topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: MS Virtual PC is now free  (Read 21696 times)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MS Virtual PC is now free
« on: July 12, 2006, 12:28 PM »
Microsoft continues its ’Netscaping’ of VMware.  I’m surprised this step took so long, since Virtual Server has been free for a while now. I wonder how many (few?) copies of VPC have been sold since that happened.  In any case, this virtualization stuff (VMware, VPC, etc.) is fantastic - even better when it's free.

I'm in the process of moving my main system from one computer to another.  I migrated the machine to a VMware virtual machine to help keep things usable during the transition. 

So far, I've been in 'transition' for months now - I've had no reason to actually set up the system on the new hardware, I'm just running the VM on it.  I'm not a gamer, so in general things are going great.

“Virtual PC 2004 SP1 is available immediately for free download. In addition, Virtual PC 2007, which supports Microsoft Windows Vista, will be available for free in 2007”

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/jul06/07-12PartnerDay2UmbrellaPR.mspx

Here’s the download site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6d58729d-dfa8-40bf-afaf-20bcb7f01cd1&displaylang=en

Too bad there are not more details on VPC 2007.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: MS Virtual PC is now free
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 12:35 PM »
this is big news.. it's sure to cause some serious ripples.
i personally prefer vmware workstation to virtualpc a little bit, BUT the difference is not that great, and vmware workstation is not at all cheap.  MS offering virtual pc free is a BIG deal.

everyone should install this.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 02:03 PM »
Very big deal indeed! Glad to see microsoft has decided to make this freeware. A very good move. No doubt this is another one of those apps that still needs to be cracked for those that dont pass the WGA check :-/

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Watch out for the next wave of monopoly anti-trust cases ...

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 02:29 PM »
How can this be abuse of monopoly thou? I mean, surely, vmware making their product free and ms following suit cant be considered anti-trust, or am I missing something? Are other companies allowed to do it but not MS?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 02:49 PM »
this is not a commentary on monopoly, but it's important to note that the vmware equivelant of virtualpc (vmware workstation) has never been free, its $200.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 03:22 PM »
perhaps this would be good time for them to do so, i mean, wouldnt you think they make more on their server products anyways? for companies looking to deploy multiple installations on a single machine?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 04:54 PM »
I was more thinking of VPC being bundled with Vista !!

This is precisely waht has caused them hassles with monopoly claims because of Intenet Explorer and Windows Media Player being distributed with the OS. There have been monopoly cases now in the US and Europe over these and everytime MS have lost the case. You'd think there must be at least one person with a brain there that can see the problems looming ahead?

Actually I think they have got a brain on this - the fines are less than the potential benefits of locking people into MS software (by default) and then being able to monopolise and rewrite standards that affect all platforms.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 05:54 PM »
I honestly dont see it as a big possibility of monopoly abuse. I mean, vmware makes most of their money from the GSX/ESX. As long as MS doesnt make VPC locked into the OS, i.e. you can remove it, I dont forsee a problem. Anyways, from the following quote

Virtual PC Express is limited to only 1 single Virtual PC Image and supports Windows 9x, NT, 2000, XP, MS-DOS, and OS 2. Its designed to give Enterprise users the ability to use a earlier version of Windows for application compatibility if needed for applications that cannot be made to work on Windows Vista. Essentially it gives Enterprises the ability to upgrade and still be able to use their older software. Software Assurance customers get the right through licensing to run two operating systems - Vista and the "Guest" OS. Virtual PC will also offer 64-bit support as well.
-msfn.org

Looks like vmware still has the edge in that you can create MULTIPLE machines in vmware workstation while MS limits you to 1 installation and only of a MS os or compatible (OS2).

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 08:05 PM »
Note that Virtual PC Express is different from Virtual PC - it's a cut down version of VPC that MS announced (but have not yet released) as an add-on for Vista.  I suspect that now that Virtual PC is free (and VPC 2007) that Virtual PC Express will probably disappear as a Vista add-on feature.

