topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Scrolling crop as a standalone tool  (Read 5100 times)

GSz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Scrolling crop as a standalone tool
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:30 AM »
I cannot express how useful Screenshot Captor is to my life. (I believe it's time to add some donation money  :))

Anyway, my love today is director to the Scrolling window cropping step (the last step of the scrolling capture).
I would really like to see this as a 'standalone step'.

Why would this be useful you ask? Good question.

I use remote control sessions quite a lot - and take screenshots while on those sessions.
This introduces 2 limitations:
  • Time - I collect screenshots to preserve time, and have a 'local view' of what I saw remotely.
    For this reason I have SC setup to save the capture automatically without interfering or asking what to do with the capture.
  • The 'object' of interest is remote, embedded in the local 'remote session' window.
    This means that SC can't 'pick out' the region out of a 'flat image' (which is the remote session).

After the session is over, I summarize my thoughts/findings and make use of the screenshots.

For remote scrolling content, I've made it a habit to use the "Grab selected Region" option, followed by the "Grab Repeat last size+pos" and grab multiple images at the same location (after scrolling manually).
Later, using the excellent drap-n-drop option in the editor window, I combine them into a single scrolling capture, and I manually "Splice Out" with the SpecialFX2 menu item.

If I cold launch the Scrolling window cropping wizard on the combined file, it would make this process a lot faster.

Can the scrolling window cropping wizard be launched explicitly? (I searched the forum, but couldn't find information about this)
If so how?
If not, I'd love to see this as an update.

Thanks mouser for a fantastic tool.
- Sincerely
    Lockszmith

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Scrolling crop as a standalone tool
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 01:32 PM »
I use remote control sessions quite a lot - and take screenshots while on those sessions.
This introduces 2 limitations:
  • Time - I collect screenshots to preserve time, and have a 'local view' of what I saw remotely.
    For this reason I have SC setup to save the capture automatically without interfering or asking what to do with the capture.
  • The 'object' of interest is remote, embedded in the local 'remote session' window.
    This means that SC can't 'pick out' the region out of a 'flat image' (which is the remote session).

Interesting.
This might be of use:
As to the first point - Time: Though I have no need to do it remotely, when working on different client devices, I avoid taking notes and I too "save time" (and especially I record data) by collecting appropriately useful screenshots with text in them as a record of what's happening. I mostly use MS OneNote for that, since it screen-clips and automatically saves the screenclips to a predefined location - e.g., (say) a cloud-based common Notebook - where the images are OCRed and the text is indexed, ready for search.

On the second point - Inaccessible screen images in a 'remote session' window: Though I have never experienced that particular problem, I have occasionally been able to get screen clippings of things that were perhaps not easily accessible for screen clipping, using ScreenCapture ($FREE) from http://limelect.com/...oads/screen-capture/
It uses the program handle to catch  the screen.
This allows hidden screen to be saved.

By the way, in a separate discussion thread some time back, I had suggested consideration be given to building-in OCR functionality to CHS (Clipboard Help & Spell) for when it captures image clips. This could be enormously useful as CHS seems to pick up any image clips that are happening. I suggested this after Microsoft released their proprietary OCR API for application developers.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 11:56 PM »
Ok so you want to launch the last page of the scrolling window capture tool on an arbitrary image, presumably this page:
scsnip.PNG

Can you explain what functions on that page you can actually make use of?

GSz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:39 AM »
Revisiting this, as it seems I neglected @mouser's response (apologies for this), I believe I posted this originally when I was really busy, and never really returned back to see what the answer was.

So, mouser, to answer your question - all of it: the #1 and #2 automatic detection - when these work, it's awesome!. And all of the manual tweaking and setting of margins is fantastic when the automatic detection don't work.

I use the editor manually today (with it's great drag and drop stitching), but moving a notch by single pixels is rather uncomfortable compared to how the final step of the scrolling capture tool.

So - what I would really like to see, this final step as a standalone action/application that can be fed a png/jpeg.

[Promise to keep a closer eye for a response this time :)]
- Sincerely
    Lockszmith