ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

So, what are you now using instead of Outpost?

<< < (3/4) > >>

mwb1100:
Webroot.  Using a virtual machine I verified that it stopped some "PUP" garbage that had previously afflicted my wife's machine, so I decided it was the anti-malware for me.  Other AV's that I tested did not stop that particular malware from being installed.  For a couple years now (I stopped using Outpost before Agnitum gave up on it), I have paid $30 to get a 5 device 1 year license from:

- http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/affiliates/wsc-29

Since I essentially bought a new license after the first year instead of a renewal (which is something like $80) I had to jump through some hoops to get that license activated on my account.  But it worked, so I'm OK with it.  I have a couple months until I have to do it again...

mwb1100:
more worried about malware than computer viruses
-Shades (January 09, 2017, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really dislike this distinction that the vendors try to use.  I don't care if the malware is technically a virus, a trojan, a worm, or whatever - I want my anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-whatever to stop it and/or uninstall it.  For example I never really understood exactly what the difference was between Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM) and Malwarebytes Anti-exploit (MBAE) despite trying to get clarification on their support forum.  I believe that in v3 those two products have merged.  That's the way it always should have been in my opinion.

Tuxman:
"Anti-exploits" are usually called "security updates".

wraith808:
more worried about malware than computer viruses
-Shades (January 09, 2017, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really dislike this distinction that the vendors try to use.  I don't care if the malware is technically a virus, a trojan, a worm, or whatever - I want my anti-virus/anti-malware/anti-whatever to stop it and/or uninstall it.  For example I never really understood exactly what the difference was between Malwarebytes Anti-malware (MBAM) and Malwarebytes Anti-exploit (MBAE) despite trying to get clarification on their support forum.  I believe that in v3 those two products have merged.  That's the way it always should have been in my opinion.
-mwb1100 (January 10, 2017, 01:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I actually like the distinction, and appreciate the difference that they are trying to make.  If MBAM integrated all of the different variations into one product, they'd become as bloated as McAfee, Symantec, and all the others.  I like that they focus on malware, rather than trying to be anti-virus software.

jNizM:
All I use next to Windows 10 Defender is just:
- Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET)
- Sandboxie
- Brain.exe

Never get anything on my PC since Windows XP

If you want / need a firewall and you own / buy a small PC (like Intel NUC) give Endian Firewall (Community) a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version