I hope VMware can continue to make a go of it - they have some great technology.  Whether MS is doing anything illegal or wrong, I have my own not-so-strong opinons. It's clear that they certainly have the capacity to make life very, very difficult for anyone they'd like to see out of the way, and there are times I wish the field were a bit more level.  But, I do like the free software (until MS decides there's no more competition, so stops development themselves, as was the case for many years with IE 6 until Firefox came along and lit a fire under them).

Anyway, here's a catalog of free virtual machine software:

- MS Virtual Server Enterprise: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/software/privacy.mspx
     - MS Virtual PC: http://www.microsoft...1&displaylang=en

- VMware Player (this is really not equivalent to VMware Workstation, but nice for deploying pre-configured VMs): http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
     - VMware Server (basically the next version of GSX Server): http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

- Xen (open source).  I think this is currently for Linux only (as host and VM guest), but with new CPU virtualization support they will be able to host Windows (or any OS) as a guest: http://www.xensource.com/
     - QEMU (mostly open source):  http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

I think that most users will find MS Virtual PC to be the most straightforward to install and use.

I happen to use VMware Workstation because I already have it (bought it quite a while ago).  It has some very nice features above VPC (for me, snapshots and 'teams') which are very usedful for development and testing, but unless you know you need those features VPC is pretty much just as good.

Interestingly, while digging up the URLs for this post, I noticed that VMware Server just went from Beta to GA Release acouple days ago...  Now I'm off for another download.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 08:08 PM by mwb1100 »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 08:36 PM »
Don't forget to add my favorite, Altiris SVS. I like VMWare, but for evaluating software, Altiris is super simple, easy, and flexible. Oh, and free.

broken85

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2006, 12:34 PM »
Dammit, this looked awesome until I found out they have no version for x64 and no release date. Vista will probably be out by then and it will sort of defeat the purpose. Or maybe they'll roll it out soon.

(VirtualPC is still on the list for this month's drawing. Hopefully nobody ranked it too much higher than some of the other goodies on the list ;D)
--
Ben M

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 12:38 PM »
yeah, i have a few donated boxed copies of virtualpc from microsoft..
hmm maybe now we know why they donated them..

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 09:41 PM »
Dammit, this looked awesome until I found out they have no version for x64 and no release date.
I'm probably soundling like a broken record by now, but...

MS Virtual Server supports x64 (as a host - not guest VMs).  Functionally, it's pretty much the same as VPC (no soundcard support in the VMs), but it's not as user-friendly.  Even though support is advertised for Windows Server OS's , it'll run on WinXP Pro no problem.

Also, VMware has the free VMware Server which supports x64 (even in the guest VMs if you have the right CPU - not all x64 CPUs support this).

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 01:50 PM »
I'm using VMware and testing Vista inside of it and works like a dream...Afew hiccups but I'm sure in time VMware Workstation will sort itself out(Updates)...Just waiting for the RCI...Glass effects,Areo and speed very good...3 Cheers! for VMware workstation 5.5...PS: Wonder when VMware are going to have an update?...It's about time...Anyone Know?...
GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 03:30 PM »
It's been a while now since the last update - what incentive is there now for them when VirtualPC is free? Can't help feeling the desktop version may be made free and stop active development. Let's hope not.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 03:32 PM »
They wont stop development, they can still make money selling support contracts if they ever go freeware for workstation. Even so, they might make a version of workstation allowing creation of one vpc at a time, I can see that coming.

Baseman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 03:19 AM »
It's been a while now since the last update - what incentive is there now for them when VirtualPC is free? Can't help feeling the desktop version may be made free and stop active development. Let's hope not.

-Carol Haynes (July 21, 2006, 03:30 PM)
Thanks for the info, I think maybe now it will be a stiff competition to see who'll bring out the best in VirtualPC...And of course the best support...Remembering that there are already  Group Discussions/Forums ect in place...i.e. (Free Advice/support)...

GetBackData...Security Awareness...Beta Tester