topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: So, what are you now using instead of Outpost?  (Read 9380 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So, what are you now using instead of Outpost?
« on: January 09, 2017, 03:16 PM »
For several years I have been pleased with my Outpost Security Suite Pro from Agnitum - and before that, their Outpost Firewall Pro. Except from a couple of situations, I have been a very satisfied customer & user. For 10 years, actually.

Last year Agnitum was acquired by another Russian company, Yandex, who wanted to get Agnitum's anti-virus engine. Outpost will replace a third Russian product, Kaspersky in the next Yandex Browser. Weirdly enough, Agnitum is offering their betrayed customers to have Kaspersky replace Outpost! Maybe they just want us all to use Russian "security"!!!

Today, Monday 09 January 2017, Agnitum stopped updating the filters in my Outpost Security Suite Pro. This was announced long ago, but still I have not found anything to replace my copy. I have simply been too happy with Outpost, to import something different.

click thumb picture to enlarge:
AgnitumExpired.gifSo, what are you now using instead of Outpost?

So, what are you now using instead of Outpost? :tellme:   
By "you", I do of course mean you who also used Outpost and were offered to change it for Kaspersky.
Please?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:30 PM by Curt »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: So, what are you now using instead of Outpost?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 03:33 PM »
I don't use tools like Outpost and neither should you. CPU cycles are too expensive to waste.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 03:45 PM »
Thanks for caring, Tuxman. I ran without protection for half a year, so I know what you mean, I have merely decided to use it all the same. Also, I think the add-ons in my browser are slowing even more down online than any protection.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 03:50 PM »
What made you stop knowing that software won't solve your security issues?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I was a big fan of Outpost.. I've moved on to AVG's Internet Security, combination Firewall and Antivirus, $69/year for use on unlimited devices, and I install it on my desktop and laptops, etc. (maybe a good choice for a family to install on all of their devices).

It is not perfect -- it's not quite as well suited to very fine grain control as Outpost, but it's interactive mode does offer the same basic approach -- alerting you when a new app tries to connect in and out and allowing you to set per-application rules, etc.

Before that I liked eset's stuff, but it was too unstable and led to occasional blue screens -- frequently enough that I gave up.  AVG has been reliable for me.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:29 PM by mouser »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 05:27 PM »
I took them up on the free license for Kaspersky and never installed it, had a 3 PC lifetime license for OSS but hadn't had it installed for 3+ years, just been running the following:

Windows Defender
MBAM v2 (Website Protection disabled)
Windows Firewall Control

Weirdly enough, Agnitum is offering their betrayed customers to have Kaspersky replace Outpost! Maybe they just want us all to use Russian "security"!!!

As opposed to the Russian security you've been using for years?

y2kusuma

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:43 PM »
I was a Zone Alarm user before switching to Agnitum Outpost, now I am thinking going back to Zone Alarm.
I am also considering Spy Shelter Firewall and Windows Firewall Control.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:29 PM »
The firewall that comes with Windows is a decent product. Although I can understand if someone wouldn't be too fond of the "workflow" imposed by its interface. On this forum alternative GUI's are mentioned for this firewall, that should make it easier to use (by 4wd, if memory serves). Make such a bundle work, combine it with Windows Defender and add a hint of common sense, that should keep you already pretty safe. Use an online virus and scanner and malware scanner on a regular schedule too for piece of mind.

Tuxman is quite right about AV software wasting more CPU cycles than they are worth.

I do all of the above, while being covered by OPNsense router software, which comes with a good firewall too and allows for much more filtering of network traffic. It runs on a 9 year old dual core Athlon PC with 2GByte of RAM and 2 network cards, but it can run on much less powerful hardware if the amount of computers that make use of its functionalities is low). Besides the occasional donation and the consumed energy of the box it runs on, it is free and awesome!

Using it can be as easy or difficult as you want to make it. Meaning that the setup wizard makes things easy, but you can also go and tinker with its vast amount of settings yourself. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Yes, I'm a fanboy.

Nowadays I am much more worried about malware than computer viruses. Granted, I haven't visited the "bowels" of the internet for years, which helps reducing risk a lot too.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:33 PM »
I swapped to Windows Defender/Firewall and MBAM - and a dose of common sense. Been using it for years without problem and (famous last words) been safe.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 09:54 PM »
I swapped to Windows Defender/Firewall and MBAM - and a dose of common sense. Been using it for years without problem and (famous last words) been safe.

Same here.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 01:23 AM »
Webroot.  Using a virtual machine I verified that it stopped some "PUP" garbage that had previously afflicted my wife's machine, so I decided it was the anti-malware for me.  Other AV's that I tested did not stop that particular malware from being installed.  For a couple years now (I stopped using Outpost before Agnitum gave up on it), I have paid $30 to get a 5 device 1 year license from:

- http://www.webroot.c...me/affiliates/wsc-29

Since I essentially bought a new license after the first year instead of a renewal (which is something like $80) I had to jump through some hoops to get that license activated on my account.  But it worked, so I'm OK with it.  I have a couple months until I have to do it again...

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 01:34 AM »
more worried about malware than computer viruses

I really dislike this distinction that the vendors try to use.  I don't care if the malware is technically a virus, a trojan, a worm, or whatever - I want my anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-whatever to stop it and/or uninstall it.  For example I never really understood exactly what the difference was between Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM) and Malwarebytes Anti-exploit (MBAE) despite trying to get clarification on their support forum.  I believe that in v3 those two products have merged.  That's the way it always should have been in my opinion.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 02:11 AM »
"Anti-exploits" are usually called "security updates".

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 06:55 AM »
more worried about malware than computer viruses

I really dislike this distinction that the vendors try to use.  I don't care if the malware is technically a virus, a trojan, a worm, or whatever - I want my anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-whatever to stop it and/or uninstall it.  For example I never really understood exactly what the difference was between Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM) and Malwarebytes Anti-exploit (MBAE) despite trying to get clarification on their support forum.  I believe that in v3 those two products have merged.  That's the way it always should have been in my opinion.

I actually like the distinction, and appreciate the difference that they are trying to make.  If MBAM integrated all of the different variations into one product, they'd become as bloated as McAfee, Symantec, and all the others.  I like that they focus on malware, rather than trying to be anti-virus software.

jNizM

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 07:16 AM »
All I use next to Windows 10 Defender is just:
- Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)
- Sandboxie
- Brain.exe

Never get anything on my PC since Windows XP

If you want / need a firewall and you own / buy a small PC (like Intel NUC) give Endian Firewall (Community) a try.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 11:03 AM »
All I use next to Windows 10 Defender is: Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)
The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit
End of Life Statement

We have listened to customers' feedback regarding the January 27, 2017 end of life date for EMET and we are pleased to announce that the end of life date is being extended 18 months. The new end of life date is July 31, 2018. There are no plans to offer support or security patching for EMET after July 31, 2018. For improved security, we recommend that customers migrate to the latest version of Windows 10.
-microsoft
EMET 5.5x also supports Windows 10 (versions 1507, 1511 and 1607).
-microsoft

-the text makes me think that some of the EMET tech already is part of Win 10

jNizM

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 03:27 AM »
Yes, they try to implement more and more from EMET into Windows 10, but atm. there are many security features still missing in win10.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Count me in with the ones who use Windows Defender with MBAM. If one's chosen OS is Windows there are too many attack vectors today with modern malware to run without security software installed.

I miss the good ole days when pretty much all one had to do was watch for .com and .scr files. :(