topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Send MSG to a different user having different IP address.  (Read 3769 times)

shadowman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Send MSG to a different user having different IP address.
« on: December 16, 2016, 11:55 AM »
Hello folks, i was wondering if i could send messages to a person who lives 5 km away from me having different IP address.
I know i can send mails, but i want to send messages to someone, and a notification popping up reminding them of an incoming messages.
Is there any software that can do that, i know Skype but the credits needs to be paid. So is there any software that can do that, or a simple
commandline trick that does it.  :huh:

Awaiting reply.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Send MSG to a different user having different IP address.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 12:34 PM »
Credits?  Skype is free under the circumstances that you say.  There are several other IM clients that are free also.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:37 PM »
For SMS:
http://afreesms.com/freesms/  for free sms. Other than being practically the first search result I have no knowledge/experience/whatever with this service.

There are several messengers out there. Skype allows for free messages (including video) to other Skype users. And that goes worldwide, I speak out of experience. Skype is not alone, Practically all messengers allow you to send messages for free to other users of their software. And all will notify the receiver in the tray (on a computer) or message hub of some kind on a smart phone (Android/iOS/WindowsPhone). If there is a client available for the operating system your phone is using, you can communicate.

Google HangOut, Facebook Messenger are a couple of alternatives for Skype. There are many more. Communication between different clients won't work. For example: An attempt to send a Skype message to a person that only has Facebook Messenger, that will always be in vain. This applies to all of these messaging services. For Windows I know of 2 pieces of software 'Pidgin' and 'Trillian' that are able to pull partial intercommunication off, but most of the companies behind the messaging services are actively trying to block this.

The XMPP messaging protocol (also called Jabber) is the most open messaging protocol I know of. And there is actually some nice (and free) server software available. I personally like (and use) OpenFire. If your internet provider allows for it (see the restrictions for the service you buy from them), you could set this server up and communication can commence through browser alone.

It would be handy, if you and the person you try to communicate with, have static IP addresses. Which is hardly ever the case with standard residential internet connections, unless you have a domain registered. There are ways to get a semi-permanent IP address/sub-domain (with limitations) for free, but this post is already getting long.

It cannot get less generic without detailed step-by-step explanation on how you want to communicate, what type of notifications should be used and on which devices all of this needs to be available on. Until then, your easiest and safest bet would be to have both you and the person you want to communicate with, use the exact same same messaging service on whatever devices you need this on. Then look each other up through this messaging software and create the connection between yourselves. Of course, both of you need to keep this software running 24/7, if you need/want that type of communication.

shadowman

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 06:03 AM »
Thank you @Shade and @wraith808: its kind of complicated for a measly job it could do despite all the other complicated things a pc can do.
But i was looking for a more easy process like mentioned in this thread:
Windows 7: Message - Send to Local PC on LAN in Windows 7 and Vista
But i found another site that does the job of sending a sms txt in easy steps. Send SMS. It works for me and the network provider is from my country itself.
But i will look more deeply what Shade's mentioned. But thank you guys for your generous time. Take care.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 12:32 PM »
Very simply stated: the things the article refers to (after a very quick glance) are only usable in a LAN. This is a network environment where you can have all the control you want, as it is the network you have built at your home. Things change drastically when you make use of the internet, your ISP severely limits what you can (un)conscientiously do there. And rightly so, if a continuously working internet is the goal.

Unless you plan to throw a direct line to the intended destination, such as a cable, a rental line (if there are still phone companies in your region that have those) or WiMax antenna/receiver system (requires a municipal and/or state radio license) you will never create a LAN environment between your place and the other location. Only if there is an unobstructed view between your place and the other location you could try to set up a WiFi system with high quality directional antennas and try if you can cover the distance that way. Covering 5 kilometers will still be tricky and fickle with WiFi at best. WiMax is way better in that regard.

The MSG/NetSend commands are usually blocked by ISPs, because those have been used for transferring viruses and malware. Remember that the internet was built in an era where only a few institutions could afford the computers and hardware needed for communicating with other similar institutions. I mean to say that there was hardly any need for built-in security in those days. All tools described in the article still consider that level of trust to be valid in this day and age, where everyone and their grandmother is trying to make monetary gain from everything you dare to connect to the internet (your computing resources (botnet), your bank/credit-card info (identity theft) or blackmail (ransomware)). And that's just FaceBook  :P

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 12:46 PM »
you will never create a LAN environment between your place and the other location

One could also do this using something like Hamachi VPN to create a "local" network between OP and friend.  However, at that point, you might as well just use any of the myriad of instant messengers available and just be done with it.