoughts:
- I've seen live streamers use OBS https://obsproject.com/ (FOSS)
- For non-live video/audio editing check out DaVinci Resolve https://www.blackmag...ucts/davinciresolve/ (Freeware)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 07:03 AM »
For recording (especially multicam with live editing options) - 100% go OBS

For editing, I personally use OpenShot (which is free and Open Source)

For your graphical (and spritzy stuff), check out the following:

https://www.pexels.com/ (Free videos & images)
https://www.pixabay.com (free images)
https://www.freemusi...ve.org/curator/Video (Free audio)
[some of these are attricution based licenses but they always specify]

https://spark.adobe.com is also really handy for throwing together promo videos/graphics/stuff (not free but reasonably prices)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 12:40 PM »
I use twitch with OBS... never tried youtube

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 12:45 PM »
I use twitch with OBS... never tried youtube

OBS is great for recording even without sending it live to a platform  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 04:56 AM »
Follow up to this 2017 post, almost 4 years old -- We have filmed (and edited) about 30 hours so far on our new cooperative board game channel.. It will go live on Jan 1 :)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2020, 10:28 AM »
@mouser - what are you using?
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2020, 11:32 AM »
I am using a Lumix GH5s, with a rode shotgun mic, and some good Godox lighting.

We have not started doing any live streaming yet, but when it comes time to I would probably buy an Atem Mini Pro.

This is all very expensive gear, but I've decided that since I can't control my own mediocre qualities as a youtuber, the least I can do is have good quality video+audio.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2020, 04:40 PM »
ive gotten into streaming for work meetings and such, so i've been building a system at home for the past year.  my most favorite item out of everything is the elgato Stream Deck.  everything is controlled thru there.  Lights, audio, OBS, mics, etc.  I've also built professional studios for corporations, and this little unit replaces at least thousands of dollars worth of pro equipment.