ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Non IT Project Website

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
I forgot to mention Chapter 2 is now done, and I'm working on chapter 3.
-Stoic Joker (August 10, 2017, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

hope this not an awkward question:
how come your brother got a good functioning 1985 bike for 3,500 and yours, 1981, cost 3,000 and required a lot of work?
Is is the year, or are there other differences I'm misisng?

(Keep in mind I know nest to nothing about bikes)

Stoic Joker:
I forgot to mention Chapter 2 is now done, and I'm working on chapter 3.
-Stoic Joker (August 10, 2017, 03:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

hope this not an awkward question:
how come your brother got a good functioning 1985 bike for 3,500 and yours, 1981, cost 3,000 and required a lot of work?-tomos (August 11, 2017, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

LOL Yes! ...But it's a good kind of awkward... :D

Is it the year, or are there other differences I'm missing?-tomos (August 11, 2017, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes to both. My 81 has the older Shovelhead style engine, and is one of the first few years for that style of frame. So they weren't real popular back then...and became almost instantly rare because people were either cutting up, scrapping, or just not buying them. Me... I had an 82 FLT back in the day that I just loved...but had to sell to keep a business running ($$$). About a year later I got the 87 which I then road for almost 20 years, but it was the (like my brother's) newer Evolution (a.k.a. Evo) engine.

Needless to say parts for the Shovelhead era FLT's are a bitch to find. So my objective was just to find a Shovelhead FLT in as complete a condition as I could find ...(body parts, locks, instruments, etc.) And deal with the other crap later. But had also already planned to do most of the modifications anyway because of advances made in the various (braking, suspension, etc.) technologies.

My brother OTOH was just looking for a good deal on a bagger because he had already fallen in love with mine..  :D

...And then there the whole just being lucky(er) part, as both bikes were purchased as-is, and came home in a truck. So while Alice's odometer only showed 14k miles ... It was an aftermarket item that made it impossible to know exactly what her mileage/history really was. And then there's the fact that she had apparently been previously been owned by a two fisted, whisky drunk, alcoholic, orangutan that should not have been allowed to have hand tools.[/quote]

tomos:
^ okay, so you weren't ripped off ;D (I didnt honestly think that would have been the case)
thanks for the background  :up:

In the photo of both together, I'd prefer the look of Alice, but that's probably mainly down to the lights and handlebars. (But the other bike has a lot of character too, and they look great together.)

I'm learning some lingo here as well e.g. bagger, Shovelhead enginew.
May as well give your link while I'm at it
http://www.stoicjoker.com/Alice/Chronicle_pg2.php

Stoic Joker:
^ okay, so you weren't ripped off ;D (I didnt honestly think that would have been the case)
thanks for the background  :up:-tomos (August 11, 2017, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Tis truly my pleasure. There's tons more, but I'm at work/rushing a bit ... Hence the dangling /quote tag above..

In the photo of both together, I'd prefer the look of Alice, but that's probably mainly down to the lights and handlebars. (But the other bike has a lot of character too, and they look great together.)-tomos (August 11, 2017, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, Alice's retro classic vs. Nightmares "The 80's" look...that's why I decided not to bother with trying to track a (just like nightmares, original) replacement fairing for her. I'm kinda digging the classic look too.

A close look at that picture will show the (subtle to the untrained eye) difference in Alice's much newer and larger late model front brakes. Alice will stop on a dime...Nightmare won't.

I should probably try to get a pic of (Trixie too) all 3 of the girls together one of these days.

I'm learning some lingo here as well e.g. bagger, Shovelhead enginew.
May as well give your link while I'm at it
http://www.stoicjoker.com/Alice/Chronicle_pg2.php
-tomos (August 11, 2017, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Truly glad you're enjoying the story, but be careful you don't get sucked in to far end up wanting one. I went out for a beer with one of our company's IT clients Monday night for the sole purpose of discussing how best they could pickup a bagger (like Alice..). Because they had seen Alice when I showed up there on a service call, and heard her tail.
Me, my brother, the client ... She's quite the little siren it appears.. ;)

colder69:
Nice bike! And yeah the website may need some improvement, but not bad for a start.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version