topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements  (Read 49457 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 05:28 AM »
After searching the DC Forum for a Win10 tweak today (2016-11-09), I reckoned that a simple collection/index of pointers to such tweaks would have been useful for me and would have saved me some time and might similarly be useful for other forum members too, so here goes: (We may need a Wiki...)
It's a bit of a tedious manual exercise, but if forum members find that it is likely to be of use, then I shall try to maintain/update the index with any pointers - if members could kindly post the links in comments to this thread.

Index: (Last updated 2017-07-30)
General:

wow, ^this is a great resource!
should be advertised more (maybe when this new CMS gets rolled out? and/or you could put it in your signature?)

And, yes, a wiki would be helpful in this kind of situation...
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 09:28 AM »
Hopefully in the CMS we'll have a space for a user maintained wiki; I think that was one of the purposes of the CMS transition.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Quickly find and launch Settings in Windows 10 with the LeeluSoft Settings Quick Launcher (or Quick Settings Launcher).
I today downloaded and trialled this $FREE liteweight 3rd-party tool and, interestingly, it seems much quicker to get at the Settings that way than using the conventional, relatively constipated search through the nested Settings pages in Windows 10. Worth a look-see anyway.
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Quick Settings Launcher 1.0
Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Quick Settings Launcher is a free and portable one click launcher for different Windows10 settings pages.
The Windows10 settings application can be a little confusing sometimes, Quick Settings Launcher is a mini utility that provides a simple and Straightforward list of all the settings pages and a one click launcher for each page directly.

Quick Settings Launcher is a portable application, installation is not needed, just unzip and execute SetQL.exe.
The application can run from any folder or removable drive.

Quick Settings Launcher features:
-Straightforward list of all the settings pages
-A one click launcher for each page
-Can be minimized to system tray or start minimized with '-m' as parameter
-Display the executed URI.
-Portable and small size executable

Supported OS: Windows10, some pages may also work with Windows8/8.1 (never tested).

Note:
Whether a settings page is available varies by Windows SKU. Not all settings page available on Windows 10 for desktop are available on Windows 10 Mobile, and vice-versa. also additional requirements (hardware or software) may be needed for a page to be available.

Freeware by LeeLu Soft

Download Quick Settings Launcher portable (764kb):

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2017, 08:05 PM »
EDIT 2017-10-19: Added these to the relevant parts of the Index in the OP:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 03:34 AM »
also from leelusoft: Windows Quick Boost http://leelusoft.altervista.org/windows-quick-boost.html

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks- System Font [Size] Changer
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2018, 07:48 PM »
I am running version 1703 of Win 10 Pro.  I cannot find those font settings anywhere.
I just now remembered to add this to the list for all those who may want to be able to change system font sizes in (apparently all versions of) Windows 10, despite Microsoft having rudely removed said functionality:
Refer:
All I can say is that the ability to set these system font sizes and boldness is one of the best things someone with eyesight problems can do to improve the readability of their computer screens.
Try it and see.
(I've added this to the Index in the OP.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:06 PM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2018, 11:08 PM »
also from leelusoft: Windows Quick Boost http://leelusoft.altervista.org/windows-quick-boost.html
Added to Index. Thanks.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Blackbird updated to BETA version 1.0 a couple of hours ago.

https://www.facebook.com/getblackbird/
www.getblackbird.net (not ready just yet)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 07:12 AM »
For anyone who hasn't heard of BlackViper, outside of Microsoft he's probably the best source of what services do what in Windows and which ones can safely be set to manual, disabled, etc.

BlackViperScript by madbomb122 is a PowerShell script that displays a GUI and allows you to select various service configurations based on BlackViper's recommendations.

It allows you to perform a dry run to show what will be changed as well as perform a backup, (to .csv and/or .reg).

2018-05-23 22_04_16-Black Viper Service Configuration Script By_ MadBomb122.pngWindows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements

He also has another PowerShell script that allows you to tweak various aspects of Windows 10: Win10Script

2018-05-23 22_11_11-Windows 10 Settings_Tweaks Script By_ Madbomb122 (v.3.3.6 -May-22-2018 -Testing).pngWindows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 07:28 AM »
BlackViperScript by madbomb122 is a PowerShell script
Thanks!

1803 created so many problems for me that a madbomber's probably the best solution (that or a total wipe and  re-install of Windows).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 09:31 AM by Curt, Reason: hotfix »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 03:48 AM »
Blackbird version 1.0 hotfix 1.0.1 is finally ready:
https://www.getblackbird.net/download/
[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/getblackbird/

What's your experience with it? I'm considering running it, but unsure whether I might need some of the stuff it deactivates. I realize I can make a backup, so I suppose I might just try, but still interested in hearing if you or anyone else use blackbird

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2018, 06:54 AM »
I use Blackbird and I am pleased with it. I am however aware that because I dislike Microsoft Store and any thing of the sorts, I am not sure weather my pleasing settings are due to Blackbird or another of my many similar programs, or if I merely was lucky when first doing Windows' settings. But within my preferences, I have nothing bad to say about Blackbird. +There is a recover settings command prompt as well.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 10 - FIX if Windows Magnifier has black lens/window.
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2018, 12:17 AM »
If the Windows Magnifier (press Win and + keys) is displaying a black lens or screen window, then the likely cause is the NVIDIA graphics driver. The fix is to force the magnify.exe proggie to work with the standard GPU - not the NVIDIA GPU.
(FIX copied below - my numbering of the solution steps.)
Windows 10 Magnifier Lens Window is Black

By BGGRIT on 2015-08-13
I have set up my magnifier (size, shape, magnification, and to auto start), but the lens window will randomly turn black (not the entire screen just the lens window).  Makes it difficult to navigate with my vision issues.

