ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

C Users Journal Nostalgia

(1/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
From 1990 to 1994 R&D Publications of Lawrence KS published 8 of my articles in their various magazines.  The name of the company was a play on words as the publishers were Robert and Donna Ward.  The best known of the magazines was The C Users Journal which later changed its name to The C/C++ Users Journal once C++ burst on the scene.

Of the 8 articles 4 were published in CUJ and the other 4 scattered across the other magazines.  The hard copies I had are long gone and it has been so long I cannot even remember the titles of the non CUJ articles.  But the reason for this burst of nostalgia is I managed to find 2 more of my CUJ pieces.  The C Users Journal articles are archived online.  I used to have a CDROM with my other articles but it is no more.

In any case if it was not PC Magazine most people were not familiar with these computer magazines.  But now and then I run into an old time C programmer who remembers CUJ.

I could not find any covers from the issues in which my pieces were published but here is a cover shot just to give an idea what the magazine looked like.

Nothing is as dated as old source code.  As example, one of the articles is titled A Universal C++ Data Type.  I am sure any programming student in the college here would immediately ask me "why didn't you just use the STL?" (standard template library.)  The answer being it was not implemented yet.  I think Borland Turbo C++ came out with an update with the STL included about a year after I wrote the piece.  But even though the code is obsolete the prose is not too bad.  (It was helped by the fact the Editor in Chief reordered the wording in quite a few of the sentences. I tended to use passive voice.)  :)

I usually don't mention my publications to anyone since programming magazines were in effect trade journals and nobody outside of coding circles really cared even back then.  But it was nice to get some positive encouragement while I was studying coding on my own.  Not to mention the publications served to get me work in the industry without previous experience.

I guess when one is of retirement age it is OK to look back at some things.  I only regret my stint as a Software Analyst was so short lived.  20 years of that kind of work would have provided me with a nice nest egg.  :)

The links are pasted in chronological order.  Note that any contact info in the author's bio sections is obsolete.  I no longer live in Massachusetts nor have any of the email accounts mentioned.

Also I am curious if the bookmarks will drag and drop right into the post here or if I will have to format them myself.  :)

Buffering Mouse Events

The Evolution of a Binary Tree in TurboC

A Universal C++ Data Type

Multithreading with OS/2 and Borland C++

(For those curious the links dragged but I had to cut and paste them over the Title text.)

I am glad at least the archives provide some evidence that I did some of the stuff I claim.  People tend to discount most everything you say if you do not have a permanent address.  Strange as it may seem.  :)

xtabber:
I had a subscription to C/C++ Users Journal and thought I had a CD-ROM with all the code from it.  I looked for it after reading your post and couldn't find it, but if it turns up, I'll let you know.

MilesAhead:
I had a subscription to C/C++ Users Journal and thought I had a CD-ROM with all the code from it.  I looked for it after reading your post and couldn't find it, but if it turns up, I'll let you know.
-xtabber (December 02, 2016, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks,  Nice to hear from another CUJ enthusiast.  :)

cranioscopical:
Nice to see some of your work, Mr. Kelly.  :Thmbsup:

mouser:
Nice!!!!  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version