ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Can I get some opinions on this -- CCSIO Benchmark?

(1/2) > >>

apankrat:
Hi fellas,

I'd like to get your esteemed opinions on my little Xmas side project - https://ccsiobench.com

CCSIO stands for Cold-Cache Sequential IO

It's a little benchmark that tries to find the best way read/write large files at a given location, be it a local volume, a virtual mount or a remote share

You basically tell it "C:\Foo" and it tells you "Max read speed is 2144.3 MBps if using 8 x 2MB buffers in direct IO mode."

The way it works is that it goes through a list of (io-buffer-size, io-buffer-count, io-mode) combinations, measures bulk throughput for each and tallies up the results.

Homepage has exact benchmark description and there's a longer, more technical description over at Fundamentals of Fast Bulk IO page.

The back story of this is that I've been building myself a machine and considered various ways to settle in - with a VM, with a portable USB drive, with a TrueCrypt container, etc. - and, being a mature adult that I am, wanted to check what performance penalties I'd be looking at for each option. I found some benchmarking apps (CrystalDiskMark, HDTune Pro, etc), but all of them required manually changing the buffer size/count between the runs and none of them allowed testing with different IO modes. So as per usual I just did a teenage eye-roll and wrote what I wanted. You know the drill.

apankrat:
Evidently, I can't :)

skwire:
It looks great and I'd be happy to run it on my gear for you.  =]

apankrat:
I'd very much love that, thanks.

Give me a day. I'm adding a screenshot sharing option.

apankrat:
> Give me a day.

That worked out to be a pretty long day.

1. Added an option for viewing a complete text report and saving it. Will be adding an option of loading and viewing these next.

2. Added an option for Quick and Extended tests. Press Alt to show the top menu.

3. Added an option for sharing screenshots.

The output is an Imgur-style page with just the image, e.g. https://ccsiobench.com/s/mpFja.png

If you got some interesting devices, let's compare some screenshots, shall we?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version