ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2017

NANY 2017: CSearcher - A simple and fast free non-indexing search program.

<< < (9/14) > >>

hugo nabais:
hugo nabais,

Great program! Super fast, lots of searching filters! In some cases, I use CSearcher instead of FARR.

One thing would be beneficial: Favorit (search) Folders.
-BigBadPlayer (March 20, 2017, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi

I'll see if I can insert favorite folders.

But for now you can use the Load/Save criteria, witch I use when I want to load favorite search folders.
I think it can also do the trick for you.

hugo nabais:
CSearcher has had some relative success, I've had thousands of downloads on my site and until today I only received one donation. It was something I expected but it is still a bit of a disencouraging and leaves me with little motivation to continue to evolve into more complex features.
I need to find this motivation (and some free time) to be able to implement these features.

Despite this I made another version  :D

Version 1.5.1.0 (May 8, 2017)
[new]   New option (menu Option) to limit Max number of results
[new]   New option (menu Option) to Keep results on new search
[new]   New option (menu Edit or shortcut key Alt+F) that copies to clipboard the folder of selected results
[fix]   Fixed a couple of bugs in keyboard shortcuts
[fix]   Fixed small layout bugs on main form

Downloads:
·http://www.hnsoft.pt/Repository/CSearcher/CSearcher_1.5.1.0.zip Compressed archive.
·http://www.hnsoft.pt/Repository/CSearcher/CSearcher_1.5.1.0.exe Self-Extracting file.

wraith808:
CSearcher has had some relative success, I've had thousands of downloads on my site and until today I only received one donation. It was something I expected but it is still a bit of a disencouraging and leaves me with little motivation to continue to evolve into more complex features.
I need to find this motivation (and some free time) to be able to implement these features.

Despite this I made another version  :D

Version 1.5.1.0 (May 8, 2017)
[new]   New option (menu Option) to limit Max number of results
[new]   New option (menu Option) to Keep results on new search
[new]   New option (menu Edit or shortcut key Alt+F) that copies to clipboard the folder of selected results
[fix]   Fixed a couple of bugs in keyboard shortcuts
[fix]   Fixed small layout bugs on main form

Downloads:
·http://www.hnsoft.pt/Repository/CSearcher/CSearcher_1.5.1.0.zip Compressed archive.
·http://www.hnsoft.pt/Repository/CSearcher/CSearcher_1.5.1.0.exe Self-Extracting file.
-hugo nabais (May 08, 2017, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

From personal experience, you have to find your reasoning to do it for it's own sake, and out of some sort of fulfillment other than money.  Whether it's the number of downloads, or the fact that people ask for you to do things (which means that they see value) or something else.

mouser:
I've had thousands of downloads on my site and until today I only received one donation. It was something I expected but it is still a bit of a disencouraging and leaves me with little motivation
--- End quote ---

It can be very de-motivating when that happens.  I'm afraid you're discovering an unpleasant truth about the world -- that few people will donate for a program if they can get it for free.
(However you may find that those that do are pretty special and interesting people who sometimes become friends).

The good news is that even when people don't donate it doesn't mean they don't really appreciate and like what you are doing -- so your work is still appreciated.

It just means that donating for software is still something that most people don't consider and can't be bothered to do. The situation has been made much worse since so much software is now funded by advertisements, because people have come to believe that everything should be free and funded by delivering advertisements to people, and with the advent of mobile "App Stores" where people don't expect to ever have to pay more than a couple of dollars for a program, etc. If you are curious you can read the article I wrote in 2006 about some of these issues, "When Do Users Donate?
Experiments with Donationware: Ethical Software, Work Equalization, Temporary Licenses, Collective Bargaining, and Microdonations": https://www.donationcoder.com/Articles/One

You will have to figure out how you want to handle this, and where it fits in to how you want to make money and spend your time.

The only thing I can tell you is not to judge the "value" of and appreciation for what you make based on the amount you receive in donations.  Decide what goals you want to achieve with your work -- wheter it's to produce good software to share with the world, or make money, or some combination of lots of things.  But don't rely on something as fickle as people's donations as your motivation.

I say ll this mostly for others who might be reading this thread, because one can tell already from the work you've done on this program and the enthusiasm you've shown already that you are part of the family of self-motivated real programmers who couldn't stop programming even if you wanted to.  To you I say, yes, it sucks that people don't donate more.  Take a moment to curse out the world, then shrug it off, find an alternate way to make a living, and keep enjoying programming.  :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:

Despite this I made another version
-hugo nabais (May 08, 2017, 08:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I downloaded several versions not realizing the program was written by someone on DC.  Seeing this thread I think I will put the new release on a USB just to try it out in a portable scenario.  Thanks for the software.   :Thmbsup:

Afa the donations my feeling is that one is most likely to receive a steady stream of donations if the software enables the user to get something else either very cheaply or for free.  Examples might be News readers or ICQ apps that make it easy to download binaries.  Or video conversion programs that squish a BluRay image into a file of more manageable size etc..  It seems like software that does a useful function in and of itself is less likely to provoke a contribution.  But this is just my visceral reaction, not the results of a scientific survey.  :)

For me the donation is an unexpected event that makes me feel good that someone liked my software enough to take the time to send the donation and a comment.  Mouser makes a good point about the $1.99 - $4.99 "cheap" software Apps available these days.  I have to wonder how much they can really pull in at those prices.  But in my short experience using Android I could believe the downloads are multiplied by the fact the store search is built in and people know where to look for most things.  So if one developed a media player or something similar maybe sales in the thousands and more could be possible. It would be interesting to see some data on how much the most popular Apps actually take in.

Edit:  It looks like I may not be able to give the application a fair trial.  My Laptop has issues where it cannot update .NET or do other Windows Updates.  Many programs that use Windows Installer I have to install/uninstall multiple times to get them to go on the system etc..  So it may not be an issue with others.  The symptom is an unhandled exception with some text about "mouse drag" and .NET form code.  According to the dialog it loaded .NET 4.0 assemblies.

It looks like I may be due to get a Windows 10 machine as much as I hate the idea of pushed updates.  Windows 8.0 is kind of a dog in many ways, at least on this system where I cannot update out of it to 8.1 or newer.

Edit2:  If I select Continue in the unhandled exception dialog then do a simple search the program goes away.  Likely my system does not play well with any software that requires .NET 4+.  So I would suggest not wasting time to trouble shoot it.  This Lappy was an "Open Box" purchase and trouble shooting those it a real time thief.  Which is why the original purchaser returned it I am sure.  :)

If I get something else Windows to try it with I'll give CSearcher another try then.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version