Any solutions would be appreciated.  Thanks

tonycol Replied on January 16, 2018
In reply to Major Instigator's post on January 15, 2018

I am by no means an expert on Windows 10, but I can let you know how I resolved the problem on my own PC. My PC has an nVidia graphics card which works just fine with all applications with the exception of Magnifier.

• Ensure nVidia Control Panel is installed and enter the control panel via a right click on the desktop screen, then select the nVidia Control Panel option in the context menu.
  • On the left side of the application which is open, there is the option for manage 3D settings. Select this option. I know you probably aren't bothered by 3D anything - it's just where the settings are.
  • On the right side of the screen select the 'Program Settings' tab.
  • If the drop down selector in part 1 does not contain magnifier (and it probably won't,) click the 'Add' button and then the 'Browse' button.
  • Navigate to c:\windows\system32\magnify.exe and double click on it. Doing this will add it to list.
  • Choose c:\windows\system32\magnify.exe from the list.
  • In part 2 choose integrated graphics from the drop down.
  • Click the Apply button.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
These could be useful:
Not sure if you will have seen these - possibly useful - discussions on DCF:

Also, if not already done, check out these potentially useful references: (some referred to in the links above)

My experience of modifying the inbuilt Windows system colours, fonts, etc. for people with macular degeneration is that such methods are constrained by being a bit complicated and are not entirely successful.
The built in "Ease of Access" mods in Windows, designed for visually-impaired users, also seem a bit limited.
If a web-based email access were used instead of the Windows Live Mail desktop program, then NoSquint could be ideal as its settings are pretty flexible and can be set for a given website.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2018, 01:18 AM »
Cross-posted:
@Curt:
Win 10 can easily be made look like an improved Win 7: ...
Thanks!   :Thmbsup:
I have just now updated the Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements with a "How to make Win10 look like...[another Win OS version]" link for these points you listed, under the GUI and Controls heading.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2018, 02:50 AM »
Is there any app or small tool something like PowerToy (which Microsoft used to release in past) for Windows 10?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2018, 06:11 AM »
@mahesh2k:
Is there any app or small tool something like PowerToy (which Microsoft used to release in past) for Windows 10?
Interesting question, but it is probably irrelevant to ask nowadays, or only of academic interest anyway.

There were several MS PowerToy apps., each doing a specific thing. They were rather useful and were issued post-launch for Windows XP and eventually became obsolete, or ceased to be relevant any more, or ceased to work under subsequent upgrades to the Windows OS.
Newer/more recent Windows OS versions generally seemed to get their own peculiar (discriminatory) additional features bundled with different system versions and their updates. For example, Win10-64 Pro might have some features that were deliberately disabled or not made available in Win10-64 Home, or whatever (which always seemed to me to be a moronic and insulting form of marketing and tantamount to telling the user "By the way, we have deliberately crippled the OS you have just bought. Too bad you're inferior, sucker. Have a nice day.").    :o

For information, I have copied to the spoiler below the text from the Tweak UI for XP.txt readme file, which I think I had updated with the relevant filenames/links (I have all the files in my archives anyway):
Spoiler
Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP
PowerToys are additional programs that developers work on after the product has been released to manufacturing, but before the next project has begun. These toys add fun and functionality to the Windows experience!

We've taken great care to ensure that PowerToys operate as they should. These programs run on Windows XP client only. They provide additional value to some of the great features in XP. However, the PowerToys were not subjected to the same rigorous testing we provide for the operating system and are therefore not supported. Microsoft Technical Support is unable to answer questions about PowerToys.

The PowerToys are installed into the directory you specify during setup. Typically this is the system32 directory (%windir%\system32).

Some of the PowerToys reside in the taskbar. Before resizing these PowerToys you will first need to check and make sure that the taskbar isn't locked. Right click the taskbar and ensure there is no check mark by 'Lock the Taskbar' menu item.

To uninstall the PowerToys, open Control Panel and then launch Add/Remove Programs. Find the entry for the PowerToy that you wish to remove and choose Change/Remove. You can remove one or more of the Powertoys in this way.

Toys released for Windows XP Client:

1. Open Command Window Here: (File: http://download.micr...erePowertoySetup.exe).
This PowerToy adds an "Open Command Window Here" context menu option on file system folders. This gives users a quick way to open a command window (cmd.exe) pointing at the selected folder. After installation, right click on the folder you would like to have a quick launch command window for and select "Open Command Window Here."

