ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

MS Virtual PC is now free

(1/4) > >>

mwb1100:
Microsoft continues its ’Netscaping’ of VMware.  I’m surprised this step took so long, since Virtual Server has been free for a while now. I wonder how many (few?) copies of VPC have been sold since that happened.  In any case, this virtualization stuff (VMware, VPC, etc.) is fantastic - even better when it's free.

I'm in the process of moving my main system from one computer to another.  I migrated the machine to a VMware virtual machine to help keep things usable during the transition. 

So far, I've been in 'transition' for months now - I've had no reason to actually set up the system on the new hardware, I'm just running the VM on it.  I'm not a gamer, so in general things are going great.

“Virtual PC 2004 SP1 is available immediately for free download. In addition, Virtual PC 2007, which supports Microsoft Windows Vista, will be available for free in 2007”

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2006/jul06/07-12PartnerDay2UmbrellaPR.mspx

Here’s the download site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6d58729d-dfa8-40bf-afaf-20bcb7f01cd1&displaylang=en

Too bad there are not more details on VPC 2007.

mouser:
this is big news.. it's sure to cause some serious ripples.
i personally prefer vmware workstation to virtualpc a little bit, BUT the difference is not that great, and vmware workstation is not at all cheap.  MS offering virtual pc free is a BIG deal.

everyone should install this.

Josh:
Very big deal indeed! Glad to see microsoft has decided to make this freeware. A very good move. No doubt this is another one of those apps that still needs to be cracked for those that dont pass the WGA check :-/

Carol Haynes:
Watch out for the next wave of monopoly anti-trust cases ...

Josh:
How can this be abuse of monopoly thou? I mean, surely, vmware making their product free and ms following suit cant be considered anti-trust, or am I missing something? Are other companies allowed to do it but not MS?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version