topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DIA4  (Read 10883 times)

chesterw

• Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
DIA4
« on: December 08, 2016, 05:30 PM »
This is a character based file manager on steroids.  Roam hard drives.  Open programs.  Search for text within files.  Find files.
Press F1 for help.
Also includes a number of built-in utilities that operate on text files (even many MBs in size).
Once you get the hang of it, it's faster than Windows Explorer.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DIA4
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 05:48 PM »
Why DIA4 *and* DIA5 ?
spammy vibe from that what with the same text in each thread
Tom

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 05:57 PM »
Looks like there is a difference -- one is character based and one is gui based.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 05:59 PM »
Chesterw, in the current day and age of viruses, it's always a concern when new members post executables, especially when they are so brief and don't have websites, etc.  Can you tell us a little bit more about yourself, maybe post some screenshots for people who are not willing to risk installing your app but would still like to see some pictures of it and hear more about it.  And tell us about what you coded them in, what motivated you to code these apps, etc. Inquiring minds want to know.

chesterw

• Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 07:24 AM »
I've been coding for a few decades.  My favorite language is Delphi.  DIA4 is written in Delphi, which is probably why the false positive on the antivirus software, but DIA4 is clean.  DIA versions 1, 2, and 3 were 16 bit character based apps.  DIA4 is 32 bit, handles long file names, etc.

Over the years, I noticed that I repeatedly did lots of "Explorer" kinds of things, but kept starting and stopping a collection of programs in order to "get the job done".  As a programmer, I needed power and flexibility and speed.  I developed DIA, Does-It-All, long before Explorer, and long before object oriented programming.  The concept is that you view the files in a folder and you can take actions on a file in that folder.  DIA4 is a "keyboard friendly" application: you leave the mouse alone and keep your fingers on the keyboard.  It's faster than explorer once you get used to it.  It can call your favorite text editor.  The text file utilities are powerful and can handle huge files.

I've attached screenshots of the program and the (built-in) Help screen.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 10:54 AM »
thanks chesterw, apologies about the paranoia!
Tom

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 03:45 AM »
DIA4 is written in Delphi, which is probably why the false positive on the antivirus software

:huh:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 11:36 AM »
DIA4 is written in Delphi, which is probably why the false positive on the antivirus software

:huh:

I wondered about that too.  Never got a false positive on Delphi, as it's compiled, not interpreted like many of the others that false positives hit for.