topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Malwarebytes 3.0 out  (Read 22018 times)

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Malwarebytes 3.0 out
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Malwarebytes just released a new version of their anti-malware product, which appears to combine some of their previous products:

https://forums.malwa...tivirus-replacement/

With the combination of our Anti-Malware ($24.95), Anti-Exploit ($24.95) and Anti-Ransomware (free, beta) technologies, we will be selling Malwarebytes 3.0 at $39.99 per computer per year, 20% less than our previous products combined and 33% less than an average traditional antivirus. But don’t worry, if you are an existing customer with an active subscription or a lifetime license to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, you will keep your existing price and get a free upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0.

From the FAQ in that post, it looks like they will be honoring lifetime licenses (makes me happy, since we have 3 of them running atm :-*).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malwarebytes 3.0 out
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 01:19 PM »
I tried it today.  I made a post in their forum that it forgets settings.  Hopefully they will fix this.  The examples I included in my post, disable tray notifications, disable stats gathering and sending to their server.  Change to another tab in the setting and come back, or quit the program and run it again.  The settings return to the default.  The only setting that seems to survive is changes to the exclusion list.

The other thing that would be nice is multiple select in the exclusion list to remove more than one at a time.  But that is just a convenience feature.

Edit:  Until they fix the settings I have reverted to 2.x.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 01:48 PM »
Just adding my 2 cents that Malwarebytes has always seemed like a good product.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 01:55 PM »
just in time to replace Agnitum's Outpost Security Suite (to be abandoned new year)  :tellme:

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Edit:  Until they fix the settings I have reverted to 2.x.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't upgrade yet, guess I'll wait until the next patch is out :Thmbsup:.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:29 PM »
I too want to thank Miles Ahead, both for announcing the arrival of Malwarebytes 3 and, especially, for letting us know that there may be problems with it.  I went to the Malwarebytes forum, and there were LOTS of people with a number of different problems.  It seems like it shouldn't have come out of beta quite so soon.  I'm staying with version 2.2 for now.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 06:51 AM »
I too want to thank Miles Ahead, both for announcing the arrival of Malwarebytes 3 and, especially, for letting us know that there may be problems with it.  I went to the Malwarebytes forum, and there were LOTS of people with a number of different problems.  It seems like it shouldn't have come out of beta quite so soon.  I'm staying with version 2.2 for now.

You are quite welcome.   :up:

Although not a "problem" per se I do not like the fact that v. 3 makes you kill it from the Tray Menu if you do not want to leave it for real time protection.  With v. 2 you could just click the 'x' and both the program window and the tray icon exited.  But more importantly, as you point out, there are some substantial problems still to be worked out with v. 3.

btw I did announce the problem but not the arrival.  I guess I am by nature a skeptic.  :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 05:15 PM »

btw I did announce the problem but not the arrival.  I guess I am by nature a skeptic.

Oops.  I should have thanked Jibz for the announcement. :-[   Thanks, Jibz. :up:

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 05:44 PM »
v3 is still a bit buggy in operation. Randomly crashes on multiple startups for starters.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 12:53 AM »
FWIW I ran Ninite the other day and it decided I was going to test MalwareBytes 3 :-[.

So far it hasn't crashed, but it does seem to slow down my computer a lot during its automatic scan.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 08:45 AM »
FWIW I ran Ninite the other day and it decided I was going to test MalwareBytes 3 :-[.

So far it hasn't crashed, but it does seem to slow down my computer a lot during its automatic scan.

The way I "cheat" with MBAM to get a quick scan is I open it, update the database, then I select perhaps the newest 21 files in my download folder, right click and select Scan with MBAM.  It is much faster than a threat scan and finds most things like Pups and any registry baddies.  It stops at file test rather than going into the heuristics scan that takes forever.  Now and then I do the threat scan just to be safe.

You have to open MBAM and update the database first before selecting files and using Explorer context menu to start the scan.  Otherwise you will end up with the threat scan.  It took a bit of experimenting until I found this work-around.  I did it once with v. 3 before uninstalling.  So it should still work.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 08:31 PM »
Version 3.05.1299 was released today and it seems to have fixed all the problems that I was having with the last version.

Takes a while for Malware Protection to turn on and activate, but it eventually does. There's also an extraneous red exclamation point currently super-imposed over the tray icon, but everything is activated & the main UI states I am fully protected.

LATER EDIT: A reboot cleared up any weird anomalies. Now it's working & behaving in all respects.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:25 AM by Innuendo »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 01:17 AM »
Doesn't install here:

2016-12-20 17_24_55.png

EDIT: Had to reboot to Safe Mode before it would install.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:21 AM by 4wd »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 11:28 AM »
4wd, what a cryptic yet ominous error message. :D

Looks like they still have some problems then. My successful installation probably isn't typical as I have the benefit of a very recent clean install of Windows. Got a new video card so wanted to do a fresh install to see what UEFI was all about as my video card was my last component holding me back.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Looks like they still have some problems then.

It happily told me a new update today, Download and Install?

