Home | Blog | Software | Reviews and Features | Forum | Help | Donate | About us
topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • January 19, 2017, 02:59:03 AM
  • Proudly celebrating 10 years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can I get some opinions on this -- CCSIO Benchmark?  (Read 210 times)

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
Can I get some opinions on this -- CCSIO Benchmark?
« on: January 06, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »
Hi fellas,

I'd like to get your esteemed opinions on my little Xmas side project - https://ccsiobench.com

CCSIO stands for Cold-Cache Sequential IO

It's a little benchmark that tries to find the best way read/write large files at a given location, be it a local volume, a virtual mount or a remote share

You basically tell it "C:\Foo" and it tells you "Max read speed is 2144.3 MBps if using 8 x 2MB buffers in direct IO mode."

ccsio-bench-screenshot.png

The way it works is that it goes through a list of (io-buffer-size, io-buffer-count, io-mode) combinations, measures bulk throughput for each and tallies up the results.

Homepage has exact benchmark description and there's a longer, more technical description over at Fundamentals of Fast Bulk IO page.

The back story of this is that I've been building myself a machine and considered various ways to settle in - with a VM, with a portable USB drive, with a TrueCrypt container, etc. - and, being a mature adult that I am, wanted to check what performance penalties I'd be looking at for each option. I found some benchmarking apps (CrystalDiskMark, HDTune Pro, etc), but all of them required manually changing the buffer size/count between the runs and none of them allowed testing with different IO modes. So as per usual I just did a teenage eye-roll and wrote what I wanted. You know the drill.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:41:52 PM by apankrat »

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can I get some opinions on this -- CCSIO Benchmark?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »
Evidently, I can't :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »
It looks great and I'd be happy to run it on my gear for you.  =]

apankrat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • swapped.cc
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
I'd very much love that, thanks.

Give me a day. I'm adding a screenshot sharing option.

ccsiobench-sharing.png