2. Tweak UI: (File: http://download.micr...kUiPowertoySetup.exe).
Provides access to system settings that are not exposed in the Windows XP default user interface. There are many settings and options that you can only set from Tweak UI. You can setup your mouse to your liking by setting click speed, hover sensitivity, etc. You can also customize many Explorer settings, taskbar settings, My Computer settings, and a wide variety of other settings.

3. Power Calculator: (File: http://download.micr...alcPowertoySetup.exe).
This calculator has the support to graph and evaluate functions as well as performing many different types of conversions.

4. Task Switcher: (File: http://download.micr...tchPowertoySetup.exe).
This PowerToy enhances the existing Alt + Tab application switching mechanism of Windows XP. It provides a thumbnail preview of windows in the task list and is compliant with the new Windows XP visual style. You use this just as you do the existing Alt + Tab mechanism. Press and hold the Alt key and then press the Tab key to cycle through the running applications. When the desired application is highlighted release the Alt key. You can move backwards through the task list by pressing and holding the Shift and Alt key and then pressing the Tab key.

5. Image Resizer: (File: http://download.micr...zerPowertoySetup.exe).
This PowerToy enables you to resize one or many image files. When resizing you can choose from one of four standard sizes or choose a size that you specify. You can also choose to resize the original image or create a new one. Right click any image(s) and select 'Resize Pictures' in the context menu.

6. CD Slide Show Generator: (File: http://download.micr...howPowertoySetup.exe).
Enables you to view images burned to a cd as a slide show. Add only images to a CD-RW drive using Windows XP Explorer and then write these files to a CD-R or CD-RW disc. A new task is presented in the wizard for generating the autorun for the slideshow. Now when you take this disc to another computer that isn't running Windows XP you can still view your images as a slide show.

7. Virtual Desktop Manager: (File: http://download.micr...manPowertoySetup.exe).
Manage up to 4 desktops from the Windows taskbar. You can choose a different background for each desktop and run different applications on different desktops. Right click on the taskbar, click toolbars, and then click "Desktop Manager."

8. Taskbar Magnifier: (File: http://download.micr...ierPowertoySetup.exe).
Allows you to magnify part of the screen from the taskbar. This is very similar to Magnifier that can be found under the Accessories menu on the Start Menu except that this PowerToy remains in the taskbar and has a smaller viewing area. Right click on the taskbar, click toolbars, and then click "Taskbar Magnifier."

9. HTML Slide Show Wizard: (File: http://download.micr...genPowertoySetup.exe).
This wizard helps you create a slide show of your digital pictures. When you're done, you can put your slide show on the Web so that your family and friends can view it. Follow the steps of the wizard to select and arrange your pictures, choose from a few simple options, and then save a Web-ready HTML slide show to a folder.

10. Webcam Timershot: (File: http://download.micr...hotPowertoySetup.exe.)
This PowerToy allows you to take pictures from one of the webcams connected to your computer at specified time intervals. When a picture is taken it is saved to a location and with a name that you specify. A simple save option allows you to save all the pictures or only the last picture taken. You can save the pictures to a network share, an ftp share, or an http webdav share.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 06:16 AM by IainB »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2019, 04:00 AM »
within my preferences, I have nothing bad to say about Blackbird. +There is a recover settings command prompt as well.

Blackbird was just updated to 1.0.5: https://www.getblackbird.net/download/

- but installing it resulted in the blue screen of death:

WARNING: Stopcode: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
-my Windows 10
!!!!!!!!!!

Now I cannot enter Windows on my PC, so I cannot "recover settings".

Maybe you should not install 1.0.5

--------

In the end I had to reset my PC, and I then crossed my fingers and installed version 1.0.5 again. This time it's good.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 03:14 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2022, 07:13 PM »
Blackbird
Last update: Jun. 26, 2022  |  Version: 1.0.85.1

https://www.getblackbird.net/download/

#Last edit:   Jun. 26, 2022  Blackbird Changelog
>   v1.0.85.1 - Latest
- Added a shitload of new hosts to blacklist
- Performance optimizations made to host blocker and startup scanner.
- Blackbird is no longer limited to a maximum of 9 switches at runtime.
- Disabled browser notifications, tips, site suggestions and geolocation (Edge/Chrome).
- Disabled MS Troubleshooter and patched associated MSDT URL vulnerability (CVE-2022-30190).
- Disabled ads and search suggestions in Explorer.
- Disabled Shared Experience.
- Disabled Activity Feed.
- Disabled scheduled tasks: Device User, Logon, Cellular, CDSSync, USO tasks
- Disabled Intel Telemetry service.
- Fixed DeliveryOptimization regkey set to wrong value.
- Fixed host blocker not obtaining correct network metric values when multiple physical NICs are present.
- Fixed /i switch not properly restoring notifications/"Action center" on Windows 10.
-Blackbird Changelog