Exactly the same problem, so it wasn't just a v2 -> v3 thing ... it also unregistered itself after I rebooted from Safe mode to Normal boot.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 04:28 PM »
It's really not surprising that some computers are having troubles. This is a major, major update. They're rolling their Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware applications into the Anti-Malware app so I'm sure that's going to mess something up on some PCs.

That they are adding all this functionality while honoring old lifetime licenses, though, is to be commended.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 05:34 PM »
Anyone tried it since Christmas. It's been awhile.

Clipboard01.jpgMalwarebytes 3.0 out    Clipboard01.jpgMalwarebytes 3.0 out

Malwarebytes 3.0.6 with stability and performance improvements

Malwarebytes v. 3.0.6.1469 Released

I know the first screenshot isn't 3.0.6.1469, but it was the latest screenshot available on Google Images.
The second screenshot is from what I have downloaded, but not installed(yet!).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:50 PM by Arizona Hot »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 10:48 PM »

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 08:31 AM »
For me, 3.0.6.1469 cleared up issues of slow starting and general browser slowdown.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

jadinolf

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 09:45 AM »
At first the program was so bad I could not install it on 2 of my 4 computers.

But now since 3.0.6.1469 became available all is well.

The folks at Malwarebytes were a little too quick to release the program to the world.
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 11:34 PM »
I have installed the 3.0.6.1469 version with no problems yet. I will shake that down for a few days before installing it in the 64-bit Windows system.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 04:10 PM »
I keep checking back on the MBAM site (and here) to see where things stand.  Although version 3.0.6.1469 seems to have cured some of the problems, people are still reporting too many as yet unresolved problems, and not just a single individual but multiple people reporting the same problem.  Today, someone posted a message saying "There are rumors of a component update coming on Feb 22 and a new release on Feb 26."  Perhaps that will finally do the trick.  I realize that there will always be someone whose idiosyncratic system can't accommodate a given piece of software, but I haven't yet felt ready to move from MBAM 2 (which I like a lot) to MBAM 3.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 05:53 AM »
Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner works well for me.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Vienal, welcome to the forum.  I've used and highly recommended Malwarebytes for years.  And I'm still very happy with version 2.  In theory, version 3 sounds like it has a lot going for it, but the feedback on the Malwarebytes forum and elsewhere has made me wary of upgrading.  Although some folks here and on the MBAM forum have said that the newest update seems to have cured the problems they'd been experiencing, others are apparently still having problems.  I tend to be conservative in these matters.  I'm usually in no hurry to install new software until I feel confident that I have more to gain than to lose.   But I'm still very very happy with Malwarebytes version 2.  I know of no similar program I like as well.

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 05:50 AM »
Malwarebytes 3.0.6.1469 .jpgMalwarebytes 3.0 out   Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733 .jpgMalwarebytes 3.0 out

It took many restarts but I now have Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733 . Anyone else have it yet? The first version is the original update. Afterwards, I was informed of another update and many restarts later Malwarebytes could be seen and I could get the second screenshot.

Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733 Final

Performance/protective capability
⦁   Multiple enhancements result in reduction of memory usage
⦁   Faster load time and responsiveness of third-party applications
⦁   Improved performance of Web Protection
⦁   Faster Malwarebytes 3 program startup time and responsiveness of user interface
⦁   New detection and protection layer with machine learning based anomaly detection (to be deployed gradually even if it shows "enabled" under Settings)
⦁   Improved Self-Protection by requiring escalated privileges to disable protections or deactivate a license
⦁   Enhanced malware protection techniques and remediation capabilities
⦁   Added an automatic monthly scheduled scan in Free mode
Usability
⦁   Added ability to control the priority of manual scans on the system
⦁   Added setting to turn off 'Real-Time Protection turned off' notifications when protection was specifically disabled by the user
⦁   Added ability to exclude the last website blocked by Web Protection via the tray menu
⦁   Fixed several defects related to configuring Custom Scans, including selecting child folders and fixing issues with touch screens
⦁   Fixed problem where a right-click context scan appeared broken after scheduled scan due to misleading "Cannot start a scan while another one is in progress" message
⦁   Fixed issue where you could not add or edit a scheduled scan in Spanish and some other languages
⦁   Fixed issue where scan could appear stuck on Heuristics Analysis when it had actually completed successfully
⦁   Fixed issue where Self-Protection setting would fail to toggle correctly after an upgrade
Stability/issues fixed
⦁   Fixed several crashes in the Web Protection module
⦁   Fixed issue where Ransomware Protection would be stuck in 'Starting' state after a reboot
⦁   Fixed a conflict with Norton that caused web pages not to load and plug-ins to crash in Chrome
⦁   Fixed issue with WMI protection technique in Exploit Protection that could cause Office applications to crash
⦁   Fixed several crashes related to the service and tray
⦁   Fixed security vulnerabilities that could be chained together to perform local privilege escalation
⦁   Fixed many other miscellaneous defects and user interface improvements

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 05:57 AM by Arizona Hot »