ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 10 - Collection of Hacks, Tweaks, Improvements

<< < (5/9) > >>

IainB:
How to improve ergonomics/perception/readability of text across all applications in Windows 10: Adjust System font settings.
This could effectively transform the readability experience for people who - like me - have to use reading spectacles for reading from laptop screens.
(The image below was been "sharpened", and the text it contains is in the spoiler below the image.)
The text in the menus for all my applications are now made more readable with this simple change. Adjust and test the settings by trial-and-error to see what best suits your peculiar needs.

Spoiler      Adjusting the text (font) size/weight via the Control Panel:

Screen clipping taken: 2017-03-29 08:35

Text (font) size/weight settings: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display
       --- Change size of items
      I just now had to recreate these settings as my changing the DPI
      From 100% --> 125% reset all such settings to default.
      I did not make a note of the default settings, but I recall that they were all smaller than the settings I settled on, below. I had not made a note of my previous settings (which were "just right"), so these latest ones may need to be changed on a trial-and-error basis until I get them just right again.
      Text item
      (Not sure)
      My setting 2017-03-29
      Title bars
      9? Normal
      12 Bold
      Menus
      9? Normal
      11 Bold
      Message boxes
      9? Normal
      10 Bold
      Palette titles
      9? Normal
      10 Bold
      Icons
      9? Normal
      10 Bold
      Tooltips
      9? Normal
      10 Bold
      The result of these settings was to make the text on most application windows/panes visually more legible.

techidave:
IainB
I am running version 1703 of Win 10 Pro.  I cannot find those font settings anywhere.  I have looked in Control Panel and also in Settings.  Searching for "Fonts" or "Display" doesn't reveal them either.

4wd:
I am running version 1703 of Win 10 Pro.  I cannot find those font settings anywhere.-techidave (August 01, 2017, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's gone in 1703, all you've got now is a percentage scaling under Settings->System->Display->Scale and layout.

There may be settings in the registry that can be written directly.

cranioscopical:
This WinAero page might be worth a look. (http://winaero.com/blog/message-boxes-text-size-windows-10-1703/)

Might want to look here first (http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/en-us/website-safety-reports/domain/winaero.com/)

IainB:
techidave:
...I am running version 1703 of Win 10 Pro.  I cannot find those font settings anywhere.  I have looked in Control Panel and also in Settings.  Searching for "Fonts" or "Display" doesn't reveal them either.
-techidave (August 01, 2017, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---
I am running Windows 10 Pro - Build 14393.rs1 release.170706-2004
Last update occurred on 2017-07-12
- it was: 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4025339)

The relevant settings page is rather buried away in the nested Settings menus.
The access to the font settings is: Settings-->System-->Display.
At the bottom of the Display page, select Advanced display settings - which goes to a page of the same name and with a subheading "Customise your display".
Scroll down the page to the bottom of the page and select the penultimate line (option), which says "Advanced sizing of text and other items".
Clicking on that takes you to an old-style (white) settings window, where there is a sub-heading "Change the text size only", under which is where the text changes (that I mentioned above) can be accessed.

It's really simple/quick to make and check/test/change-again the new settings from that page, to see how they affect the display. I suggest playing around with those till one finds what one likes.
Before I discovered that page, I used to use the WinAero tool (which worked OK, but was not as quick and easy as using the Settings).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version