topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 9:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: computer not recognizing scanner  (Read 4086 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
computer not recognizing scanner
« on: November 02, 2016, 08:35 PM »
I have a Epson Perfection V500 Photo scanner that I cannot get the computer to recognize.  I have tried it on 3 different model of computers, 2 different USB cable and all I get is "Unknown Device".  I have tried different USB ports too. 
I have tried different OSs, win 7 and 10 64 bit.  It was working on a win 10 computer that was upgraded from Win 7.  But unfortunately that computer bit the dust.

I have downloaded the latest drivers from the Epson site and also have used the Cd that came with the scanner. 

We also have a Epson Perefection V600 Photo Scanner with the same issues.

I can plug other USB devices like a mouse and it works fine.

any ideas?

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
Re: computer not recognizing scanner
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 04:32 AM »

ConstanceJill

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 11:36 AM »
If no OS recognizes those devices, maybe they're just f*cked.
Like, there was all that talk about "BadUSB" a few months back... perhaps those devices got pwned? Or somebody just tried to update their firmwares and it failed?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 12:01 PM »
I don't think it's likely that the devices are bad.. but i believe i did have a good epson scanner that epson simply decided they didnt want to support anymore, and i could never get it recognized under win7/win10 because there was no updated driver for it.  there may be a generic solution to such cases but i never found one.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 07:05 AM »
Well... Epson's site says it's Win10 compatible...without any conditions. So assuming that the software and driver combo was installed prior to the scanner being connected. If the device still is not being properly recognized. I gotta go with Jill on this one, it sounds like the device is borked.

When was the last time either one of the scanners worked?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 07:42 AM »
Well if it has a win10 driver then it should work, i wouldn't give up on it yet.  try another cable would be the first thing.

Now one technique that has worked in the past with usb devices is to connect it, go to device manager (show hidden devices), then find the entry for it, and DELETE the entry.  then remove and replug and let it find the driver again.  this can fix a problem where the wrong driver was associated with the scanner.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 11:18 AM »
I get where you're coming from, but he's already tried it using 2 different cables, on 3 different machines. So most likely there is either a procedural error being made during the install, or the device is borked.

There are some USB devices that require the software install be running when the device is plugged in so it can modify how the device is interpreted by the OS during driver/device installation. So if you just plug in the device and try to feed it a driver, it will never get the (software installer's) help that it needs to be identified properly. But since I'm inclined to assume TechiDave already knows that ... My guess is that the device is borked.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 07:33 AM »
Sorry guys, I thought I had already responded to this thread.

I did end up getting it to work on win 7, haven't tried it on win 10.  I changed the usb cable out with another one(new I believe) and it started working.

thanks for all the help and tips.

dave