ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

SAS updates continue after expired subscription

<< < (2/2)

MilesAhead:
Thought I would update this a bit.

The SAS Application updates continue after expired subscription as well.  :)

Unlike most people, I presume, I watch the update process happen and today I got a fleeting glance of the app update along with the virus definitions.

It happened too quickly for a screen shot... maybe next time.
-crabby3 (December 14, 2016, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is there a difference between continuing with this and switching to the free version?  I can understand if it is already installed and both code and db are updating, not switching for the sake of switching to the free.  But I am just curious.

crabby3:
Thought I would update this a bit.

The SAS Application updates continue after expired subscription as well.  :)

Unlike most people, I presume, I watch the update process happen and today I got a fleeting glance of the app update along with the virus definitions.

It happened too quickly for a screen shot... maybe next time.
-crabby3 (December 14, 2016, 09:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Is there a difference between continuing with this and switching to the free version?  I can understand if it is already installed and both code and db are updating, not switching for the sake of switching to the free.  But I am just curious.

-MilesAhead (December 15, 2016, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not switching is my choice but I have never used the free version so I don't know if there is a difference.  Should there be?

BTW  You have said "I have been using the free version of SAS for years."  Have you been getting app updates too?

Sometimes curiosity kills the app.  If it aint broke...   :)

MilesAhead:
Not switching is my choice but I have never used the free version so I don't know if there is a difference.  Should there be?
-crabby3 (December 17, 2016, 09:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Without looking at the comparison chart my guess would be the paid version has some real-time function and automatic scans.  I think the free one is manual scan only.

BTW  You have said "I have been using the free version of SAS for years."  Have you been getting app updates too?

--- End quote ---

Yes, both database and program update.  If I remember rightly I have to download the free version and install it over the current one.  It's no biggie.  In fact for a long time you could download the portable one free.  Now they call it a technicians version and want payment.  So I switched to the free that requires installing.  All I ever use it for is quick scan anyway.  The database update only requires clicking a link in the Gui.  I used to run AdAware also.  But SAS was the only one that I could configure without a lot of hassle, to ignore stuff I did not want scanned.  At least at the time.  AdAware and others may have changed their settings to make it easier.  I don't like scanners that are too enthusiastic to take action without asking.  Programming hotkey stuff I get a lot of false positives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version