ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

how to learn finance

<< < (2/7) > >>

kalos:
Thanks IainB

however:

1) the definitions you posted are not very comprehensible, is there a resource with definitions in simple terms?
2) I cannot find definitions of terms I may come across, I need a complete table of the ALL the relevant terms and their definitions and how they work etc, that's why I need a complete reference, is there any?

mouser:
It's long overdue for me to learn some basic personal finance/investing/saving subjects.

For me I need book though.  So if anyone has any amazon.com book recommendations I'd love to hear them.

IainB:
@kalos: Sorry if those links were "incomprehensible" definitions for your purposes. There would probably be a useful "Finance for Dummies" or a "Teach Yourself Finance" (or similar), which might be more readable. I hadn't thought of them.

40hz:
@kalos - Finance is not something you're going to learn by looking up definitions of finance terms any more than you're going to learn how to program merely by looking up a list of keywords in a programming language. Without some background in basic economics and accounting, all those financial terms are going to be largely meaningless no matter where you go for the definitions. IF you drop on over to this page, there's a list of online courses you might want to consider taking to get yourself up to speed. The microeconomics, basic accounting, and intro to corporate finance are the ones you'll want to take a look at.

If you're in a rush, have a business background, and just want a conversational grasp of finance, check out the Corporate Finance and Personal Finance for Dummies titles for a quick & dirty crash overview of the subject. With those under your belt you'll then have the necessary background to begin to explore all the facets of finance you're interested in.

40hz:
It's long overdue for me to learn some basic personal finance/investing/saving subjects.

For me I need book though.  So if anyone has any amazon.com book recommendations I'd love to hear them.
-mouser (January 12, 2017, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Finish Rich series by David Bach is one good group of personal finance titles you'll want to take a look at.

Another good author is Dave Ramsay. His Total Money Makeover is good. As are Suze Orman's books. They both have similar central tenets but have different approaches so it might not be a bad idea to read one title from each author if you're new to this.

If you need a good simple approach to setting up a personal and home budget, and get in the personal finance/money management mindset, send me a PM and I'll sent you a link for something you'll want to download and read.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version